Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 4th 2010  (Read 3819 times)

Sinaran

Chilliwack River, October 4th 2010
« on: October 04, 2010, 12:50:16 PM »

Started fishing my designited spot ;) at lower river at 7am with roe, caught a ocean chrome spring jack and a coho jack within an hour.  After finishing all the roe, I switched to blades and jigs but fish didn't like' em.  Lots of jack around, some big springs were jumping too but weren't interested in my offerings.  Heading to the Stave now, will report it later!
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Chilliwack River, October 4th 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 01:17:57 PM »

This morning I got up at 4:30am and was exhausted after only having four hours of sleep, but I still woke my dad up so we could catch the first light bite anyway. We arrived just after it was bright enough to wade across a side channel, but someone was already fishing at my chosen spot. :P It was fishing squirrel I think. I wasn't too chatty as I was trying to find a place for my dad to wet the line. Even though he graciously offered to share his spot, I proceeded upstream because my dad needed quite a bit of space since his margin of error in casting is too big. We headed to a run further up from them, which was surprisingly nicer than when I was there last. An adult spring jumped and greeted us while I was unpacking the rods. The first twenty minutes yielded no bites, but then there were a couple of hits and misses. My float dove in the tailout at one point and I was able to beach a nice chinook jack. While I was cleaning the fish, my dad was able to connect with a small coho jack. It was a hatchery marked fish, but it slipped out of my hand while we were deciding whether we should keep it or not. After that, the bites stopped even though the odd fish were still leaping up from the tailout. Overall it was pretty slow for us, considering everyone commented that fish were jumping everywhere last week. Now we rest for another early morning trip on Wednesday. :)

devon42

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 03:49:38 PM »

also went out this morning but not with good success. started in the canal then worked my way up to the crossing. first off.. so many people for a Monday, doesn't anybody work these days  looked like a weekend. didn't see to many fish in the canal rising but apparently people were catching them.. not me. spent most of my time by the crossing and saw alot of risers but still couldn't catch anything threw my hole vest out but nothing.. roe,wool,blades,jigs  nothing worked. seems like nobody short floats the vedder anymore mostly flossers and bottom bouncers... one guy was bottom bouncing and snaged 3 fish while i was there 1 beauty hatch coho he snaged in the back and one fresh chinnok again on the back and one he kept that he hooked in the gill plat.. so finally an older guy yells at him that hes a snagger and the guy bottom bouncing wasn't to happy with that comment and he was pretty disrespectful to the old man. anyway i saw plenty of fish in the river but seems like my float has a big "DONT BITE" sign on it so i couldn't hook anything, Will be trying again tomorrow hopefully finally hooking my first coho of the year

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 04:34:06 PM »

When did you get a center pin Rodney? Surprising, there were lots of Chinook around yesterday.
The Bigger The Better!

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 05:43:35 PM »

Fished the upper river this morning. There were a lot of risers but they were all jaw locked! I connected to 3 fish but only managed to land a dark male spring which was released.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:23:14 PM by RainbowMan »

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 06:07:43 PM »

I know that rock rod  :P
[

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 06:16:12 PM »

When did you get a center pin Rodney? Surprising, there were lots of Chinook around yesterday.

I've always had centerpins, I just don't use them very often.

I know that rock rod  :P

Good, please feel free to stand on it if you like fishless runs.

Hooks_of_Fury

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 07:29:18 PM »

also went out this morning but not with good success. started in the canal then worked my way up to the crossing. first off.. so many people for a Monday, doesn't anybody work these days  looked like a weekend. didn't see to many fish in the canal rising but apparently people were catching them.. not me. spent most of my time by the crossing and saw alot of risers but still couldn't catch anything threw my hole vest out but nothing.. roe,wool,blades,jigs  nothing worked. seems like nobody short floats the vedder anymore mostly flossers and bottom bouncers... one guy was bottom bouncing and snaged 3 fish while i was there 1 beauty hatch coho he snaged in the back and one fresh chinnok again on the back and one he kept that he hooked in the gill plat.. so finally an older guy yells at him that hes a snagger and the guy bottom bouncing wasn't to happy with that comment and he was pretty disrespectful to the old man. anyway i saw plenty of fish in the river but seems like my float has a big "DONT BITE" sign on it so i couldn't hook anything, Will be trying again tomorrow hopefully finally hooking my first coho of the year

Ya another thing ive noticed is a lot of younger guys flossing using center pins and 3 ft leaders . using a center pin doesn't show how good a fisherman you are, its not fashion statement kids. it doesnt make you a great fisherman especially when you drag your float sideways right down the migration path and set the hooks at everything. your still flossing just takes more casts.

