Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 7th 2010  (Read 3858 times)

devon42

Chilliwack River, October 7th 2010
« on: October 07, 2010, 04:52:27 PM »

started 6 am in the canal and like all my other trips this week., nothing So moved up to a new spot. came to a spot where a small side channel meet the main river with a big hole where they meet. didn't really think to fish it until i saw some fish rising in the really slow water. the fish looked small so i though they might be trout but after they kept coming up it got my attention and i realized they were some coho's so i started throwing a spinner but no takers so i put on some roe and drifted it in the very slow water float was moving pretty slowly... missed one hit then a few cast later fish on.. a decent doe chum on the line. after running out of roe i just put on some wool and that's when i got my first coho of the season, a nice little wild jack,

after not catching anything for a while moved to a different spot with some other guys on the opposite side of the river all flossing chum and a few coho in the mix.. the water was shallow and clear and i could see all the fish moving up, saw lots of coho jacks and a few adults and some fresh chum to.but couldn't get any of them to bite
fishing has been very tough for me this week so i hope tomorrow will bring me more Ho's before the big rain

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, October 7th 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 05:19:58 PM »

The Master and I fished from daylight to 2 but I had a couple of short naps when the fishing slowed down. ;D

Of course I got out fished three fold as Nick landed several coho jacks, chinook and a good number of chum. We each took home a chum but the adult coho salmon are still avoiding us.

We missed many fish as it can be hard to hook them in the slow moving water of the canal. I got lots of video footage of the action.

We ended the day with a late lunch at Cookies and left the river to the late arrivals in Rodney and his dad.

Those tossing spinners and spoons way way down the canal were having more success on the Co's it seems. That's OK of course but we personally like the challenge of trying to hook the fish by float fishing and we had plenty of practice today.

Back to the hockey game for second period action as we lead the team from Montreal. ;D ;D ;D

Aki

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 09:11:19 PM »

Fished well above Vedder crossing from three pm to dark. Saw quite a few fish moving through especially after 4pm. Caught a beautiful hatchery doe coho, about 12 lbs, around 5pm. Also landed a coloured buck chum (released)  and long line released a couple of springs and one coho (snapped my 8lb leader at the bottom end of a rapids; couldn't keep up with it running on the rocks). All in all a good day. Looks like we are getting to the best part of the run in the next couple of weeks. Could use a little rain to bring the water up.

BBarley

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:42:45 PM »

A little birdie told me they are stacked up down at the mouth, just waiting for a surge of water to bring them upriver. Considering the anticipated 50+ millimeters of rain forecasted to start soon, I think there's going to be a enormous surge of fish in the next few days ;D

Anyone that's been keeping an eye on the Albion test numbers will notice that there are a load of fish headed this way.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 11:55:29 PM »

After yesterday's poor performance, we decided to head back for more torture this afternoon. Chris phoned me at 9:30am for an update. "Lots of bites.", he said. My dad and I headed to the river at 11:00am to catch the afternoon bite, if there is even such a thing anymore.

We arrived at 12:30pm and watched Chris and Nick anchored in the middle of the river. While he was giving me another update, a nearby angler landed a beautiful coho salmon. I was eager to fish so we left them to our chosen spot. The day didn't start out as smoothly as I wanted. Dad immediately lost a float, which was retrieved by Chris and Nick later on. He then caught up on a couple of snags soon after, plus donating a spoon to the river. The canal can be a easy place to watch the float, but snags can be a nuisance if one is not used to it. He wasn't able to cast precisely so it became a pretty big challenge after awhile.

We decided to make a move further upstream to where I connected with a jack spring on Monday morning. We arrived to find Rhino already fishing the run. He and I shared our results from today. I reported nothing while he had some success with springs and jacks at a mid river spot where we have fished together a couple of times. After fishing for awhile together, we concluded that there were no fish in this run so I decided to take my dad further up to where he was fishing, just so he could at least possibly connect with a fish on this last fishing day.

We arrived to find no one occupying the spot as usual. Clouds were moving in fast, so there was no reason that they wouldn't bite. There were some jumpers and I soon noticed some finnings very close to shore. They looked like a mixture of chinook, coho and chum salmon. Some were in fact quite silver. I told Dad that the spoon wouldn't work as well here because the current was too fast, but he grabbed the spinning rod anyway to give it a try. ::) I drifted through where I thought the fish would be resting and it didn't take long for the float to dive twice, but I missed them both as usual. I quickly passed the rod back and urged him to make the same drifts. He placed the float along the lane where I had found some life and it only took two casts before it went down again. The float dive was not hard to miss after seeing it above water for three days. ::) He set the hook and the fish headed for the tailout like what any chinook salmon would do. Line peeled off his reel while he frantically asked me what he should be doing, I'm not sure why since he has caught a few salmon in the past. I told him that he should be pointing the rod sideways and hold back some more as the rod can actually take more abuse than what he was giving it. Once he got used to it, he had full control of the fish so I could grab the camera to capture the moments. It was a chinook, just slightly bigger than the size of a jack. He slid the fish into the shallow as I instructed him so we could take a photo of it before letting it go. The fish was semi-coloured but it was worth a million bucks after so many hours of experimenting.

