Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, September 29th 2010  (Read 3534 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, September 29th 2010
« on: September 29, 2010, 02:36:16 PM »

I did not get as earlier a start as I hoped because of working on a fishing report and video's for you as well as e nails related to the Oct. 16 Fraser River cleanup and Alexandra Morton's the Paddle down the Fraser for October 20.

I knew the conditions would be prime after seeing how it was shaping up at dark last evening.

I finally get to the river and start at the Chum Run. It looks good and I miss what I think are good fish but they could have been smolts that were once again taking the bait off. I have never seen so many at this time of year. Maybe it bodes well for future returns to the river.

A chap I know comes along and we have a good chat as we fish talking about how good the coho salmon fishery once was, before they decreased hatchery production and they introduced Harrison Whites, are they taking over the system?

I finally decide to work down to another run that was good a few days ago. On the way I pick up my third DNE float of the season. I stop to look at another run and discover I do not have my wallet, ouch. Did I leave it at home or what? Did it fall out of my pullover when I picked up the float, darn could have washed down river then. I have a bad habit of putting it in these pullovers when I know I should not. I am without my Maple Leaf one that Rodney has a caught a cold from after finding it where I dropped it a few days ago. It has a deep front pocket, hard for anything to fall out of it. Boy I am losing as much stuff as I find these days. ::) ???

Well if its at home I better get off the river, no license no fishing. As I trace my way back I hear a whistle from my friend. Right away I know he has found it, a sigh of relief. When I reach him he says it fell into the water, where I was sitting on the Chum Run log. It is soaking wet as is everything in it, but hey glad to get it back, The hot sun today will dry it out. I thanks him several times before heading to the run below. I have wasted 15 minutes or more. The sun is shinning bright so maybe there will be no bite once again today.
As I near the run I am headed too I see the lone person there with a nice bend in the pole, I quicken my step. As I reach the run I see he has a good sized chinook salmon on, he lands it, bonk.

I quickly put on a new bait, fish are rising everywhere. Opps better dry out the contents of the wallet first, the license is soaking wet as is everything else.
On the first cast the Maple Leaf DNE is down, I strike, solid and I am battling around a 15 pound chinook salmon. It fights strong. When I get it near the beach I realize I can not retain it as my license is too wet to write it down.

That is OK as there is so many fish going by there should be more to come. As I want to get back to the river I am going to cut the report short but I lose track of how many salmon I miss, loose, break off or land, I have not seen this many fish in awhile although I could not prove there was any coho salmon around them, none landed anyway. I do retain one good sized chinook jack that is a pure red fleshed fish.

It was getting hot out, as hot as the fishing, good it has dried my license and most of the other contents so I decide to go home for breakfast as I was getting hungry as the fish were today.  Before I left this morning I was in such a rush I did not have breakfast.
I certainly enjoyed the outing with finally some good action, well worth waiting for, after many dry days in the books.

Guess where I am going now as I have 2 hours to fish before I have to attend the Cohen Inquiry.

Well there is always tomorrow too. ;D

CohoMan

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, September 29th 2010
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 05:45:35 PM »

Decided to head out despite the water level chart showing that the river was still a bit too high.

I started around the canal area and fished for about an hour. Water was a bit dirty but fishable. It was a bit too high for my liking so I decided to head up a bit further.

As soon as I got there, I saw fish jumping constantly. Fishermen were hooking into Chinook after Chinook and I can see them coming up at the tailend of that run.

I hooked into several hogs and lost them all. I did get a nice coho. It was well worth the trip.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 05:49:27 PM »

What was everyone hooking them on? Assuming there all fair hooked, no long lining?
The Bigger The Better!

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 06:53:07 PM »

Not sure what they were using but I got mine on roe bags.

devon42

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 06:56:01 PM »

nice fish good to see some nice size coho being caught now

KevinR

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 09:26:24 PM »

Just a reminder for people there seems to be good numbers of "hatchery clipped" sockeye moving thru the river...i landed 3 today ! Kind of disappointing when at a glance you think you've got a coho...thats o.k. had a spectacular day landed 4 springs, 2 nice wild coho, a few chum and lost more big springs than i could count ...awsome day and awsome weather.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2010, 09:36:29 AM »

I stumbled across a chinnook in the 20lb plus range"cement slab area",obviously caught the day before, gutted for the roe and left behind [ what a waste }. Beer cans and other crap lying around where the fish was. Gathered the garbage up and moved on. Caught one nice wild coho, said thanks and back he went, broke off one chinnook, and landed a good sized chum { really colored } and back he went too. Nice weather, caught some fish, good day overall except for the fish find.

Bently

bluenoser

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 10:18:00 AM »

Geez...sounds like one of those memorable days when fish are on the move...and I missed it....I had a day like that last year.

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

• Hmmm yes, quite. Where are the fish again?
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 10:36:32 AM »

Heres a photo of a nice hatch coho from the canal  :D Nice to see a good number of coho and springs jumping around. Also seen couple chums being hooked.
Nothing to see here, Hmm yes.......
Quite........
Carry on......

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 10:54:44 AM »

Very nice fish Squirrel.  On the fly?

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 12:18:50 PM »

Very nice fish Squirrel.  On the fly?
Thanks, I WISH!!!! haha will keep trying though  :D
Quite........
Carry on......

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2010, 01:22:24 PM »

Heres a photo of a nice hatch coho from the canal  :D Nice to see a good number of coho and springs jumping around. Also seen couple chums being hooked.

Very nice, I wish I could get one like that too. ;D ;D

Hunting time now so maybe there will be some for me later.

ahans

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2010, 02:12:11 PM »

Ventured out yesterday after Chris's assurance river should be fishable. This time of the year I really like to fish the lower end and would like to thank Mr. Gadson again for the reassurance. Left Vancouver at 5.30am and was fishing the lower end by 6.45am. Water was not clear but fishable.....and it was. In the first hour, I landed all the 4 species (coho, sockeye, chum & chinook). Thank god it was not a pink year ;). Fished until 11.30am and then decided to have a lunch break. Took my 3 fish to the cooler in the car and put it on ice. The 3 fish were hatch coho (about 8 lbs), nice fat jack spring (bright red) and a chrome chum doe. Lost 4 adult chinooks (was using 15 lb main and 8 lb leader). After an hours break I decided to go back to the same area to fish. Broke off 2 more adult nookies and then decided to call it quits at 3.00pm. Drive home was nice with no jams on hwy #1. Cleaned my fish, car and gear and was ready for some daddy-time by 5.00pm to play in the park. And what a beautiful day it was. Next trip will be geared with maybe a 15 lb leader  ;D. I really want to land one of those brutes  8). Good luck everyone. On a side note could not believe the amount of chrome sockeye in the river. Landed 4 and lost a few in the morning.

Fishin_Squirrel10-4

« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2010, 08:38:51 PM »

Chris! I got a feeling the coho run will be excellent. You'll hit one soon cause u fish more than I do. :D the leaves will turn blue soon. Haha I just got lucky that day  :P
Quite........
Carry on......

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2010, 12:45:21 AM »

that's a gorgeous buck...i'm 0 for 3 so far...lots of jack springs landed and released...3 large springs all broken off.