Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 14th, 2010  (Read 2672 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, October 14th, 2010
« on: October 13, 2010, 09:59:46 PM »

Looking forward to a good day tomorrow, no need to rush as the bite seems to be a bit later but will be there at first light just incase. ;D ;D

Who else is heading out?

salmonsturgeontrout

Re: Chilliwack River, October 14th, 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 10:04:45 PM »

my dad and I are heading out, I've had all the luck so far other than some some trout and smolts he caught so hopefully he can get into something a little bigger tomorrow

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2010, 10:16:00 PM »

Chris, I am out of town for a week so I'll miss seeing you losing all those hoes :P I actually could not resist hitting up the river for the last hour of light tonight. When I got there fish were rolling everywhere! Non stop action for about 45 minutes, literally every other cast! 

one more cast

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2010, 11:16:54 PM »

Chris, I am out of town for a week so I'll miss seeing you losing all those hoes :P I actually could not resist hitting up the river for the last hour of light tonight. When I got there fish were rolling everywhere! Non stop action for about 45 minutes, literally every other cast! 

Mostly springs? Did you land any ho's?

fishiotherapist

• Haneyphysiotherapyclinic
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 11:17:28 PM »

Proceeded to my favorite flow after work today hoping to duplicate my success last Monday.
I didn't bother removing the blade that I used last time and on the third cast....boom... the float dipped and a silver salmon went airborne 3X.
It was a doe hatch silver salmon...

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 11:34:49 PM »

Did not rush to the river today and in talking to gman later in the day there was no morning bite to speak of. I was using roe bags again today as they have been productive of late. The first fish I landed was a chum and being the last day of retention it found its way onto the bottom of Leaf Craft #3.

I decided to take it ashore to the Leaf Mobile and then picked a little garbage out of the river. Also found a cell phone that had been talking to the fishes for a while also a credit card along with 6 floats. One finds all sorts of things when cleaning up. I talked to a few anglers while cleaning up and saw a coho jack on the shore. With a bag partly full of garbage back to the truck and slipped to a store for a coffee as it was that time of day. When I got back to the river the bite was on and I landed 4 coho jacks all clipped and all went back to the water. I also lost a nice bright chinook and lost track of the chums as they were coming in waves. Numerous bites kept the day intersesing to say the least. Don was into the chum as well throwing blades, odd they is a closure on Friday as there was lots around today, anyway

I also took another break in between the action as I had to place a donut order at Tims on Lickman for the Fraser River cleanup on Saturday. They also are giving us 100 refillable cups that includes a free refill, thanks to George Shaw owner of Tim's for this.

Once again no adult coho landed but gman did find a wild one, well maybe tomorrow I will, the odds should be with me one would think.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2010, 08:43:59 AM »

great report chris... quick question do the chum and springs hold in the different water than the coho.. i have no problems hooking into the springs and cant keep the chums off... still waiting for that elusive coho to take my offering.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 08:51:11 AM »

great report chris... quick question do the chum and springs hold in the different water than the coho.. i have no problems hooking into the springs and cant keep the chums off... still waiting for that elusive coho to take my offering.
I think since they introducted the white chinook stock to the Chilliwack Vedder they have made the coho harder to catch as they most likely stir up the runs making the coho nervous with their aggressiveness, only a guess though. Do not feel bad a lot of others are having a hard time getting coho salmon, makes one want to start flossing. ;D ;D ;D

A double header from yesterday here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAAsBHvB-DY

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 01:15:14 PM »

Do not feel bad a lot of others are having a hard time getting coho salmon, makes one want to start flossing. ;D ;D ;D
i would sell all of my gear and take up golf, maybe knitting before i start flossing...something about the fish biting  the hook that has me coming back as much as i can to that beautiful system...  thanks for the insight, in time i will hook into the coho we all enjoy so much.. take it easy and tight lines..

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 01:36:22 PM »

i would sell all of my gear and take up golf, maybe knitting before i start flossing...something about the fish biting the hook that has me coming back as much as i can to that beautiful system...  thanks for the insight, in time i will hook into the coho we all enjoy so much.. take it easy and tight lines..
Have not flossed, sockeye that is for for 8 years and I never did in any other system other than the Fraser when we first got it open a long time ago.

Of course it took us a while to find out the sockeye were not biting, slow learners I guess. :-\

I wonder if there is anyone out there that never did the floss.

Time for a nap before I head out for the evening bite as I have all I needed to do in planning for the cleanup tomorrow, did a live interview with 89.5 the Hawk at Tim Hortons on Lickman Supposed to do one with CBC too but they have not called back yet.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 03:43:56 PM »

i have never fished for sockeye on the fraser and never bottom bounced, i look forward to your report, take it easy and tight lines..

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 04:54:10 PM »

Never flossed a fish in my life, don't need to, I'm a fish & chick magnet ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2010, 09:26:13 PM »

Never flossed a fish in my life, don't need to, I'm a fish & chick magnet ;D ;D ;D
Though for a moment you said you were a fish and chip magnet. ;D ;D

Hooks_of_Fury

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2010, 09:48:29 AM »

ya its sad that so many people floss now a days but 90% of them dont know any better or havent had success trying to get them to bite so they never change. a lot of guys use techniques that both floss and attract strikes just cause they cant resist getting more action. but hopefully one day fighting salmon wont be as big a thrill anymore, and thats when they will discover what a "sport"fishing is.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 05:46:14 PM »

well put HOF  hope that day comes soon, maybe we can have some room to play our fish...