Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Campbell River, July 27th 2010: Pink salmon  (Read 3402 times)

hookme

Campbell River, July 27th 2010: Pink salmon
« on: July 27, 2010, 01:17:19 AM »

I came Across ELk Falls Provincial parks going to Gold River I notice a few cars was park at the Campbell river and people are Catching pinks on the side some guy told me they came in Early this year so I thrown   some spoon good thing you have a lite gear handy   even though your Ocean fishing. Use my yellow crook 3rd cast ..Bang!!..Silver Pink. How i wish i got my fly with me, It was fun I never though I'll be catching Pink on a even year   

Verdi

Re: Campbell River, July 27th 2010: Pink salmon
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 09:58:14 PM »

The campbell gets them every year..
They opened them for retention a month early.
I am going next week, i was hoping they did not open it for retention till mid august so i would not have to compete with the meat hunters but o well, more fish for everybody.
Just means i will have to get up earlier..

rjs

• work is over rated !!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 10:17:20 PM »

The campbell gets them every year..
They opened them for retention a month early.
I am going next week, i was hoping they did not open it for retention till mid august so i would not have to compete with the meat hunters but o well, more fish for everybody.
Just means i will have to get up earlier..

post a report as I may be going the following weekend ! :)

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 10:27:12 PM »

I was there this week The Cambell got like 800,000 pinks this year!They are all bullet crome too great fighters on my 12 foot rod.what a busy place for sure.People where snagging them like crazy in every fin ect and keeping them, it was a disgrace in my opionion.

ejeffrey

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 10:34:04 AM »

Is there any room to cast a fly?

gman

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2010, 10:50:47 AM »

I will be over there next week and was thinking of taking the teenagers to the river one day. I probably wouldn't do that is its a gong show like the vedder in pink season. Hmmm, maybe I'll check it out solo one morning and see what its like.

funfisher

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2010, 10:57:56 PM »

Not too much room to cast a fly. I was watching from the bridge at the main run and witnessed someone get a fly right through his ear. And of course the barb was still on so he ended up going to the hospital to get it removed. Worse than the Vedder in my opinion. If you go down further towards the mouth of the Campbell you will have a better chance on the fly.

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2010, 11:01:05 PM »

ejeffrey there is room to cast a fly .Hey gman take the kids as its great fun because there is so many fish they wont get bored.I just dont like to see the folks there  bringing the pinks in by the tail and keeping them when everyone is looking on.

hookme

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 05:23:38 PM »

ejeffrey , there is more room to fly after the hatchery across  the Elk River Camp ground Just remember this side of the river is none Re-tension Pink and black Skreamer with a little led weight work fine GoooLuck!! ;)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 12:16:17 PM »

Stratocaster and I did the trip yesterday.  Long haul.  River was busy, but the fish are in and they're fresh.

BTW - There's room to cast a fly.   ;)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 12:24:36 PM by FlyFishin Magician »

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 01:02:39 PM »

Man do I look old in that pic!  Must be the lack of sleep since I only had a couple hours of shuteye.  Well worth it even though I had to endure the "Are you nuts?" comment from my wife.

Yes you can fly fish there, though as a beginner fly chucker, I was a bit more comfortable with the gear rod.  After a dozen or so fish on the fly rod, I switched to my gear set up and floated the same flies that we were using for fly fishing.  It almost felt like roe fishing for coho, the take was more of a tap tap tap and your float would just bobble.  The flies out-fished pink wool by a large margin.  All my fish caught this way were hooked in the mouth.  I only fouled a few fish while at the end of my drift as I was preparing to retrieve.

I couldn't believe how strong these fish were.  Must be because they were only few hours from the salt chuck which would also explain why they were so willing to bite.  It was pretty much non-stop action with lulls lasting no longer than a couple of minutes.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 01:40:26 PM »

Yep.  I couldn't believe that these fish (fair hooked) were breaking off 10 lb maxima ultragreen leader!  I'm used to using 6 - 8 lb leader here in the lower mainland.  That was my mistake early on as I started off with 6 lb leader.  Better to lose flies on fish than rocks though.   ;D

Thanks for the great day Stratocaster, and we'll do it again soon...

ejeffrey

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 01:57:23 PM »

Thanks for the great pics and report. What type of fly line were you guys using? And you ended up switching to 10lb leader?!

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 02:06:31 PM »

I used a rio versatip system with a type 6 sinking tip.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 03:14:10 PM »

Yes.  Type 6, 109 grain (8 weight) tip was good.  A guy beside me was using a type 9 tip and was doing quite well.  Be careful though - there's so many fish it's easy to foul hook them - esp. with a heavy tip.  Best to go with as light of a tip as possible and mend your line to get down IMHO.