Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non-tidal Fraser River, August 31st 2010: Two FWR Members Bar Fish For Chinooks  (Read 2871 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Two hardy FWR members braved the elements today and headed to the closest bar, gravel bar that is and here is the video diary.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMZsVMkOJSQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3nknHBfLNk

« Last Edit: August 31, 2010, 06:09:28 PM by chris gadsden »

vancook

• Old Timer

great videos and beautiful fish Chris, commented on both on youtube.
Looks like the weather kept the masses away. Looking forward to fishing some of the nicer bars next season when me and a friend get his boat sorted out. I asked on the video already but is that an old daiwa 275 mooching reel on the rod?

gman

Congartulaions on the two nice fish and sharing the video with the rest of us.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

great videos and beautiful fish Chris, commented on both on youtube.
Looks like the weather kept the masses away. Looking forward to fishing some of the nicer bars next season when me and a friend get his boat sorted out. I asked on the video already but is that an old daiwa 275 mooching reel on the rod?
Yes it is, center pins are great to fish, with so simple to use but it takes a while to learn to cast them with a heavy weight and to play a fish on them as Ali found out. He had never used one with the large handles to bang up the fingers as he did at the start.  ;D ;D

He got on to it fine after a while. Lots of anglers break off fish when they first use them.

Never enough tape on the camera but we did get it, "in the nick of time". ;D ;D

Yes it was very wet and but had the tarp up
 Never have seen so many sockeye jumping,people limiting out in no time flat.

I had hope one would bite the glows but we had our chinook fairly quickly so we were finished for the day.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Congartulaions on the two nice fish and sharing the video with the rest of us.
A great day and I do not think we have ever got our chinook so quickly, good to see as there must be lots in the system as Ali had one other on before he got his and another short bite but it may have been a fish running into the line.

Hard to beat bar fishing on a day like today but a fire would have been nice, maybe the fire ban will come off, it sure has rained enough here in the Valley and still is.

vancook

• Old Timer

Excellent, I own 3 of those reels from my youth fishing with my uncle. Meant to spool them up this year but never made it out. Spin nice even though they've been sitting in a shoe box for 10 years lol

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

Those are clearly flossed!!! ;D ;D ;D

About time, congrat. Now you don't have to be so grumpy. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Those are clearly flossed!!! ;D ;D ;D

About time, congrat. Now you don't have to be so grumpy. ;D ;D ;D
Beako Begone, how's the web page going. ;D ;D ;D

fishnjim

nice job!  good to see a spring for a change!

CALI 2 B.C.

Im jealous!! I need a boat! Nice fish guys. ;D
famous people walk on red carpet because theyre famous...me i walk on toilet paper because im the $h!^

purple monster

are center -pin and old mooching reels generally the same with this type of fishing application????

BigCoho

• Roe Wizard

Addaboy Ali

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season

great videos...your friend was so calm and collect for someone new to that style of fishing...great job!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

are center -pin and old mooching reels generally the same with this type of fishing application????

Yes, once you use them you will never go back to level winds but CP's are not to ne used for flossing. ;D ;D

yoda

nice video chris!! by the way, was bar fishing with alwaysfishing today and we somehow even got a sockeye on a spinand glow :( even when you try to not target them! river is just full of them. did manage to get one spring on but dehooked before the battle got good :(