Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Pontoon vs. Float Tube  (Read 11014 times)

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
Re: Pontoon vs. Float Tube
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2010, 04:52:43 PM »

Pontoon boats can fit in almost any car except for a smart car.  This past long weekend I took a trip up to Kamloops for some trout fishing.  In my VW Passat sedan we fit an outcast 9 ft. pontoon (with standing platform), and an 8 ft. pontoon boat, 4 fly rods, tents, sleeping bags, pump, 5 days worth of food, close to 100 beers, nets, 2 pairs of waders and boots, oars, gear, etc.  Oh yeah and 2 regular sized people were able to comfortably fit in it as well.  We could have fit even more stuff if needed and I was still able to fully see out of my back window.  All this without even using the roof racks! 

If I were you I would certainly go with a pontoon boat.  One pro I did not see mentioned is how far one can go on a lake with a pontoon versus a float tube.  I would love to see how long it takes for someone to get from the boat launch at Roche Lake to the good fishing holes (not including monster bay) with a float tube!  Couple that with a windy day (which is normal for Roche) and you have almost no chance! 

One pro for the float tube is that you can travel with it on planes to other fishing destinations throughout the world as it can fit in your suitcase easily with room to spare. 

For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567

one more cast

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2010, 04:56:53 PM »

Pontoon boats can fit in almost any car except for a smart car.  This past long weekend I took a trip up to Kamloops for some trout fishing.  In my VW Passat sedan we fit an outcast 9 ft. pontoon (with standing platform), and an 8 ft. pontoon boat, 4 fly rods, tents, sleeping bags, pump, 5 days worth of food, close to 100 beers, nets, 2 pairs of waders and boots, oars, gear, etc.  Oh yeah and 2 regular sized people were able to comfortably fit in it as well.  We could have fit even more stuff if needed and I was still able to fully see out of my back window.  All this without even using the roof racks! 

If I were you I would certainly go with a pontoon boat.  One pro I did not see mentioned is how far one can go on a lake with a pontoon versus a float tube.  I would love to see how long it takes for someone to get from the boat launch at Roche Lake to the good fishing holes (not including monster bay) with a float tube!  Couple that with a windy day (which is normal for Roche) and you have almost no chance! 

One pro for the float tube is that you can travel with it on planes to other fishing destinations throughout the world as it can fit in your suitcase easily with room to spare. 

100 beers ;D
Were you 2 sober enough to fish? LOL  ;D ;D ;D

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2010, 11:25:54 AM »

100 beers ;D
Were you 2 sober enough to fish? LOL  ;D ;D ;D

Lol.  Barely.  We were glad to have all that beer once the snow and hail started though!
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2010, 08:09:19 AM »

In regards to the two posts above, I had a "cheap" candian tire classic pontoon boat that would fit in to my large hiking backpack and hiked into lakes.... In a back pack!!!!

I'd be a little surprised/chocked a pontoon boat would not fit into a car... But maybe the higher end ones don't break down???

--There is such a variety.. not just cost.. you can get specialty boats two person pontoon, lake, river rated for hells gate or pontoon intended for backpacking

--without knowing what a person expects to do with the boat we can only give general advise.
--usually the more specialized you get the boat.. for example back packing, light weight light or no frame the less usefull it may be as an all around boat.
Some of the new high end boats have no frame and are still river rated. some frames are bolted together rather than using quick release pins.