Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing At/Near UBC?  (Read 12151 times)

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
Fishing At/Near UBC?
« on: October 01, 2010, 09:51:30 PM »

Hey y'all.

I am currently attending UBC, and was wondering if there is anywhere that's worth wetting a line around there? I really don't care what type of fish, I just want to kill some time during my breaks. And before anyone mentions it, I have already looked into squirrel fishing.  ;) http://www.scq.ubc.ca/squirrel-fishing-instructions/

Tight lines.

anorden

Re: Fishing At/Near UBC?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 02:17:04 PM »

No freshwater fishing in that part of town. There may be some beach fishing if you do your homework. The nearest places are the capilano and seymour rivers in north van - can get there on public transport but a big of a pain.

You are pretty much screwed unless you have a car or a buddy who has one.

leaping steely

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 08:09:34 PM »

No freshwater fishing in that part of town. There may be some beach fishing if you do your homework. The nearest places are the capilano and seymour rivers in north van - can get there on public transport but a big of a pain.

You are pretty much screwed unless you have a car or a buddy who has one.

I have a tidal licence, so that's not a problem. I was hoping there would be a place for some beach fishing. Don't care for what, just want to kill time and maybe tangle with a few fish.

azafai

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 08:26:46 PM »

Hi
in that case check this: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=24477.0
you can do the same around UBC shores.

leaping steely

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 08:31:03 PM »

Hi
in that case check this: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=24477.0
you can do the same around UBC shores.

I was not aware that Pikeminnows/Peamouth Chubs ventured that far out into tidal water. Awesome.

azafai

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2010, 08:34:53 PM »

honestly I don't know much
maybe Rodney shed some lights here.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2010, 10:01:00 PM »

Why not take a rod down to Wreck Beach or Jericho Beach? I'm sure there are fish swimming around out there.

BTW what are you taking at UBC. I'm on my last term (fingers crossed) in Engineering.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2010, 10:24:42 PM »

I've always wondered if the beaches along the Southwest Marine Drive (more specifically, along the Old Marine Drive by the Botanical Garden, and the lookout point just northwest of Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club) are productive. That stretch is part of the North Arm of Fraser River and I'd think the fishing wouldn't be much different to what you've experienced at Garry Point Park. This time of the year coarse fish will start disappearing but fishing for cutthroat trout and bull trout picks up.

You go down there to check it out first. If you don't find too many naked people running around and doing weird stuff on the beach, maybe I'll come join you. ;)

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 11:49:45 PM »

You go down there to check it out first. If you don't find too many naked people running around and doing weird stuff on the beach, maybe I'll come join you. ;)

Hey Rodney,you got good sense of humour ;D :D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2010, 12:54:26 AM »

Although it's late in the season you might try the local beaches for smelts.

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2010, 08:56:19 AM »

u can catch flounders from shore, just need a hook, line, weight, and worm. and i u can cast out more then thirty feet u'll get a few  ;)

and if u are lucky u might get a few pile perch

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 09:30:36 AM »

If you can access the North arm of the Fraser you can get into fish.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 05:36:29 PM »

You could try fishing off the rock jetty at wreck beach.  Goes out really far near the mouth.

leaping steely

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 07:25:49 PM »

Thanks everyone for the help. I'll probably give it a try in the next two weeks or so.

BTW what are you taking at UBC. I'm on my last term (fingers crossed) in Engineering.

Just Arts for now, though half my course load is science courses.

You could try fishing off the rock jetty at wreck beach.  Goes out really far near the mouth.

Actually, that's exactly where I was thinking of trying. Is it submerged during high tide, or is it always above water?

I've always wondered if the beaches along the Southwest Marine Drive (more specifically, along the Old Marine Drive by the Botanical Garden, and the lookout point just northwest of Shaughnessy Golf and Country Club) are productive. That stretch is part of the North Arm of Fraser River and I'd think the fishing wouldn't be much different to what you've experienced at Garry Point Park. This time of the year coarse fish will start disappearing but fishing for cutthroat trout and bull trout picks up.

Aren't you up for a bit of exploring, Rodney? All you need is the appropriate gear. ;)

Thanks everyone.

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 07:40:45 PM »

Actually, that's exactly where I was thinking of trying. Is it submerged during high tide, or is it always above water?

always above water