Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-tidal Fraser River, August 10th - 14th 2010  (Read 1103 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Non-tidal Fraser River, August 10th - 14th 2010
« on: August 14, 2010, 05:57:25 PM »

Set up late Tuesday night and spent 3 beautiful nights on Maple Leaf bar. I arrived late so just slept in the bottom of the Leaf Craft for the first night, great looking up at the stars and the heavens.

Dennis was there when I arrived. Fishing was slow as I did not get a bite except the odd sockeye running into the line. Dennis lost a chinook, landed a sockeye on the spinning glow and hooked a one ton boat from the USA. ???

Dennis fought it well but the weight of the boat finally won, all the driver said, "I am sorry", maybe they did not have the boater's card.  :P

Dennis suffered a nasty cut on his leg as he played the boat as he clipped the bar rod holder.

George and son came out for the afternoon and we took a run up the Harrison to see if the sockeye were schooling below the highway bridge so we could fish for a sockeye but none were visible, got a few plucks from campers who had tossed them out on the sand.

Because of the commercial opening the sockeye were a bit spotty for those that were trying to floss them.

I put the bar gear down for a bit on the last day and had some action with Pike Minnows.

All in all a relaxing 3 days watching the wildlife, a deer swimming the river, drift netting at night  :o and some sturgeon being landed.

Today I went out for a drive and wow was the river ever busy and I saw a lot of sockeye being brought to the beach, many many. :-X Also one chinook TOW' ed.

The Thompson River will call next week but may try some ghost shrimp for sockeye one day at a spot that I may be able to get them to bite the small GS.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 05:59:21 PM by chris gadsden »

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Non-tidal Fraser River, August 10th - 14th 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 09:06:45 PM »

Pretty sure we saw you there Chris. Did you see us float down and land a 7' sturgeon across from the bar about the same time there was a Deer there? This was on Thursday. We were in a 17' flatbottom with a 30HP Evinrude 4stroke.

Also wondering if your friend retained the sockeye he landed.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Non-tidal Fraser River, August 10th - 14th 2010
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2010, 12:21:30 AM »

Pretty sure we saw you there Chris. Did you see us float down and land a 7' sturgeon across from the bar about the same time there was a Deer there? This was on Thursday. We were in a 17' flatbottom with a 30HP Evinrude 4stroke.

Also wondering if your friend retained the sockeye he landed.
Yes we did, got the deer on video swimming across the river.
Yes, he retained it as he caught it fairly. ;D ;D