Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 8th 2010  (Read 3687 times)

FishOn36

Chilliwack River, October 8th 2010
« on: October 08, 2010, 02:27:32 PM »

The Tamahi rapids didn't produce for me today..not at all!, I spotted a couple risers out in the middle a coho and a chum in the same spot. A few guys were nailing em on the campground side in those deep pools. Saw 2 nice hatchery fish caught right beside me by a couple of boneheads who kept drifting way past me, and let it sit there for like 10 seconds then yank it, then they casted over on and other so I couldn't even get a cast in cause one of their lines would always be right in front of me.  Then one of these guys had the balls to ask me if i've fished there before and how to have my gear setup..some people... >:( The river is well below ideal for me at the moment, hopefully it rains good tonight!

/rant over.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 02:35:33 PM by FishOn36 »

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
Re: Chilliwack River, October 8th 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 03:01:41 PM »

Sounds like a bullying tactic to me. Time for the double elbow smash to the pumpkin heads I think  ;D ;D ;D

After all , it's hockey season too  ;D ;D

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 03:08:22 PM »

Why would you fish the gong show at Tamahi? I wouldnt expect anything different at that spot.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Hooks_of_Fury

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 03:09:37 PM »

ya that place is a noob snag hole

Fish Slayer

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2010, 03:16:39 PM »

What's wrong with fishing in the gong show spots? A good angler can pull fish out of the busiest spots, by not fishing those busy spots you limit yourself as an angler. I myself usually will look for less busy waters however I am not affraid to get elbows deep in a spot and go pull out fish while everyone else struggles. I love the look on others faces when it happens and it's a great feeling as well lol. Also it's not the spot that is the problem, it is the techniques used there to hook fish.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2010, 03:52:45 PM »

Also it's not the spot that is the problem, it is the techniques used there to hook fish.

x2

FishOn36

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2010, 04:33:59 PM »

Ive fished the tamahi rapids 4 times in the last week and every time I saw atleast 2 coho snagged by some newbies. Out of 15 guys there was maybe 5 that were float fishing properly. Unfortunately this is becoming the norm,  beaks that don't know to properly fish standing shoulder to shoulder reefing on their rod every time their lead hits a rock. And don't even get me started on all the  trash, if you can bring it with you then why can't you take it out? They need to install garbage cans at each hole/run.

By "properly" float fishing, you mean not fishing so deep to where your lead is dragging on the bottom and your float is sideways?  :D I hate to admit it, but I'm one of those noobs who tends to yank on their rod when their lead hits a rock, this is my second year doing this kind of fishing and I'm trying to learn what to feel for. I also noticed that there was a TON a garbage everywhere, mainly line/empty spools, Tim Hortons cups, swivel/hook packets, pieces of lead etc....it's pretty ridiculous.

Rantalot

• Old Timer
  • If you cast they will come
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 06:55:07 PM »

when i came back today it actually was not that bad!

gman

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 07:08:10 PM »

Landed a wild coho, lost another  and landed some springs on the upper river in a good first light bite. Tried a lower river gravel pit pool but I had no luck - it was ringed with people so I tihnk the coho would be spooked - I did not stay long. Lastly landed a couple of chums in the canal section.

I saw no problems or horror stories to report, just a nice day on the river. :)

azafai

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 07:29:49 PM »

horror histories??
most of those horror histories you read here are just because some guys want everything just for themselves and/or they they want it to be.
yeahh, ..would have been nice.. if I had the whole river only for myself.
one just need to remember that nobody is perfect!!

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 07:58:04 PM »

horror histories??
most of those horror histories you read here are just because some guys want everything just for themselves and/or they they want it to be.
yeahh, ..would have been nice.. if I had the whole river only for myself.
one just need to remember that nobody is perfect!!

This is coming from the same mouth that asked  "IS SIGHT FISHING ALLOWED ON THE VEDDER" and " FLOSS WITH CARE"  ::) ::)

dead head

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 08:39:38 PM »

We got a bunch today alot of very clean chum in the river, tones of fish moving.We even seen a stretched limo up at the slab lol.I think the sport of acually getting the fish to bite is coming to an end on this river >:(peoples setups would be from hook to the float would like 12 feet lol and massive pcs of wool.

Aki

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 08:55:07 PM »

Fished the upper river from 3pm to dark. Landed a couple of nice springs which were released. Lost one coho; for some reason the main line broke at the swivel (15lb main line and 8lb leader). Oh well. It was a beautiful evening with the sun peeking out here and there. Just a ton of fish moving through the river from about 4pm on. It's been a while since I have seen so many fish moving through; chums, springs and coho.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 10:04:02 PM »

Ive fished the tamahi rapids 4 times in the last week and every time I saw atleast 2 coho snagged by some newbies. Out of 15 guys there was maybe 5 that were float fishing properly. Unfortunately this is becoming the norm,  beaks that don't know to properly fish standing shoulder to shoulder reefing on their rod every time their lead hits a rock. And don't even get me started on all the  trash, if you can bring it with you then why can't you take it out? They need to install garbage cans at each hole/run.
A good idea but who is going to empty them? I have a few garbage bags out including one at Tamihi, I guess I better get up there and see if it is full.

Sometimes when I put bags out but people take them away, to put fish in I guess so now I put something smelly in them. ;D

My brief fishing report for today.

day got off to a bad start as The leaf Craft #2 bounced out of the leaf Mobile along one of Chillwack's bumpy roads. Not going that fast but the rope holding her in broke. The boat skidded past me on the road. We both felt embarrassed and i was a beak.

When we got to the river my bad luck continued as I lost every fish i hooked. Found one DNE float before I took Chad the Leaf Mobile's Doctor to Cookies for lunch. Then off to a meeting with the mayor of Chilliwack. I wanted only to meet for 15 minutes so I could go back out fishing but we met for 1 hour talking about many environmental issues including Fraser River Gravel. I was there to invite her to The Paddle along with Alexandra Morton that starts in Hope on October 19. www.salmonaresacred.org

With the recent streak of losing fish I visited the Master at Chilliwack Dart and Tackle and got some new hooks before I headed back to the Vedder.

I got to the river with less than a hour to fish. I now had the Leaf Craft #3 to use as it is lighter than LC #2.

I decided to give the hook from this morning a chance to redeem itself but its fate was sealed as I lost 3 in a row, two that I believe were adult coho by the way they were fighting. On went the Gammy and I promptly landed two coho jacks that came home for supper. I then lost another jack and missed a lot of bites, some I know were smolts. I was going Goose hunting in the morning but with the river most likely going to blow out some time tomorrow the geese can wait as I need to get that first adult coho salmon, the hooks may make the difference. :-\

ja

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 10:43:18 PM »

Was out fishing today most of the afternoon.  Very enjoyable.  Fished mid river.  Landed one nice 25lb spring and two jack chinooks, one of which was red.  ;D  Also released a Dolly Varden (beautiful fish) and a coloured Chum.  I'm pretty new to this type of fishing so I consider this a good day.  I had another on, and it decided to go for a run....whizzing through the spool...and I thought I had a reasonable amount of drag set.  So I put my thumb down on the spool to slow things down (baitcaster)....wrong move.  I got nice sore thumb for my efforts and still didn't slow the thing down.  It finally broke the line.  Note to myself, do not use my thumb to increase the drag  ::)

ps.  where can I get info on how to post pictures to my message?