Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many Chilliwack River hatchery marked coho salmon did you retain in fall 2010?

1 - 5
6 - 10
11 - 15
16 - 20
21 - 25
26 - 30
31+

Author Topic: 2010 Chilliwack River fall salmon fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 121144 times)

vancook

• Old Timer

How was the water looking chris, level drop down a bit? Hoping to go tomorrow morning unless I need to take my car to the mechanic

hamster

Water was crystal clear this morning.  But the river is still  high - so watch your step.  fished the lower river and found fish rolling in one of the new pools dug out for gravel excavation but they weren't biting. Tried copper Colorado blade, peach wool and other variations, single jensen egg.  Most others were using roe and had not hits either. One guy I talked to said the fish are too spread out because the river is too high still.  frustrating  :( - but still can't complain due to beautiful scenery.   Any suggestions?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer

Was darn slow today with the bite only at first light. Lots of fish showing, more when the sun hit the water. Taking a break from fishing, now hunting.

What are you hunting for Chris?

Grouse, deer.....  ?
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties

What are you hunting for Chris?

Grouse, deer.....  ?

Probably a new Leafs hoody  ;D ;D

Dude

I am Planning on going out this Sunday on my Day off. Im planning on leaving at 5am from richmond.
Hows the fishing?? I am a newbie to salmon fishing ...went to campbell river to the pink mania earlier in the summer
and then had wicked time in the fraser with the sockeye....now i have to drive out to chilliwack to catch on the vedder
anyone have any spots with pools?? feel free to shoot me a msg or any advice would be great.  I hear most people use Roe??
just hook a little piece on the hook?? or  what are others using??  thanks!!! ;D

clujalolo

you can try anywhere on the vedder...but i suggest going where the train bridge. look it up on google maps. start from the train bridge and work your way down ??? ive seen many people catch there and some big ones too!

i use a hook with peach wool...you can buy them already made from the the fly and tackle shop. u can use roe also. i always use the hook with the wool :p

this is my first time salmon fishing actually i JUST started fishing when i went to trout in the spring :p...its fun but man the springs are hard to get lol i went 3 times and lost 2 :( im not giving up!

Fishinglover

tried yesterday afternoon for 2 hours, hooked about 5, landed one, almost landed another one, pretty fishable environment now.

devon42

conditions good today,few fish around, tons of people, its not very good to see how many people are bottom bouncing and flossing

Driller

• Keeping it real.

Water is very clear.  We need a good day of rain.  A few fish moving.  Fished 13 hours saturday and 8 hours today.  Went through a pound of roe, tried blades and wool.  Lost one Jack, and foul hooked an adult spring.  Lots of strange techniques to observe.  Saw a guy fishing at Tamahi on Saturday am while it was pitch black.  I was using my headlamp to get to a spot.  Was waiting for enough light to see when I look over and this guy is bonking a spring.  Later I noticed he was using a 6 foot leader and about 12 feet of line between his float and the weight in app. 6 feet of water.  That was a neat technique I never thought of before. 
NIce weekend to fish.  Water was too clear for my liking, but the air was warm, rain held off.  Saw a guy fall in and almost drown behind Slesse.  Freaken crazy!  He was trying to save his buddies dog that got swept down stream.  The bank gave way, and he was in up to is neck.  Grabbed onto a log about 20 meters downstream.  I thought he was in trouble.  If it were me, my waders would not only be full of water, but full of Sh** !  Lucky, he was ok.   I bought a belt that day.  We must be careful on the water.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

What a gong show out there. Iv never seen the river this busy, I thought everyone would have had there freezer full of sockeye by now. But all I witnessed today was people snagging, long lining and bottom boucning. Many dark adult chinook being bonked. How much fish does one need?

13 hours of fishing? die-hard
The Bigger The Better!

dennyman

• Old Timer

Hate to say it, but this is the down side of flossing. People learn how to catch fish that way so that is what they use when they move over from the Fraser to other systems.

Fishinglover

Tired today from 10 - 4, hooked more than 8 fishes, landed 3 wild cohos, 1 chum and 1 spring on tail...  not bad, but no keepers.  

Tie your lines!  

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

We had a good day today ( 3 of us ) and where we fished it was not crowded ( we avoid places like Tamahi, KWB etc ) All 3 of us landed countless springs, caught a couple chums and a few coho. Good day IMO and the water was perfect.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

buncranabop

• Silver Bullet

We had a good day today ( 3 of us ) and where we fished it was not crowded ( we avoid places like Tamahi, KWB etc ) All 3 of us landed countless springs, caught a couple chums and a few coho. Good day IMO and the water was perfect.
Hey bbronswyk2000 Im glad to hear of your success but I think you said yeaterday that you would be fishing fly so my question is where all these catches on the fly???
The two best times for fishing are (A) when its raining and (B) when its not.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....

Hey bbronswyk2000 Im glad to hear of your success but I think you said yeaterday that you would be fishing fly so my question is where all these catches on the fly???

Some on the fly some on gear. Most of the time when we go to the Vedder we bring both setups.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family