Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Leader Test & Sink Rate - Catch More Fish?  (Read 6335 times)

ericd

Leader Test & Sink Rate - Catch More Fish?
« on: October 07, 2010, 10:52:11 AM »

I've been using 8# leader and getting many bites, but lose them because the line breaks (big springs some times)

After they break the line, I switch to 10# leader and never get a bite!!!

I am just wondering if I need to adjust the length of my leader or float depth when changing to a heavier leader? I can find the zone really well with #8 @ 24" and get the bites, but get nothing on 10# @ 24"

Is the 10# not getting down far enough? I'm a beginner so any advice is much appreciated.

ericd

Re: Leader Test & Sink Rate - Catch More Fish?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 11:19:20 AM »

I was wondering about sink rate of thicker line? and also I have heard that Coho is leader shy.

If leader # doesn't matter, how come the last 4 times I've fished I've got bites on the 8# but none on the #10 using the same rig?

gman

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 11:28:17 AM »

In very clear connditions you may get more bites on lighter line.

Try the fluorocarbon leaders (less visible)  in 10 or 12 pound. Be a little more careful with the knots.

ericd

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 11:46:18 AM »

In very clear connditions you may get more bites on lighter line.

Try the fluorocarbon leaders (less visible)  in 10 or 12 pound. Be a little more careful with the knots.

I've been fishing the Capilano river. It is super clear!

Thus far I've been using P-line 8lbs Flurocarbon and Berkley 10lbs Flurocarbon. No luck on the berkley 10lbs.

I've been using improved clintch knot with 5-6 wraps around. Any suggestions on the knots? You say be more careful. I heard the fluorocarbon is a little more brittle. Just lots of spit?

ericd

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 11:49:37 AM »

Oh, I should add that I've been using improved clintch knot to attach the leader to the swivel and egg loop to attach the line to the hook. Been using wool on the hook.

Are there better knots to use for fluorocarbon?

river-rod dyl

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 12:05:35 PM »

I have always been using flouro carbin in clear water areas.  Stick to the same knot; I prefer wrapping it 6 times for the leader to the swivel, and 5 times on my main line to the swivel. 
Also a little tip... rub your fingers along your leader to feel any dings in it.  Any small dings or knots in your flouro carbin leader will break on any slight of pull.

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 12:11:22 PM »

I typically use 8 - 10 lb fluorocarbon when targeting the coho.  However, lately I've been having difficulting landing the fish as I'm finding the 8 lb fluro breaks easily when the fish is close to shore.  Might be time to go back to 8 lb Maxima ultragreen if the fish aren't too spooked.  And yes, IMHO - coho can be very shy so every advantage helps - incl. going down in leader size in clear water conditions.  I've even gone down to 6 lb. flurocarbon and hooked coho when the 8 lb isn't working.

The advantage of flurocarbon is stealth.  However, a big disadvantage is a lack of tensile strength compared to regular mono like Maxima ultragreen, which has more strech or "give" and the fish won't break off as easily.

As for springs - well, I've landed them on 8 lb flurocarbon, but it depends on if the fish "cooperates".  I do find that once a spring is subdued, it gives up fairly easily.  Coho, on the other hand, never give up and will often give you a final fight AFTER the fish has been landed.  I've seen, and experienced, many times when the coho is "landed" only to get away when an inexperienced fisher tries to tail the fish.

Btw - ericd, were you using flurocarbon or regular mono for leader?

ericd

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2010, 12:21:51 PM »

thanks Magician!

I've been fishing for a month on mono leader without any bites (I'm novice). Friend recommended I switch to fluorocarbon, and I've started getting bites!! Now I just need to stop the knot from breaking. It looks like my egg loop knot on the hook is failing.

What type of knot are you using for your wool?

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2010, 02:53:57 PM »

I use the egg loop knot, which is shown in the animation below (scoll down to the last animation):

http://www.wigglefin.com/knots/fishing_knots.html

:)

ericd

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2010, 03:20:25 PM »

That's the same type of knot I was using. Guess I'm doing things right. Been doing some reading and looks like I should take care when tying the knot and do it slowly with some spit to make sure there is no friction burn to weaken the leader.

Thanks!

ericd

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 04:08:23 PM »

I think the problem was the line I was using. It was berkley vanish 8lb. Done some research, lots of people claim that it is brittle. Did my knot tying underwater to keep it cool and lubed. Seemed to work.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 04:20:28 PM »

Berkley Vanish is a waste of money IMO

Justin

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 03:44:36 PM »

While fishing the Cap I have hooked fish using up to 15lb flourocarbon leader.  Mostly I use 10lb maxima ultragreen for leader.  Though when its really clear and the place that I am fishing does not have a lot of chop or water displacement than I use 10-15lb P-line flourocarbon.

Justin

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 01:03:18 AM »

I use the Berkely Vanish and haven't had any problems with it, I like the 10lb for all my Coho gear and fly fishing. As said you do have to be a bit more careful with the knots though.

bcguy

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 05:13:10 AM »

I've also found the Berkley Vanish to be a brittle line, Maxima ultragreen is my line of choice now, even the 8# holds up well
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB