Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fly hook size for trout?  (Read 9684 times)

FishOn36

Fly hook size for trout?
« on: June 04, 2010, 05:12:42 PM »

I'm looking to get a fly box and load it up with all the popular patterns used around these parts, just for trolling mainly. I'm wondering what size hooks I should be going for? I bought a couple of Royal Coachman's a couple weeks back, size 10 I believe and they seem quite tiny but I did catch a small trout trolling it.

Suggestions?  :-\

edit: Can leech patterns be trolled on the surface?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 06:03:46 PM by FishOn36 »

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
Re: Fly hook size for trout?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 04:59:25 PM »

If you are going to be mainly trolling, I would stick with flies in the size range of Size 8-12.

As for trolling leeches on the surface, not the best but make sure the fly has a bead head or add a split shot or two and you should be OK.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 07:04:19 PM »

If you are going to be mainly trolling, I would stick with flies in the size range of Size 8-12.

As for trolling leeches on the surface, not the best but make sure the fly has a bead head or add a split shot or two and you should be OK.

Rick

yup x2.

Leeches = deep presentation, usually.
You can troll chironomids if trolling is your thing too.  When we were kids we did quite well dragging chironies around..size 16 moose manes.  Actually you can troll pretty much any fly of any size around.  Not as effective as casting but you'll still catch.

FishOn36

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 01:15:09 AM »

Probably a dumb question, but would I hook up a couple split shots about 18" ahead of the leech like you mentioned in another thread or could I just add say a small split shot directly in front of it? If that makes sense... :-\

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 06:27:11 AM »

Try getting yourself into watching The New Fly Fisher on tv if possible. the host mentions in several shows how he adds split shots right by the head of the fly to help give it action and sinkability. I have never tried trolling leeches on a dry line, always been done with a clear slime line or a faster sunk line. Way more effective i think.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 08:19:54 AM »

go to Canadian tire and buy a $15 full sink line, add 30ft of 6-8lb mono then tie on a leech pattern. if you put out all the sink line,
troll slow, it will be down about 10ft.
I just use bead head wooly buggers

FishOn36

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 01:51:57 PM »

go to Canadian tire and buy a $15 full sink line, add 30ft of 6-8lb mono then tie on a leech pattern. if you put out all the sink line,
troll slow, it will be down about 10ft.
I just use bead head wooly buggers

I'm currently using spinning setups for this, as a I don't have a fly rod (yet ;D).

FishOn36

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 08:11:46 PM »

Try getting yourself into watching The New Fly Fisher on tv if possible. the host mentions in several shows how he adds split shots right by the head of the fly to help give it action and sinkability. I have never tried trolling leeches on a dry line, always been done with a clear slime line or a faster sunk line. Way more effective i think.

What channel is that on?

colin6101

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2010, 12:40:23 AM »

Here's another good show that is available for viewing online as well.
http://www.sfotf.ca/watch-full-episodes-index/

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2010, 02:46:34 PM »

What channel is that on?

The best channel on TV: WFN - World Fishing Network.

Tuesdays are fly fishing days when they run mostly fly fishing shows.  The New Fly Fisher is one of the best.
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567

cohojoe

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2010, 11:25:50 AM »

try a weight on your spinning out leader to get down.   then slow,  jerky ,  erratic,   zig zag,   then wham .    make sure your rod or line is attached to your belt loop with a carabiner. 

Once my newbie fishing buddy  laughed at me when I suggested attaching the rod or line to something on the boat or his clothing.    I will never forget the humble pie he ate when we got back to the lodge and he had to pay the owner for the lost rod and reel.     We tried to snag the line but it was foggy and I could not get a bearing on where we were on the lake.      Carabiners cost about $ 2.50 at Surplus Herbys,   Cost of the rod and reel  $  hundreds and hundreds.   

My buddy at Horse lake made the same mistake in my  Lost and Found thread.   There must be a lot of rods and reels down in our lakes.

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 09:17:24 PM »

Whenever i use split shot i like to keep it as far away from the fly as possible.
Usually a rod length.

jimmywits

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2010, 10:30:57 AM »

Probably a dumb question, but would I hook up a couple split shots about 18" ahead of the leech like you mentioned in another thread or could I just add say a small split shot directly in front of it? If that makes sense... :-\
Purchase a type 4 full sink line, and don't worry about weights. You can even go type 6 if you want to be really deep . As for a fly rod and reel, for trolling you do not need expensive equipment at all.   

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2010, 02:23:19 PM »

buy a $15 full sink line, add 30ft of 6-8lb mono then tie on a leech pattern.

30ft? Short leaders usually work better with sinking lines as there is less of an issue with an arc or curve in the leader. There will be a curve in the sinking line .

In most situations try to troll as slowly as possible. However sometimes fast does wonders. Salmon lake in July is one place that a fast troll with a purple leech often outfishes any other method.
"It is obviously, incontestably true that a senile president with a competent and ethical staff would be preferable to an authoritarian one who wants to fill his administration with guys who sound like school shooter manifestos " ...Adam Serwer writing in The Atlantic July 3, 2024

FishOn36

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2010, 03:24:50 PM »

Thanks guys, I'm heading out to Wholesale sports later today where I'm probably gonna pickup a fly rod with a sinking line to troll leech patters. Gonna see if they sell pumpkin head flies there to try out @ Rolley lake on Saturday along with black & olive woolly buggers :D