Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Belcarra, May 9th 2010  (Read 1538 times)

Bavarian Raven

Belcarra, May 9th 2010
« on: May 10, 2010, 06:51:50 AM »

fished belcarra yesterday, late morning to early afternoon from shore.
caught three small flounder and an six inch lincod ::)
then managed to hook in rapid succession three large striped-perch, two around ten inches and a third around 12-13 inch mark. i released all of them, because frankly i got to say, they are one of the most beautiful fish i have caught in years. with their bronze hue and bright blue trips and blue-ish black fins. i had to google what it was upon my return home. ::) nevertheless it was well worth catching them.

anyways a great day fishing :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 03:34:22 PM by Bavarian Raven »

liketofish

• Old Timer
Re: Belcarra, May 9th 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 01:00:16 PM »

Did you fish off the pier? How is crabbing there? I guess you must be fishing with worm/shrimp for the pile perch.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 02:06:40 PM »

Did you fish off the pier? How is crabbing there? I guess you must be fishing with worm/shrimp for the pile perch.
he said he was fishing from shore.
Crabbing can be good there, best times from the dock are an hour before high tide and an hour after. The left end of the dock is the best crabbing spot for dungeness, towards the other end you tend to catch mostly red rock. It's possible to catch your 4 for the day but I always pull slightly undersized dungeness. So the outtings tend to be longer.Definately a boast has the advantage to get out deeper to colder water.
 It's nice to hear there's some fish showing up in the waters there. something to do while waiting to haul traps.

ssd0904

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 04:06:52 PM »

he said he was fishing from shore.
Crabbing can be good there, best times from the dock are an hour before high tide and an hour after. The left end of the dock is the best crabbing spot for dungeness, towards the other end you tend to catch mostly red rock. It's possible to catch your 4 for the day but I always pull slightly undersized dungeness. So the outtings tend to be longer.Definately a boast has the advantage to get out deeper to colder water.
 It's nice to hear there's some fish showing up in the waters there. something to do while waiting to haul traps.

He;s exactly right. The left end is the best, and the right side is all red crab. When you are at left end, throw straight or 45 degrees and then you'll be more lucky. Just left side is good too, but stay there and dont go over to the right side. In a boat or kayak, you can catch A LOT of keeper crabs i saw this old man with the square crab trap (not the cicural one) catch like 20 good sized crabs.

OP: Can i ask you what bait and rig you used? Im expecting to go to Belcarra this weekend with my family and my mom's friend's family. We're gonna just have fun there, but i wanna catch some fish. Also was there a lot of crabbers? It's really annoying when it gets tangled.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 06:13:20 PM »

OP: Can i ask you what bait and rig you used? Im expecting to go to Belcarra this weekend with my family and my mom's friend's family. We're gonna just have fun there, but i wanna catch some fish. Also was there a lot of crabbers? It's really annoying when it gets tangled.

i was using just a sinker and worm, and off the rocks. the dock is full by 9ish on weekends so go early or find an isolated rocky point to cast off of.

ssd0904

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »

i was using just a sinker and worm, and off the rocks. the dock is full by 9ish on weekends so go early or find an isolated rocky point to cast off of.
Ok thanks you mean like the right or wth left facing the other side?

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 06:49:08 PM »

Ok thanks you mean like the right or wth left facing the other side?

if u are referring to shore fishing, any rocky outcropping along the beach or any of the trails provides decent fishing. if you are up to a hike, jug island's beach is good place to fish for flounder.  ;) best of luck