By the time he let the fish go, we only had a bit of daylight left so we tried to make the most out of it. I could see more fish were cruising through the run so was hopeful that we would have more bent rods. It was not meant to be unfortunately. The highlight of the day did come near the end. While we were almost calling it a day, a big black bear emerged on the other side of the river (kind of funny, since I asked Rhino if he had seen signs of bears before we left for this spot). It patrolled the bank, most likely seeking for food at dusk. I don't think my dad has ever seen a bear in the wild so that brought just as much excitement as landing the fish earlier.

So the week of Vedder fishing with my dad is over for another year. With only a couple of jacks to show, I am reminded that I do not have the desire to quit my day job and become a fishing guide. ::) I'd  end up hating fishing a lot and have pretty disappointing clients every time.

colin6101

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 12:05:22 AM »

I also almost ran into some bears two days ago on the vedder just up from the crossing. Make sure you make lots of noise when walking down to the river, it saved me a close call that day.

paulbish

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 10:03:25 AM »

Rod I envy the fishing time you have with your father. I am sure you enjoyed ever minute.

lovethewater

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 11:45:28 AM »

Wow, that's really cool.  Your dad looks so proud of himself in that shot.  Lucky to have those moments to share with him...

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 01:23:13 PM »

Nice fish caught int this report.

This season has been challenging for me too.  I was up at Campbell River last week.   There were a bunch of springs in the system plus a few Coho.   I lost every single coho that I hooked into and the springs kept snapping my line like it was nothing (..eventually gave up on the springs as they were just too big for my gear).

Its funny how I can be on a roll some days and other days just losing everything I hook into  :P

...will be doing the 'Angling guide' thing for my brother nephew and friend tomorrow.   I am sure they will outfish me as they inevitably do ::)  Don't know why it is that I show someone else a technique I have learned and they end up doing way better than I usually do.   Hoping I will have some satisfied fishing companions tomorrow :)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 02:15:18 PM »

I was a bit puzzled this morning when I read the replies and some of the PMs sent to me after my report, because I wasn't bitter and the report was supposed to be a funny take of the trip after so many mishaps. Should I have put some ;) in the post? I asked Nina to read the post just in case I missed something, then she pointed out something rather important...

In the last paragraph, I wrote:

So the week of Vedder fishing with my dad is over for another year. With only a couple of jacks to show, I am reminded that I do not have the desire to quit my day job and become a fishing guide. I'd end up hating fishing a lot and have pretty disappointing clients every time.

It should have been:

So the week of Vedder fishing with my dad is over for another year. With only a couple of jacks to show, I am reminded that I do not have the desire to quit my day job and become a fishing guide. I'd  end up hating fishing a lot and have pretty disappointed clients every time.

:o

I wasn't trying to imply that I was disappointed at my dad, but rather I can't seem to get a fish on his line for three days until the last hour so I'd have disappointed clients if I take up guiding as a job. ;D

In the future, it's probably not a good idea to post a report that late at night and Nina should probably proofread all my posts. :-\
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 02:18:15 PM by Rodney »

Nina

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 02:21:47 PM »

I was a bit puzzled this morning when I read the replies and some of the PMs sent to me after my report, because I wasn't bitter and the report was supposed to be a funny take of the trip after so many mishaps. Should I have put some ;) in the post? I asked Nina to read the post just in case I missed something, then she pointed out something rather important...

In the last paragraph, I wrote:

It should have been:

:o

I wasn't trying to imply that I was disappointed at my dad, but rather I can't seem to get a fish on his line for three days until the last hour so I'd have disappointed clients if I take up guiding as a job. ;D

In the future, it's probably not a good idea to post a report that late at night and Nina should probably proofread all my posts. :-\

I think your new nickname should be 'Rambling Rod'  ;D

bluenoser

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 04:46:18 PM »

Yeah Rambling Rod :D is pretty lucky to be able to fish with his dad and his wife.....not to mention insider info from Chris and Lew.

I always thought guiding would be a great job until I went with Murphy's a few times on the Stamp in sub zero temperatures with no fish taken by any of the boats. Day in and day out guiding under every condition must be difficult.

Not too mention taking my 10 year old daughter fishing, she expects results...tough being her guide but so very rewarding when she connects.

Great picture of your dad Rod.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 04:53:15 PM by bluenoser »

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 05:35:17 PM »

you're so lucky to be able to fish with your dad...it's been years since i've gone with mine, unfortunately because of arthritis and a heart condition his fishing days are pretty much over.  :'(

great photo Rod and best of health to your father.  :)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 11:07:41 PM »

Many of us including Rod do not have to land a fish on every outing to make it rewarding. It is just great being out there along the river and to be with ones dad makes it all the more special. My dad passed away a few years ago but when I am out in his boat, (Leaf Craft#2) that is just few years younger than me (67)  I feel his presence on each trip. He mooched out of it for many years, in the ocean taking 49 winter chinooks one season, in the 1950's. he said he was responsible for the decline of salmon. In those days there was no shortage of fish and there was not many days without fish but that was a major food source for our family during those lean years.

8 hours until the next trip, bed time, as the rain continues to fall.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 02:43:10 AM »

Nice report rod. I'm glad the usual hole produced for your old man. Sorry about the inaccurate bear report but catching a fish is worth the risk anyway right!?! :D