CohoMan

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 08:44:49 PM »

With only today to fish this week before heading to Whistler for a week of technology conference, I decided to give it one more try.

Arrived at my location around 12:30pm. On my side of the river, there were only 3 people. The other side of the river was loaded with about 15 guys.

Right away, I saw action on the other side- mostly springs.

Within 20 minutes, I hooked into this beauty. Fought like crazy but I was able to beach it.

Fished until 3:00pm and decided to try the canal. Got into a couple of coho jacks when fishing the canal and saw 1 more coho taken there.

gman

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 09:16:07 PM »

Rod, you are a good son going fishing with your Dad.  :)

I was out today for my first Vedder visit. Showed up at first light at a canal spot I'd fished last year but it had changed a lot, and the water weas higher than I expected, so it did not look great. Went for a walk  started fishing and on the third cast, a nice hatchery coho.   ;D  Looks like my lucky day. But other than some missed float dives that was it for that spot.
Moved to mid river and hooked a couple of springs, but cojuld not land them.
Finally moved higher still and found a spot with a bit more action. Kept a spring jack, released some big springs, and lost a nice coho at my feet.
At one point I found a large school of coho in a backwater but could not entice them to bite. Roe, blades, jigs, nothing worked. Coho are intersesting, at times so aggressive, other times lockjaw. Frustrating!

Still, a good first day on the river.  :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 09:52:29 PM by gman »

FishOn36

« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 10:03:29 PM »

Nice fish CohoMan!  8)

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 10:43:48 PM »

Nice work cohoman.  I hit it today with Stratocaster and we did OK.  Hooked lots of springs and each landed a decent spring - all released.  We also hooked some coho - Stratocaster landed one wild fish.  I had 4 solid hook-ups with coho and all went arial and spat the hook, or broke off!  My mistake, as I had just landed a spring and was too lazy to change my leader when I lost a beauty coho.   ::)  So far I'm 0 for 7 on coho played and landed  :( :( :( :( :( :( :(  Ok - I did land a nice hatchery jack - but that doesn't really count does it? ;)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 11:10:21 PM »

Did anyone not hit the Vedder today??? :o ;D

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 11:29:36 PM »

Hmm - nope.  Btw - nice jack spring Rod.  I just filleted one this evening and it turned out to be a nice marble.  Should be good on the BBQ.  ;)

hookme

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 11:48:49 PM »

Got an early off  ;D at work on the road at 3:00 PM slow moving traffic at no.3 exit involving a truck under the no.3 bridge exit :'( first stop no.3 hole can not park construction going on. move to K.W road pass the bridge gong show as usual hit the hopedale to many people 4:30 pm  arrived at lickman only 2 people and 3 on the other side bottom bouncing. try fishing at the logs at the right side of the parking had a chat with one guys exchanging recipe for sock eye. The hole got a lot of Fish rolling Chum ,Coho and jack spring but not interested on my one year old roe :D try blade from silver,brass to pink and yellow ..not interested   yarn from every-color you can imagine still nothing almost getting dark 6:40 arrived the last stop Peach road one guy was approaching me on the parking lot and was saying the "THE BITE IS ON!" and ask me if he can buy some float cause a spring just broke off his last float, I gave him one trying to pay me 2 bucks for it, I just told he can have it for free. little didn't he know i just found that float 20 minutes ago at lickman ::). Kinda hesitant fishing this hole cause I only got 10 to 15 minutes of light to
fish  so a quick setup with pink yarn first cast strike! Second cast Fish ON! a silver coho just jump in front of me ..adjust drag ..try to work on the rock to go down  with my fish. almost dark before i got to the end of a small beach then...snap!..there goes my 8lbs leader. I just don't get it why do coho have to bite before dark ??? so I drove home with adrenalin still pumping.. all in all it was a good day out in the water.   Nice Jack Rod!