Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: anyone see or know if the local lakes have been stocked?  (Read 4390 times)

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
anyone see or know if the local lakes have been stocked?
« on: March 27, 2010, 09:10:20 PM »

Would like to get the boy out tomorrow for some easy pickings trout fishing in the lml. The local lake have got to be getting some fish by now..... :-\

fishgutz63

Re: anyone see or know if the local lakes have been stocked?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 10:05:51 PM »

green timbers is a waste of time until they stock it, all the brood stock have been fished out by the regulars,try mill lake  but your chances are better from a boat or canoe 8)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 10:26:33 PM »

local lakes "might" get stocked next week however they will be done by the end of the week after for sure is what i was told. Green Timbers is not a waste of time but dont expect to catch fish after fish in any local lakes right now until they are stocked.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fishgutz63

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 10:34:49 AM »

dont disappoint your son stay away from green timbers till they stock it ,1 more week till they stock it so they say.also there, so many people that dont know how to read  signs that says dont feed the birds  and ducks,so they feed them right where everyone are fishing so you get them flying in from all over the lake landing in and around were your lines are,i know cause i had to cut my line cause it was badly tangled on a duck . ive had to tell people to read the signs.  >:(
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 11:15:41 AM by Rodney »

FishOn36

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 12:39:13 PM »

Green timbers is definitely a waste of time, been there twice in the last week and saw no action what so ever.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 03:25:27 PM »

next time your line gets tangled on a bird try and bring it in and let it go eh  >:( I had to do this myself years ago at Green Timbers. there was a duck stuck to the shore line weeds because some 30-40lb test was wrapped around its leg !! Im pretty sure that the duck appreciated the fact that i cut myself very deeply and withstood its bites to release it from the line. Trust me a duck gets alot of force when they use their wings in the water like oars  :( just because you cut the line means nothing for the bird get untangled, tangled is tangled !!

Do you really need to fish that close to the ducks when they are flying around ??? I seriously have fished this lake for 10yrs and not once tangled a duck in my line. I did once have a baby duck spin and grab my fly though one day, he was brought in and released while i got bitten by mommy duck several times  :( and yes duck bites frigging hurt !!

If you want fast a furious action then yes i would wait until the lakes are stocked however if you would like to catch a bigger one then its still worth a try because once the little ones get put in you wont see big ones get caught very often because the little guys feed alot more ferociously, well that and there is so many more of them.
Check out our new blog

fishgutz63

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 05:54:21 PM »

30-40lbs test is bit much for green timbers  ??? also sounds like your fly fishing and really how many people get close up to you while your casting.so i guess next time im float /bottom fishing  and these ducks come flying in i will just pick my stuff up and move along. fun.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 09:56:40 PM »

I didnt say that know did i  ::) I just was saying you could wait to cast or move your line in while they are flying in and landing, then re-cast. I do the same thing unless they see my dry line on the water and deviate their flight paths. I just fish with a strike indicator and chironie at G.T. anyways so my line is always out there where they can get in it but they dont, they do try to eat indicators quite a bit though thinking its powerbait  >:(

yes i agree that 30 + lb test line is just a little overkill for these fish but people do use it, i have seen them many times. I also knew it was heavy line when i couldnt just bite through it and had to use my dads knife that he luckily had on his waist. I even had someone yell at me to leave the duck alone and stop torturing wildlife until they noticed what i was doing, they then came and thanked me for saving the ducks life  ;) or at minimum its leg.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 09:58:54 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

anorden

« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 10:49:42 AM »

green timbers is a waste of time until they stock it, all the brood stock have been fished out by the regulars,try mill lake  but your chances are better from a boat or canoe 8)

Do brood stock make good eating fish??

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 10:55:18 AM »

Do brood stock make good eating fish??
it pains me to see people bonk and take those brood stock home. Don't eat them, just release them and allow other anglers to enjoy them by catching them.
Answer is no they are not good eating. Those fish have been sitting in the hatchery for a long time, they're old, coloured up, some often badly beaten up....not goot for eating. Think of them as a worn out old male gigilo of the hatchery.

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 12:21:02 PM »

They should have a lake somewhere in the LM designated as catch and release only into which they release brood stock. I would fish it to possibly catch and then release a bigger fish.

anorden

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 12:29:06 PM »

(yes it was supposed to be a tongue-in-cheek question!)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 12:43:26 PM »

I would like people to leave the broods there to be caught.  Some folks, however, are out for meat and they can, if they choose to, eat these *things*  :-X

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 01:21:22 PM »

They should have a lake somewhere in the LM designated as catch and release only into which they release brood stock. I would fish it to possibly catch and then release a bigger fish.

Such fisheries do exist in the Lower Mainland, or just outside of it. In a few weeks from now, Whistler lakes will be ice-free and fishing for pretty good sized rainbow trout and cutthroat trout will be available.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxXXMP4qVmE

Regarding retention of broodstocks, keep in mind that every individual views fishing differently. Some regard catch and release a form of cruelty, some do not mind taking a fish that large regardless its shape because they just started out fishing. That view may change as they gain more angling experience.