Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 6th 2010  (Read 4426 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Chilliwack River, October 6th 2010
« on: October 06, 2010, 03:11:06 PM »

What a great day on the Vedder! If you like fish watching. ::)

FishOn36

Re: Chilliwack River, October 6th 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 03:12:53 PM »

The water level is pretty low right now, eh?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 03:14:14 PM »

The water level is just fine.

fishbuster

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 03:24:19 PM »

I think I know what you mean Rod, after one fish first light yesterday it seemed almost impossible to entice a fish to bite.  Lots showing but no takers.  Maybe tomorrow will be my day.

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 03:25:08 PM »

were the big fish jumping everywhere and not taking your presentation? I experienced that view all day yesterday. lots of bruisers splashing but none taking my offering...except for one zombie chum that I lost

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2010, 03:37:53 PM »

It would have been more exciting and less frustrating to sit here and moderate the forum today. ;D

My dad and I arrived well before sunrise because we were so excited today. ::) Both Chris and Nick regularly feed information to me by phone everyday (this is how work does not get done) and yesterday's reports of fish sights (not catchings) were good. We sat on the bank at the chosen spot in darkness, listening to splashes around us. Judging by how big they were and how they were jumping, I guessed that most of them were coho. I thought, this was going to be on spoons today because it has worked out this way before with the same scenario. ::)

Once it was light enough to fish, both of us were casting spoons for them risers. I had a couple of quick tugs at the beginning but there were nothing to show. Nick showed up at the other side of the river an hour after we started. He drifted roe and immediately was into a big silver spring just as he wanted. He landed it, dispatched it, returned to fishing and was into another fish in no time. He later landed another spring. Meanwhile, big silver coho, which I would estimated to be up to 15lb, were just leaping all over the place between both banks. Spoons, spinners, roe were all not working their magic. Nick later told me at lunch that coho were just stacking up on his side and busy heading upstream. They were not biting at all, most likely because of big springs that were taking over the area.

I briefly connected with a coho jack near the end by floating roe, but might as well have caught nothing considering how many fish were in front of us. ::) My dad had one brief hook-up, it was a spring that spat the hook when it leaped out of the water. He also foul hooked another spring that took forever to come off.

Other than that, today was one warm day on October 6th! Lunch was excellent at Cookies as usual, the usual consolation prize after a day of skunking. :P

Water condition in my opinion is as good as it can get. We intend to make the best out of the next two days before heavy rain ruins it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 04:44:06 PM »

My experience was similar but I took the Leaf Craft #2 for a trip. We had lots of bites but I lost every thing I hooked except a 5 inch steelhead smolt, clipped. I lost a coho jack that hardly pulled the float down, became airborne on the strike and fell off. ::)

I played a large chinook salmon for 5 minutes that I should have chased with the boat but it broke off. Lost two other fair sized fish as well.

A good trip to Cookies was the best part of the day as Rodney said with his dad and Nick too.

Jennifer from the Chilliwack Progress joined us to do the story for the October 16 cleanup on Fraser.

I have some video to share of some action, that's if the dunking the camera received in the Vedder River lets it down load. What a beak I was on this one.

Got to go, as the Leaf Craft wants an evening trip as she says success is coming close for the first adult coho of the season and she does not want the trip with The Master tomorrow to do the trick. ;D

salmonsturgeontrout

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 05:44:13 PM »

Hey Rodney, it was nice to meet you this morning, sorry about the mix up with the location, the spot I thought you were talking about was the spot from a few years ago that used to be further upriver. I fished further upriver with the crowd and hit 4 jacks, 1 hatchery,  lost 2 bigger chromers but didnt get to see what they were before they popped off, all hooked surprisingly close to other anglers, must have been hiding in the angler's shadows lol.

mattyo

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 06:44:22 PM »

Fished the lower from about 10 til 4. Kris and myself hooked into over 20 jack coho, 10 jack springs, maybe 12 springs and 2 aduld coho with a couple of chum in the mix. At one point a t about 3 oclock the bites were coming fast. Every cast resulted in a fish :o. Roe was the ticket, even my crappy old orange stuff worked. I haven't had a day like today in a loooong time. Epic!.
Hey Chris, we were fishing right across from you, you shouldn't have left, the bite was on from noon on ;).

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 08:06:59 PM »

Fished the lower from about 10 til 4. Kris and myself hooked into over 20 jack coho, 10 jack springs, maybe 12 springs and 2 aduld coho with a couple of chum in the mix. At one point a t about 3 oclock the bites were coming fast. Every cast resulted in a fish :o. Roe was the ticket, even my crappy old orange stuff worked. I haven't had a day like today in a loooong time. Epic!.
Hey Chris, we were fishing right across from you, you shouldn't have left, the bite was on from noon on ;).
Lunch at Cookies was better and we had to do an interview with the Chilliwack Progress about the Fraser River Cleanup for October 16.
Tonight? ;D
Well my wife is cooking a fish right now. ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2010, 08:17:06 PM »

Well my wife is cooking a fish right now. ;D ;D

Now we know who the real fisher in the family is  ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2010, 08:39:29 PM »

Now we know who the real fisher in the family is  ;D ;D
Yep, she caught a 15 pound chinook salmon on her first fishing trip 45 years ago when we were just married. The good old days. ;D ;D There was a photo on my photo page of her with the fish but Rodney lost them all, I think. :-\

The fish is now ready I am told. ;D Tomorrow will be a good day lots of fish with the Master and a Leaf win too.. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Too bad most of you will be working. ???

andychan

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 08:46:55 PM »

slowest day ever.

i could not believe how bad it was today. sheesh. (not being sarcastic).

hiked all over the place too.

fish got lockjaw or not there ;(

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 09:02:12 PM »

Fish cooked to perfection, time for bed and dream about all the fish The Master and I will catch tomorrow, well he will anyway. ;D

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 12:14:37 PM »

Hooked a ton of coho at the Tuesday hole took home 13 pound hatch