Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Waders  (Read 6616 times)

Jace

Waders
« on: September 14, 2010, 07:50:54 PM »

So im going to buy a new pair of breathables online and have narrowed it down to a few pairs.
Orvis pro guide 3- $280
Orvis sonicseam- $270
Simms freestone - $205
Redington CPX- $180

Just wondering if anyone has owned any of these waders before and how they were.
The redington cpx really appeal to me because of the look and price, but have heard they have a weak seam.

Any reviews would help alot, Thanks

mr.p

Re: Waders
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 07:59:28 PM »

I've come to the conclusion that no wader except the Simms G4 will withstand heavy use.  By heavy I mean 4-5 outings a week.  Look for waders that offer a seamless inner leg/knee area.  This is a huge benefit.  All the waders I have owned have started leaking in this area.

I would definitely NOT buy the Simms Freestones.  Just bought a pair 10 days ago, after 7 days of use (nothing extreme), the inner seam along the knee and thigh is showing significant wear and will be leaking within a couple of outings.  Luckily Simms service and warranty is great and I will be returning these no hassles.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

Jace

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 08:08:48 PM »

Thanks for the input, and i will not be getting the sonicseam as they are travel waders and i did not realise that.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 08:19:19 PM »

Had my Simms G4 since the day they came out and have well over 100 days in them.  Still no leaks and have always fit great.  Simms also offers more sizes than any other company.   

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 09:35:37 PM »

simms are severely over rated...ive been through freestones, rivershed and g3's and all have been inadequate...i would go as far as saying blackwaters have been better for me. my next pair of waders will be dan bailey...the only simms product i will buy is their boots.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 09:37:27 PM »

So im going to buy a new pair of breathables online and have narrowed it down to a few pairs.
Orvis pro guide 3- $280
Orvis sonicseam- $270
Simms freestone - $205
Redington CPX- $180

Just wondering if anyone has owned any of these waders before and how they were.
The redington cpx really appeal to me because of the look and price, but have heard they have a weak seam.

Any reviews would help alot, Thanks

The most important thing about how long a wader will last you is the fit. This is something you will have to try before you buy. I would not trust my hard earned dollars to a sizing chart on a website.
Actions speak louder than words.

hawg hunter

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 09:41:24 PM »

I have had the Orvis Guide waders and had only one issue(after many years of use. Eight to be exact) and Orvis is great to deal with. Even if they fix them and you are not satisfied they will replace no questions asked. While I was waiting for them to be replaced I bought a pair of the Guide G3's and have been very happy with them. I would have bought the G4's if I had time to get them. That is, ordering on line is significantly cheaper in the U.S. Could have got the G4's for the price of G3's if I could have ordered and had the time. Not knocking the local guys here as I do try to buy local where I can. Having said this, when the price difference is over $200, this represents a lot of fishing gear to buy locally.
Our tradition is that of the first man who sneaked away to the creek when the tribe did not really need fish.  ~Roderick Haig-Brown

mr.p

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 02:22:36 AM »

I've looked at probably 20 different waders in the last couple days while searching for a replacement for my Freestones.  Nothing compares to the G4's.  The lowers are 5 layer and very thick.  Plus the extra layering extends up to the waist and in the seat.  And as I mentioned before, the seam on the front and back instead of the inner legs is a great selling point too.

If you can wait for another month or so, BARE has a new lineup of breathables coming out.  I believe there are 3 all new breathables.  Check out their website.  A couple of them look pretty good AND have the seamless inner legs that I keep talking about.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

Jace

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 07:40:06 AM »

Thanks for all the help, but i ordered a pair of the redington cpx because of price.
I am waiting to buy a expensive pair until the show at the tradex to get a better price than online.

maverick

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 08:25:49 AM »

I agree with Kingpin I haven't found a boot that beats Simms but I have never been able to get much mileage out of the Simms waders plus I always found they develop a smell in them if you use them alot in the summer that you can't get rid of no matter what you try. I have been using a set of Bare waders for the last three years which has to be a record for me. Aside from one small tear from a barbed wire fence laying in three feet they haven't leaked since it was aquasealed they have been great.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 08:41:11 AM »

for the price that G4's cost you can buy 2 sets of dan baileys...and they will each be as good or better
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 09:37:39 AM »

I gave up on Simms and Bare after having a couple waders from each that didnt even last 6months. I actually bought a set up the top of the line breathables of Cabelas brand and they went 2 full seasons before a leak. Im now on my second pair of them (slightly different model cause they changed them) and still no leaks yet and they are very rugged, thick and tough. I also like the waterproof chest pocket they have like some of their more expensive counterparts
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

gordc

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 10:10:49 AM »

I have used the last two versions of the Bare Blackwaters.  The old ones (dark green) were pretty decent in terms of durability but did eventually leak at the seams.  Finally got the new version and they leaked 2nd day so I got a replacement and they leaked within a week and upon returning them I was talked into the Simms G4.  We hike a lot and propbably wear our waders 100 days per year.  Not only were the G4s the most comfortable wader I've ever worn but man are these things tough.  Hiking from the hatchery to the mouth of the Chehalis repeatedly is brutal and they have stood up super well.  I'm not fond of the price but the integrity of their products has encouraged me to get a lot more Simms gear.  I would recommend Simms above the others.

Jace

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 07:00:59 PM »

So wich simms wading boots would you recommend?
or any wading boots you've liked

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 07:54:44 PM »

I have a pair of the Simms Guides (leather ones) and they rule over any other boot I ever had
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/