Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Campbell River, July 27th 2010: Pink salmon  (Read 3400 times)

ejeffrey

Re: Campbell River, July 27th 2010: Pink salmon
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2010, 03:18:27 PM »

Well, I only own 2 fly lines - a floating line and a type 6 full sinking line.  Perhaps I should use the floating line with a longer leader and weighted flies.

one more cast

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2010, 07:19:26 PM »

Yes.  Type 6, 109 grain (8 weight) tip was good.  A guy beside me was using a type 9 tip and was doing quite well.  Be careful though - there's so many fish it's easy to foul hook them - esp. with a heavy tip.  Best to go with as light of a tip as possible and mend your line to get down IMHO.

What's the fly of choice over that way, traditional or just small pink flies?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2010, 08:25:41 PM »

Small pink flies (size 6 to 8...) worked well.  I prefer my flies to be a bit sparse - particularly in clear water.  Variations of streamer patterns with pink wing and silver body is a good option.  One my deadliest patterns has a pink hackle collar.  Dereke and Hook will know the one!   ;)  Pink marabou flies are great since they are very easy and quick to tie - and they work.  I've got a bunch with pink epoxy bodies and they can take a beating.

Rolled muddlers tied with pink krystal flash also worked well.

I saw another guy using a small blue fly and he was having some success with it...

Fisherama

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2010, 09:11:50 PM »

Yes.  Type 6, 109 grain (8 weight) tip was good.  A guy beside me was using a type 9 tip and was doing quite well.  Be careful though - there's so many fish it's easy to foul hook them - esp. with a heavy tip.  Best to go with as light of a tip as possible and mend your line to get down IMHO.

I agree, with a heavy tip you'll be sure to foul hook them, especially when they're in this thick.  I made the trip up last weekend and did well with small, sparsely tied pink flies.  Blue was working well too... ended up losing quite a few blue christmas trees to break offs.

one more cast

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2010, 01:01:19 AM »

Small pink flies (size 6 to 8...) worked well.  I prefer my flies to be a bit sparse - particularly in clear water.  Variations of streamer patterns with pink wing and silver body is a good option.  One my deadliest patterns has a pink hackle collar.  Dereke and Hook will know the one!   ;)  Pink marabou flies are great since they are very easy and quick to tie - and they work.  I've got a bunch with pink epoxy bodies and they can take a beating.

Rolled muddlers tied with pink krystal flash also worked well.

I saw another guy using a small blue fly and he was having some success with it...

Thanks for the detailed share.

I remember a Vancouver local that tied a fly and named it, The Davie Street Hooker...I got one somewhere...pink and silver, very slim and small streamer style.
Just like you're describing:)

Cheers
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 01:05:14 AM by one more cast »

one more cast

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 12:29:10 PM »

Do you guys think this CR pink run is over?
Thinking of going there Monday or Tuesday.

Probably too late for it though :'(