Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tidal Fraser River, September 19th 2010  (Read 1199 times)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Tidal Fraser River, September 19th 2010
« on: September 20, 2010, 12:58:29 AM »

Hit a bar in Richmond today at low tide and wasn't expecting much when i saw how dirty the Fraser had become compared a few days ago.

First cast I caught a decent pikeminnow and the rest of the hour or so I was there...nothing.

These larger Fraser pikeminnow do put a scrappy fight!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Tidal Fraser River, September 19th 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 02:12:52 AM »

Very nice. I was out for awhile in the evening monsoon with the fly rod again. First I had the 3wt, hoping to trick some peamouth chub but came up with nothing except a quick tug. Once I was bored with that, I switched to the 6/7wt so I could chuck some big flies. At first I missed a fish, then I saw a fin circling around with baitfish hopping out around it. I switched to a smaller minnow pattern that I used to catch this coho over a year ago and immediately felt a tug on the first cast, but was asleep at the wheel. I casted it out to the same spot right away and it came back for it just as expected. This time I managed to set the hook but it was done poorly. The fish, looked like either a cutthroat trout or coho jack, exploded into a tail dance on the surface before the fly was spat back to me. I was not too surprised that happened. This was the fifth salmonid that has done this to me since last month. Tied up more flies tonight with sharper hooks, maybe tomorrow. :)

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
Re: Tidal Fraser River, September 19th 2010
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 10:25:19 AM »

Yup there are definitely fish around.  Good point on the hooks.   The pikeminnow tend to engulf the lure but the salmon/trout are usually, but not always,  more subtle with the take.