Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River October 5th, 2010  (Read 1669 times)

vancook

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River October 5th, 2010
« on: October 05, 2010, 05:35:04 PM »

Beautiful day out but what a nightmare I had on the river today. My chosen start point today was a few kms above the crossing, had all my gear set and ready to go last night so all I need to do was put on some roe. Had to bring out my baitcaster today, super silex still seems to be grinding for some reason after taking it apart and cleaning it. I still have brain on my reel so I spliced in about 30 feet of 15lb mono last night....well all I can say I have never birdnested so many times in my life. Sometimes the cast would be very nice, then the line would catch at the splice (albright knot) and cause me a heap of trouble. Spent alot of time swearing and picking out knots. I hate going to the flow and spending more time fixing my gear than fishing. Either way I am removing that braid and going to respool with mono when I have some free time...I dont want to destroy that vintage reel of mine, time to save up for a new pin.

Water was crystal clear, no surface activity at first light. around 7:30 there will some big fish jumping completely out of the water or slapping hard on their sides. Saw a few chum jumping close to the bank in maybe 3 feet of water, coloured up in their zebra costumes. First run I missed two strikes, slow mo this morning. Hooked into a chum buck and lost him a few feet from the bank....he was looking pretty zombie like. That is all the fish action I got for the day...this all happened before 9am. Fished roe, blades and a couple jigs.
Lots of fish jumping all day, but they were not taking anything and just kept swimming. the few fish I witnessed being caught were along a run that was suprisingly filled with about 15 anglers (obviously its a meat hole I'm not familiar with, came across it in july, I've no idea where they come in from...the route I take is a 30-40 minute walk, won't be going back there), I only saw one person who was not long lining...everyone else had their floats drifting by laying on their side. Even saw a few people with betties under their float.  I unfortunately saw a couple people snagging coho along a run behind the on the way store...on the south side of the river. Young guys, saw them take 2 out, and I do mean snagging not bottom bouncing, cast a hook yank reel yank reel...called out to them, told me to F off. Made a call but you know how it goes. All in all a bad day on the river, didnt fish half the spots I was hoping to today. Thought about going tomorrow but no time to respool my reel..perhaps friday.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 05:47:39 PM by vancook »

Sinaran

Re: Chilliwack River October 5th, 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:24:02 PM »

a Jack that took my last piece of roe at the lower river yesterday.
Fish on!!! woohoo..!!

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 07:28:36 PM »

Nice clean looking fish. Good job

DavidD

• Fourth Year Apprentice Fisherman
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 07:24:03 AM »

Looks like I'll have to take a day off work tomorrow and get in a few casts before the weather sets in and raises the water levels.    :D
Save the Whales - Collect the Whole Set!!!

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 08:31:10 AM »

the few fish I witnessed being caught were along a run that was suprisingly filled with about 15 anglers (obviously its a meat hole I'm not familiar with, came across it in july, I've no idea where they come in from...
the route I take is a 30-40 minute walk, won't be going back there), I only saw one person who was not long lining...everyone else had their floats drifting by laying on their side. Even saw a few people with betties under their float.  
Was this run about 2 km or so up from on the run?  A big boiling rock and then a straight stretch?  The funny thing, I watched a bunch of guys with their floats about 6-8ft from their weight but with only 1.5 ft of leader and a bit of wool...  Having GREAT success.  Not flossing, not snagging, but the trick seemed to be to get 'er down enough to the fish.  One guy was hammering springs.  INSIDE THE MOUTH.
I unfortunately saw a couple people snagging coho along a run behind the on the way store...on the south side of the river. Young guys, saw them take 2 out, and I do mean snagging not bottom bouncing, cast a hook yank reel yank reel...called out to them, told me to F off. Made a call but you know how it goes.
I believe the land on the other side of the river there is reserve land...  any method allowed for the natives.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 11:21:38 AM »

Was this run about 2 km or so up from on the run?  A big boiling rock and then a straight stretch?  The funny thing, I watched a bunch of guys with their floats about 6-8ft from their weight but with only 1.5 ft of leader and a bit of wool...  Having GREAT success.  Not flossing, not snagging, but the trick seemed to be to get 'er down enough to the fish.  One guy was hammering springs.  INSIDE THE MOUTH.I believe the land on the other side of the river there is reserve land...  any method allowed for the natives.
That sounds about right..Id say about a km or so from the boulders area...straight stretch of river. I did see a guy catch a beauty wild coho using the method you described...had a #4 hook with wool in the beak. I've just never seen people do this sideways float thing with 8 ft of line and a 2 ft leader.

And yes the people across the river were FN, didnt feel the need to bring it up in original post.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 01:53:11 PM »

The quick way into that area is to come DOWN fro Wilson road :D

At that lower curve after the LONNG straight run, there USED be a beauty little steelhead spot just before the curve. That's where I'm standing in my Avatar :)

The GREAT flood changed that :(

Banny

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 02:12:09 PM »

That sounds about right..Id say about a km or so from the boulders area...straight stretch of river. I did see a guy catch a beauty wild coho using the method you described...had a #4 hook with wool in the beak. I've just never seen people do this sideways float thing with 8 ft of line and a 2 ft leader.

#4 hook and a small piece of wool can truly catch fish short floated at times.  I had my doubts until late last October, where for three days I had my best coho fishing of the season.  All on wool fishing behind roe chuckers.  Go figure.