Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: favorite tackle shop?  (Read 34923 times)

Tee

Re: favorite tackle shop?
« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2010, 07:56:21 PM »

A&N for all terminal tackles, i.e. hooks, lines and such generally.
Berry's for rods, reels etc, and Baits. I used to get a lot of spinner kits from the store
M&Y on Broadway for all my fly fishing needs, and the staff there are very helpful and friendly. It is very close to home.
Fred's for rods and reels and some others when I'm on the flow.
High water is a very nice place to visit. Dave is a knowledgeable guy in fishing related issues, but it is far from where I live. Last time I went there for a quick line change on my reel. I ended up staying there over an hour having a good chat with him.

All in all, I have visited most of the local tackle stores at least once (except those in Coquitlam and Maple Ridge areas) if they happen to be on the way to where I am heading out.

I only fish on days that end with "y".

patagonia

« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2010, 08:04:30 PM »

Dave at Highwater... great guy, tons of advice... actually involved in and fights for the industry/conservation for all of us...  so what if you pay 50 cents more for the odd spinner, way rather talk to a guy that has current info and will take the time to draw you a map with a paper and pencil to a flow that you are heading to and have no idea where to start. Those that go for the cheap deal and forget about the quality and importance of the local shops are VERY short sighted.

Pacific Angler is also a very solid shop/staff on and off the river.

DanTfisherman

« Reply #47 on: September 27, 2010, 08:22:52 PM »

I like them all.

They are all different, unique, and give you different ideas and new perspectives.

Due to my geographic location, I spend a lot of time at Hatchmatchr' in Maple Ridge.

Due to old ties which go back years, I always love to drop by Fred's and see how it looks when I am out that way.

Dano

fishnjim

« Reply #48 on: September 27, 2010, 10:11:56 PM »

nicola valley outdoors.  fred and jon help out well.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2010, 01:54:04 AM »

M&Y for all my fly gear

for gear stuff i just go to whats closest because im not picky when i just need some lead or hooks  ;) LOL

Army & Navy and Freds are probably the ones im in most because one in close to home and the other is right next to the river
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2010, 06:26:34 AM »

Little Fort Fly
Riverman

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2010, 09:10:31 AM »

Chilliwack Dart and Tackle.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

maverick

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2010, 12:44:36 PM »

The Big Horn Gas Station on the Thompson used to be the best. You gave him a list of what you wanted or needed and he would get it in asap no matter what it was for the next trip. To bad what happened to that valley they were some good people.

bederko

• Fish ethically, always....
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2010, 06:42:15 PM »

Dart & Tackle, they always have bouncing betty's and yellow braid!! And Nick's pretty good too... ;)
A river is never quite silent; it can never, of its very nature, be quite still; it is never quite the same from one day to the next. It has its own life and its own beauty, and the creatures it nourishes are alive and beautiful also. Perhaps fishing is only an excuse to be near rivers. - Haig-Brown

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2010, 08:13:52 PM »

Another favorite is Exerter Sports in 100 mile house,nice selection of flies and local knowledge of where and what is happening on the lakes in that area!

pocketdrifter

« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2010, 08:22:21 PM »

I mentioned highwater is expensive and yea it is but they also have the same gear at army navy some of the stuff, they all have variety and different selection, i still shop at highwater because I like dave and his selection when other stores are sold out. But another thing is that better gear doesnt make a better fishermen. Ive outfished guys with islanders, while i was using my old kids trout rod. I find most guys with the best gear arent the best fishermen, rather than just show offs. I notice the good fishermen as they have the old beat up reels as they ahve been hammering the river their whole life.

camtheman

« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2010, 08:38:25 PM »

I ll second galillee in langley

pocketdrifter

« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2010, 09:40:31 PM »

haha yea i like to find deals, and yea I dont need the best gear around cause I know I can catch fish without using islanders and overpriced gear. I got myg ood ole abu from army and navy.

pocketdrifter

« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2010, 09:45:53 PM »

and besides I fish to relax and enjoy myself not to be some cocky guy with expensive gear. I know my spots and rivers where I fish and as long as im happy I could careless what someone thinks of me and my gear.

Meat Head Mike

« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2010, 10:10:53 PM »

Riverside - Poco
Gary has always been helpful.

my favorite is searun
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 10:13:16 PM by Meat Head Mike »