Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Otter stole my fish  (Read 7660 times)

Nutterbug

Otter stole my fish
« on: May 31, 2010, 09:44:35 PM »

At Buntzen Lake on the boat dock yesterday.  It was a nice size catch too.  About a 14" rainbow.

Put it in a chum bag to keep cool.  Suspended it on a fishing line, since the dock was raised too high out of the water for the length of the bag's draw strings.  About a half hour later, heard a big splashing noise while retackling my line.  Went to check it out, and lo and behold, it was gone, bag and all, with just the torn fishing line left.

Resumed fishing, and soon saw a big 3-4 foot length (including tail span) four legged mammalian creature rise from the depths of the water to check out my float.  Saw that it was inedible and retreated back down.

Bastard!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Otter stole my fish
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 09:48:32 PM »

Otters got to eat too ;D That sucks.

Nutterbug

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 09:59:28 PM »

It was a day when all the other fishermen who were all boat fishermen were getting skunked, except for one other, and I was the only one fishing from land, so having this catch was a great source of pride for me too.

ynot

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 12:31:01 PM »

I was in silva bay years ago with 2 doz. live herring in my bait tank which i bought in vancouver,when i returned from the thrasher pub they were all gone,otters got them.
had to run over to gibsons the next morning to get more.after that kept the top of the tank locked.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 04:01:21 PM »

Thats nothin' :)

I was fishing a local lake this april, kneeling down in ankle deep water releasing a cutty that I'd just landed.  Otter came in and literally took the fish from my hands.  I hadn't yet got my hook out and the otter almost took my rod with it.  Broke off as soon as I got tension on it... he wasn't giving up.

MrWiseDood

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 07:24:52 PM »

I dont think otters live in lakes. S:

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2010, 08:00:20 PM »

I dont think otters live in lakes. S:

I can assure you they do  :-*

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2010, 08:09:02 PM »

Thats nothin' :)

I was fishing a local lake this april, kneeling down in ankle deep water releasing a cutty that I'd just landed.  Otter came in and literally took the fish from my hands.  I hadn't yet got my hook out and the otter almost took my rod with it.  Broke off as soon as I got tension on it... he wasn't giving up.

That is also nothing... try having a seal take a pink right out of your hand when you are standing in waste deep water and almost knocking you over.
That was an adrenaline rush and a half, especially watching it rip the pink apart in front of me..  :-\

metalfisherman

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 10:29:17 PM »

I saw two otters in rice lake few weeks ago.

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 11:08:47 AM »

That is also nothing... try having a seal take a pink right out of your hand when you are standing in waste deep water and almost knocking you over.
That was an adrenaline rush and a half, especially watching it rip the pink apart in front of me..  :-\

Well that's nothing too!  Try having a killer whale take your leg off below the knee while you're drowning in a whirlpool in the middle of a shipping lane! ;)

Yeah the seals are scarier.  We saw a guy get knocked over by one last year on the beach(going after the fish he was landing).  Funny stuff :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 11:23:29 AM »

This is madness, I think we need a otter cull.

bklem

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 12:28:02 PM »

This is madness, I think we need a otter cull.

is that your answer to everything?  ;)

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 02:58:29 PM »

Too funny, this exact thing happened to me at the Seymour mouth a few pink seasons ago.  Swamped me over my waders, scared the crap out of me.

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 01:06:35 AM »

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 07:35:45 PM »

I had a Heron try to steal one of my bows on the Thom a few years ago. That lesson taught me what the back pocket on my fly vest is for.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"