Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Como Lake - dead fish floating up  (Read 7764 times)

gcal

Como Lake - dead fish floating up
« on: May 20, 2010, 07:22:10 AM »

I was at Como Lake yesterday.  There was a lot of floating, dead baby catfish (also one trout) in the water.  City crews came around to collect them.  I also saw an Environmental Research van in the parking lot. 

The water is full of weeds (milfoil?).   Perhaps it's reduced oxygen levels in the water because of all the geese around, and the recent warm weather.   Perhaps it's something more.    I did catch a couple of rainbows, but I gave them away.  Other fishers also caught fish.   

Just a warning to all for now.   It's probably safe to eat the fish, but I was just being careful.

I think there is also a Children's fishing derby happening at the end of this month at Como Lake.

Coquitlam City council just approved an geese egg addling program to reduce the population.   

www.coquitlam.ca/.../CITYDOCS906565v1Regular_Agenda_April192010_10_4.PDF
www.coquitlam.ca/.../CITYDOCS692852v1BCoquitlam_River_Stakeholder_Engag.pdf

salmonlander

Re: Como Lake - dead fish floating up
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 10:49:51 AM »

Lake is posted as recent fish kill, no fishing till further notice.

bklem

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 12:23:40 PM »

the duck poo concentration has reached 100%, there isn't any water left in the lake for fish to survive in.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 12:40:01 PM »

COQUITLAM, BC, May 20, 2010 – Environmental officials from the City of Coquitlam and Environment Canada were alerted Wednesday that a number of dead fish were spotted along the shores of Como Lake.  Staff from both organizations were dispatched to the lake, did an initial water quality analysis and collected samples for further evaluation.

Mayor Richard Stewart met with representatives from both the City and Environment Canada.  “The City is working with Environment Canada to try and find out what the cause of this was and whether additional precautions are necessary,” said the Mayor.  “Como Lake is a very important natural amenity to Coquitlam, and we are hopeful that the cause can be found quickly.”

The City has taken the precautionary measure to close the lake to fishing while the investigation takes its course.  Temporary signage has been installed around the lake indicating that fishing is prohibited until further notice.  City staff will patrol the area advising people not to fish in the lake until further notice.  Lafarge Lake at Town Center Park remains open for fishing enthusiasts. 

Results from testing are expected by the end of this week.

The City of Coquitlam has a 24 hour spill response telephone number that the public is encouraged to call if they witness any unusual conditions in the City’s watercourses.  The number is 604-927-3500.

-30-

For more information, contact:

Steffanie Warriner
Manager Environmental Services
604-927-3536

Funeral Of Hearts

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 07:18:47 PM »

Id love to know what the result of the tests are. If anyone finds out, let us know.

Verdi

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 08:57:14 PM »

Took my daughter there tonight to go fishing, so we walked around the lake and played on the playground instead..
I did not see any more dead fish floating, and there was , what seemed to be the same amount of surface activity of fish jumping..
so i hope the problem is fixed, it does not look like a total disaster..
I hope it is fixed soon, como is a great place to fish with a playgound right there for bored kids...

Sea Nymph

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 06:12:18 AM »

They really need to clamp down on the people feeding the geese and ducks. There are signs posted everywhere but the birds just keep om coming back because of the buffet.

arimaBOATER

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 07:29:05 PM »

Wonder if putting some water fountains at each end of the lake or a big one in the middle would help.
Say water spraying 30-40 ft in the air on an angle...thus when the water hits the surface...etc...it would put alot of oxygen in the lake & surely would keep the fish more active & healthy.
It's so small & shallow & the water is so calm most times...& the bird poo sure doesn't help.
 Home fish tanks always has moving filtered water & little air bubble bars etc....why not this lake...
Lost Lagoon ( Trout Lk too ???) in Vancouver has water fountains.

Nutterbug

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 08:27:31 PM »

Is the bird poop at hazardous levels?

Verdi

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 08:41:16 PM »

From what i have heard, the fish that died, where on the east side by the dock, and were mostly catfish, which means something by the bottom of the water table my guess.

Does anyone know the number of fish that died and were they all catfish?

Britguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 09:21:07 PM »

were they all catfish?

There was a lot of floating, dead baby catfish (also one trout) in the water.

Wonder if putting some water fountains at each end of the lake or a big one in the middle would help.
that is a great idea  :)
not sure where the money would come from though :-\

Maybe there was a spillage in one of the creeks feeding the lake ???

searun17

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 10:56:31 PM »

some of the dead fish were catfish with some dead trout as well,i went for a walk there this evening and all the signs are gone and there was a couple of the regulars already fishing, so I'm sure an announcement  should be forthcoming if it hasn't already been announced that it is open again.
Our kids are the future of our sport,take them fishing,teach them well and the rewards will be many.

azafai

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2010, 07:19:48 AM »

water fountains a brilliant idea
I even think it is a must there

Sea Nymph

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2010, 03:13:51 PM »

That's a good sign, so it should be a go for the kids derby next week.