Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Mike Lake  (Read 3858 times)

FishOn36

Mike Lake
« on: July 21, 2010, 10:22:44 PM »

I'm heading out to mike lake this Saturday, just wondering if any of you guys have been out there lately and which flies I should try? Would like to try and target cutthroat as well, and I'm using an intermediate sinking line.

Thanks

FishOn36

Re: Mike Lake
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 10:58:14 AM »

Bump  :-\

jimmywits

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 12:20:54 PM »

Bump  :-\
I would definitely try woolly buggers in different colors and sizes along the bottom as that water will be warm. Be there as early and or as late as you are allowed as I believe there are gate closures. Dragon and damsel nymphs could be a good choice too. Take a look at the Bathymetric map and note the deepest parts of the lake and be sure to fish them as the water will be coolest there. I am not sure if Mike Lake has shrimp in it but I would definitely have some Warner Shrimp patterns with me. Hope this helps

Tight Lines
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 12:22:38 PM by jimmywits »

fish bonk

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 04:47:24 PM »

Go to Hatch matcher fly and tackle on 116th and Louheed hwy and ask Randy for the Mike lake fly. Works Good!

fishiotherapist

• Haneyphysiotherapyclinic
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:11:31 AM »

My go- to flies in Mike Lake are pumpkinhead and gold beaded black micro leech.
These ones never failed me so far. Vary your trolling speed all the time. I do find using an intermediate sinking line works the best. If you have the option to go to Whonnock Lake then I would recommend it than Mike. I was there last week and both wet and dries were working for trout.

Cheers.
Gilbert

FishOn36

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 12:24:05 AM »

My go- to flies in Mike Lake are pumpkinhead and gold beaded black micro leech.
These ones never failed me so far. Vary your trolling speed all the time. I do find using an intermediate sinking line works the best. If you have the option to go to Whonnock Lake then I would recommend it than Mike. I was there last week and both wet and dries were working for trout.

Cheers.
Gilbert

I was planning to pickup some full sinking line tomorrow at a near by fly shop if they have it, this stuff in 5wt: (http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_38441_175003001_175000000_175003000_175-3-1), I'll see what they recommend as far as that goes. Gotta pick up a few pumpkinheads though  ;D I'm itching to go to Whonnock with my float tube!
« Last Edit: July 23, 2010, 12:25:59 AM by FishOn36 »

fishiotherapist

• Haneyphysiotherapyclinic
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 09:18:47 AM »

Looks like a an excellent line to have. Just make sure you check your fly from time to time that it is free of weeds. I do happen to coerced a cutthroat and some crappies when I was there last week. Go on the eastern part of Whonnock by the lily pads. Good Luck.

FishOn36

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 11:01:18 PM »

Okay, I'm set for Mike Lake tomorrow! Got that Scientific Anglers 5wt full sinking line and a few flies... (bead head black mini leech with a bit of red sparkle in it, pumpkinhead, bead head olive green krystal leech, and a 52 Buick in olive green as well. We'll see how it goes!!!

jimmywits

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2010, 08:18:33 AM »

Okay, I'm set for Mike Lake tomorrow! Got that Scientific Anglers 5wt full sinking line and a few flies... (bead head black mini leech with a bit of red sparkle in it, pumpkinhead, bead head olive green krystal leech, and a 52 Buick in olive green as well. We'll see how it goes!!!
Tight Lines, let us know the tally !!