Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lots of Kokenee being caught...get your limit.  (Read 5203 times)

arimaBOATER

Lots of Kokenee being caught...get your limit.
« on: June 16, 2010, 05:20:12 PM »

Thought I'd let anyone know that there's "a lake" very very close to Hope BC....& alot of Kokenee are being caught.
 If ya can figure it out where this lake is ....fish it ASSP !!! ;D

MrGrey1

• Welcome to Our Trout Float Site!
Re: Lots of Kokenee being caught...get your limit.
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:18:08 PM »

Of Course! Everybody knows where that lake is… It’s that loud water-skiing crowded Nightmare Lake! I know its name… its just not coming to me right now.. I think it’s east of Allouette Lake, west of the Coquihala Lakes and north of Jones Lake. More like close to the Fraser River right…? Yes, you’re right… close to Hope town! …Where the big tunnels are… Hmmmm, let me think on it some more…. I’ll get it soon…. Was the Koke limit there 4 or 40? Not sure… LOL
MrGrey1

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:22:10 PM »

Of Course! Everybody knows where that lake is… It’s that loud water-skiing crowded Nightmare Lake! I know its name… its just not coming to me right now.. I think it’s east of Allouette Lake, west of the Coquihala Lakes and north of Jones Lake. More like close to the Fraser River right…? Yes, you’re right… close to Hope town! …Where the big tunnels are… Hmmmm, let me think on it some more…. I’ll get it soon…. Was the Koke limit there 4 or 40? Not sure… LOL

No doubt!!! I always stop fishing it when the water skiers come out as its not as big as Alouette and the people that are using it to ski have not been very respectful of people fishing.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

hookme

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 11:45:17 PM »

What are you guys using? bottom or on top? Gear or Fly?

arimaBOATER

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 10:43:27 PM »

BB ya your right about that !!! Once years ago there was two of us on a small car-topper with an 3.5 hp Viking outboard & the lake was Cultus....then this one big "sucker of a boat" was going full throttle & about 30 meters behind us that boat made a sharp turn.

The result was 3 "tidal like waves were coming at our stern... I quickly thought about turning the boat thus to hit the waves with the bow but calculated there may not be enough time & NO WAY did I want to get this wake hitting the side. (we would of flipped FOR SURE.)
Anyways the waves hit the back of our 13 ft car-top boat & the next thing I knew is the 1st wave is carrying the boat along at a high speed. (literally we were like a surf board)  We must of travelled 100 metres or so & finally the wave went under the boat....then the next two waves bumped us about.

Thank the Lord the wave went under finally as the shore was coming up about 40 metres ahead . (Had thoughts of crashing into the shore.)
hookme ...go deep & use el-baito (bait)

BCFisherman97 got your PM & THE ANSWER IS "Yes". Your guess is right.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 10:45:37 PM by arimaBOATER »

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 09:14:23 AM »

What are you guys using? bottom or on top? Gear or Fly?

Fly for me. When the water temps warm the fishery is done for me as the fish typically go deep after that. So if the water temps warm your best bet is to use krill deep. Not my thing but if its yours go have at er.

Arima I like to anchor my boat lots of times so if someone cool guy comes by full speed I am at his mercy as their is not enough time to pull two anchors before the wake hits me. This is why I stop fishing these types of lakes when the skiers come out.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Spooner

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 12:46:36 PM »

Ive used dick nites and flat fish there with success.

S

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 06:06:03 PM »

When the water temps warm the fishery is done for me as the fish typically go deep after that. So if the water temps warm your best bet is to use krill deep. Not my thing but if its yours go have at er.

Not sure what the water temp is at but most fish are being taken deep. A couple months ago they were all over the water coloumn at that lake.

rides bike to work

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 08:38:35 PM »

The fishing is great right now we had a blast on fathers day fighting some frisky kokanee.We had forgot the net so were forced to pull the fish in the boat on the line,not a good idea with soft mouth kokanee than my wife hooked a big one the rod was bending right to the water as the fish made big runs even pulling line on a farely tight drag when she got it to the surface it looked upwards of twenty inches and fat I new we couldnt flip it in the boat so I tried to grab it in the water of coures almost in the boat and it squirmed out of my hands and slipped the hook.Lets just say it turned into blame father day.Im sure Ill get a new net next year though.WE kept four of the larger ones three females and one male .I noticed the male looked like it was starting to get a bit of a hump no colour just alittle hump above the head .Do kokanee get humps when turning to spawn like sockey?

Mat9

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 07:12:49 AM »

Any word on if they are still biting alot?

slovakfisher12

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2010, 12:15:29 AM »

yes the fishing is still good just make sure you are not fishing thru lunch,....evening worked pretty good for me :)

Mat9

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 11:29:26 AM »

I was thinking of heading up early morning.....like starting to fish around 7:30ish? When you say "through lunch", do you mean don't fish earlier?

Thanks