Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, May 10th 2010  (Read 2102 times)

hawg hunter

Chilliwack River, May 10th 2010
« on: May 10, 2010, 08:53:12 PM »

Hit the flow with Flyrod to swing some flies. Started at Lickman and Flyrod hit a couple of trout right away. A short while later as we moved down river I hooked up and landed a nice hatchery buck. A kelt but a steelhead nonetheless. My first on the Spey rod in the Vedder!  A quick picture and sent him on his way. A short time later I hooked up with what felt like another good fish. A short little run then slack line... Flyrod had to leave a littel early and I continued on down to the Train Bridge. Hooked and landed many small trout and called it a day around 2:00. A beautiful day out. Even managed a little sunburn.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 09:07:13 PM by hawg hunter »
Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish.  ~Roderick Haig-Brown

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
Re: Chilliwack River, May 10th 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 09:51:17 PM »

Way to go your first on the spey rod! Thanks for the report hawg hunter ;D

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 01:06:49 AM »

Nice fish man !!  ;D I was the other guy down there that Flyrod came and talked to before heading back up to ya. I had seen you tangling with your fish but didnt catch the landing/releasing until he said you had taken pics. Im glad to see the pic for sure  ;D

Sounds like you also got fooled by that one that was laying in that run. It pulled my rod out of my hand right after i had mended and was switching hands for some reason, I was lucky enough to catch the rod as it went for a ride and the NOTHING !!!  :'(

Glad to hear you popped your cherry !! I hope i can land one soon and pop mine as well.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

hawg hunter

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:52:13 PM »

Thanks Hook and nice jacket by the way!
Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish.  ~Roderick Haig-Brown

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 12:42:44 PM »

Sounds like fun.  What fly patterns work on the Vedder this time of year?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 01:05:05 PM »

asking what flies are working is not the way to go about it. I like to fish things that are smaller & lighter then what i toss in the winter time. Alot of guys have been doing alright with fry patterns because of all the fry out however you tend to catch alot of the little stealhead smolts this way as well. This is why i use patterns that are just large enough that the fry cant get hooked up, trust me they still tug at it all the time though  ::)
Check out our new blog

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2010, 07:58:11 AM »

A little 8" smolt hit my 4" black/red popsicle last week. Confused me for a sec.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 10:45:48 AM »

ya i know those things are rediculous. They were hitting my 4" bunny leech all day long. Im just glad they cant grab a size 4 hook very well  ;D Its also good because they keep you on your toes for the larger strikes  ;)
Check out our new blog

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 12:31:53 PM »

asking what flies are working is not the way to go about it. I like to fish things that are smaller & lighter then what i toss in the winter time. Alot of guys have been doing alright with fry patterns because of all the fry out however you tend to catch alot of the little stealhead smolts this way as well. This is why i use patterns that are just large enough that the fry cant get hooked up, trust me they still tug at it all the time though  ::)
Thanks.  I will have to try fly fishing the vedder sometime soon.  Only ever gone out there for Salmon in the fall.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 01:25:35 PM »

March & April are by far the better months for the fly fisherman and even for the gear guys for that matter but definetaly for the fly guys. May has been slowing down from what i have heard by talking to guys/gals out on the flow.
Check out our new blog