Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Barometers  (Read 2214 times)

Clarki Hunter

Barometers
« on: April 29, 2010, 06:54:03 PM »

I was wondering if anyone used a handheld barometer and any recommendations on a fairly accurate one that won't break the bank.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Barometers
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2010, 07:07:47 PM »

Are you sure you mean barometer and not thermometer ?

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2010, 07:10:06 PM »

You can get watches with barometers on them,casio makes them plus others.or look on ebay for others.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 07:56:22 PM »

Yep barometer.  I got a really nice Fish Pond thermometer for Christmas  :)

Nice tip ynot, I should of thought of casio, I think they have watches that cook your dinner now don't they?   ;D 

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 07:57:22 PM »

my gps has a barometer

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2010, 10:28:15 PM »

Barometers are an asset, but not functional in the short term. Air pressure changes as altitude changes. So you need recalibrate as you change your altitude, which means need to include the use of an altimeter. It can take six to twelve hours to get an accurate read of the weather pattern, after recalibration.

Watching the animal life is a quick and easy way to determine the direction of barometric pressure. The birds stop or greatly reduce their activity as the barometer falls and begin again as it rises. Animals react the same way.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 10:34:56 AM »

As one who collects and appreciates antique fishing tackle and materials, I say, "very nice, I would keep that one under lock and key."

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 10:36:21 AM »

Barometers are an asset, but not functional in the short term. Air pressure changes as altitude changes. So you need recalibrate as you change your altitude, which means need to include the use of an altimeter. It can take six to twelve hours to get an accurate read of the weather pattern, after recalibration.

Watching the animal life is a quick and easy way to determine the direction of barometric pressure. The birds stop or greatly reduce their activity as the barometer falls and begin again as it rises. Animals react the same way.

Thanks for the tech info newsman.  So something with both built in would be best... one that would make the appropriate adjustments based on altitude.  Realistically, I'm just interested in the LML data.  So perhaps a basic one would be fine.  Just trying to figure out some of the reasons for those skunky days when you know the fish are there.  A little data collection for the journal.  ;)

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 10:38:07 AM »

Fisherforever:  Did you get that from an old guy with a white beard, eye patch and pegleg?   ;D ;D ;D

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 11:11:15 AM »

Barometric pressure is only on of the factors in determining fish feeding behavior. Water temperature, water clarity and color, sun and moon positioning, odors, available food sources, and presence of known predators all factor into the equation too.