Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Salmon Fishing the Capilano river  (Read 19321 times)

gman

Re: Salmon Fishing the Capilano river
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2010, 06:58:49 PM »

Hello all. I have a friend that has a 35 foot grady white fishing boat and wants to take it out for the salmon running up and down the Capilano river.

He wants to go in september some time, and I was wondering if any of you have some knowledge on the subject. I have literally 0 experience salmon fishing up that river, so any help is much appreciated.

Possibly there is a specific weekend or days that most the salmon gather or head down river or something like that. Any specific times or locations I should check out for sure? He mentioned something about ambleside as well. I'm not even sure where that is. Thought I'd get some general knowledge from all you fisherman then dive into some research from there.

Thank you very much for your help!

Kaerevek, you and your friend wil lbe able to fish the ocean in front of the cap very well with that boat. Basically from the Lions gate heading west as far as the pink apartments. Ambleside is the park that is immedaiatley west of the cap mouth. You will see other boats so there is no secret where to fish.We had our luck trolling flasher/spoons at 90' deep. The fishing is sgood there now, I understand it will be good for a while yet, should be good in September when you plan to go. Good luck.

lovethewater

« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2010, 08:20:09 PM »

There is another reason you can't do the Capilano River, even if you have a small enough boat.   

The lower section of river is the private property of the Capilano reserve.     I did motor up the river last year, and made it to where it is not navigable.    The natives promptly came out and told me I was trespassing.   

They followed me on shore all the way out to make sure I complied. 

I enquired further later.   Apparently with the Lions Gate bridge was being constructed, they moved the river several hundred yards on to the reserve....so apparently it is legal.   The native that followed me out however, told me their claim goes out to the bell buoy that is well into the salt chuck....that I don't buy.

Can anyone describe where the land is native and where it is not?  I thought the line was Keith Road?  Roughly how far up from the mouth does the Native land stretch?

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2010, 08:30:37 PM »

Capilano has a BAIT BAN in effect.  There's roe all over the rocks along the river. >:(

pocketdrifter

« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2010, 09:24:49 PM »

their are spots on the river now. where it is exactly like the fraser people are flossing and and ripping their lines through the school. Its sad to see people call them selves fishermen when donig that....Hint hint its in the lower part of the river. Today was slower than yesterday for sure.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2010, 09:35:17 AM »

their are spots on the river now. where it is exactly like the fraser people are flossing and and ripping their lines through the school. Its sad to see people call them selves fishermen when donig that....Hint hint its in the lower part of the river. Today was slower than yesterday for sure.
Those casual "fishermen" tend to go to the easy access spots. Same as the vedder or any river system...I try and avoid these people like the plague

ericd

« Reply #35 on: September 21, 2010, 11:29:07 AM »

Yesterday was my first day river fishing. Tried the pool near upper levels highway. Didn't catch anything. My rig wasn't setup right, probably too short. Can someone suggest the proper lengths for float -> weight and leader from weight -> hook?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: September 21, 2010, 11:33:35 AM »

Yesterday was my first day river fishing. Tried the pool near upper levels highway. Didn't catch anything. My rig wasn't setup right, probably too short. Can someone suggest the proper lengths for float -> weight and leader from weight -> hook?

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2003/1003_01.html

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2010/0910_01.html

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2004/1104_01.html

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2010, 11:43:44 AM »

For the guy in the 35 footer wanting to fish the 'mouth'.  Easy answer is DON'T, it is VERY shallow close to the mouth.

Just troll along with the other boats out there.  Follow the line of the guide boats to get a feel for the place. 

Depths change quickly, there are thousands of down rigger balls sitting on the sea floor out there, lol.

pocketdrifter

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2010, 09:48:09 PM »

yup cap is low and slow now, water is down to a stream again, gotta hit the vedder soon. THe fish are already spooked up.

carpenter

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2010, 09:14:21 AM »

if you want to find how deep to fish start with your float pretty short and slowly adjust the depth longer and longer untill its gets hung up yank her out and raise it just slightly now you are fishing the bottom. ;)

ericd

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2010, 09:15:44 AM »

thanks carpenter! That's the tip I was looking for.

ericd

« Reply #41 on: October 09, 2010, 12:52:48 PM »

Isn't the bait ban going to be lifted soon?

Does it really make an difference to use roe to fish the cap? Is the bite percentage that much higher than wool?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

ericd

« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2010, 12:58:02 PM »

Okay, bait ban is until October 31 on Cap.

But does roe perform better than wool? Do the fish really care?

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2010, 01:18:09 PM »

Okay, bait ban is until October 31 on Cap.

But does roe perform better than wool? Do the fish really care?
Yes roe performs better IMO, it provides scent etc. Some condition wool can be effective, eg very clear water and used as a small presentation