Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis River, October 8th 2010  (Read 1129 times)

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
Chehalis River, October 8th 2010
« on: October 09, 2010, 08:43:48 PM »

Didn't want to face the gong show on the Vedder today, so headed over to Chehalis to take a peek. Tried the Easter Seal area a bit, but didn't like what I saw. Headed up towards the Canyon and long-lined released a beautiful 12" bow on a small jig. Found a nice pocket and lost the jig on a snag.  :( Switched over to a blade and on the second cast, the float makes a dive and BAM! Fish on! It flipped, and I knew instantly that it wasn't a little trout. After a tremendous fight (for a fish it's size) I got it close enough to see that it was a nice little Coho, a hatchery at that. After a rather pathetic landing attempt, I beached the beauty. The next 2 hours proved uneventful, pounding a bunch of beautiful locations that I thought would hold fish. Then in the last hour, I nailed a wild Jack Ho that was carefully released. All in all, a surprisingly successful trip. Definitely not as many fish as the Vedder, but I did see fish surfacing every so often.

And before anyone says it didn't happen because I don't have a picture, take a look.

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Chehalis River, October 8th 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 08:51:59 PM »

Looks like a Cap coho to me  :D

leaping steely

• Old Timer
  • Who goes fishing anymore?
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 08:56:58 PM »

Looks like a Cap coho to me  :D
Yeah, definitely NOT a brute like some of the ones on the Vedder, but I'm not complaining.  ;)

BIG T

• Old Timer
  • One crazy fisherman!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 09:41:20 PM »

Hey leaping steely, Nice report, glad that you have such a great day ;). See you at the flow :P

lovetofish

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 07:50:54 AM »

It's good to know that there are still places to fish this river, just wish I had the time. :D