Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Simms G3 vs. Redington CPX  (Read 13762 times)

fishfulthinkin

Simms G3 vs. Redington CPX
« on: October 18, 2010, 05:57:02 PM »

hey guys,

im just having troubles justifying the huge price difference.
ive read some great reviews on both waders and for the price on Redingtons matched with their compareble features
im having trouble justifying the huge price difference or taking the chance on the CPX waders.

has anyone owned both these waders or spent some time in each?

i know simms are a huge name in the wader business and alot of guys swear by them
however i hear the same reports on every wader that ppl have owned G3's (even G4's) and blown a seam within the first
few outings.. any wader can have faults.

I also know that simms uses gortex material and its the best breathable material on the market
how does the material used in the CPX compare?

i dont have a ton of money to spend right now. so if i could save a chunk of change at its worth it to do so. i would like that option

thanks for input guys

cheers

p.s. i've actually seen a review online where the CPX zipper front were compared to the G4 zipper front (however im not going for the zipper fronts)
the waders have a striking resemblance

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: Simms G3 vs. Redington CPX
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 06:23:16 PM »

havent worn the cpx but the simms G3 are over rated. lasted a couple months b4 leaking....look at patagonia or dan bailey...i have heard better things about them
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

BBarley

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 07:56:50 PM »

G3's  ;D

diels

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 08:29:19 PM »

i have a buddy who had the cpx's(multiple pairs) and i dont think they lasted more than a few outings each time.  but they did keep replacing them for free. the cpx's problem is a weak seam on the inside of the leg that rubs through because they are quite stiff. i have heard of other people havin problems with them as well. i have a pair of g3's and do alot of hiking in them and have no complaints.

gilbey

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 08:53:22 PM »

The Reddington felt sole wading boots are really crappy. They are comfortable however the side seams split after a short time and I have seen this on 4 or 5 pairs of boots. I would look at other brands. I had to glue the seams on my pair when they started to split after about month of sockeye fishing!

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 08:59:25 PM »

Simms all day, any day.  Most people that say Simms are overrated either have never worn a pair, or got the wrong size and they fit wrong and wore out prematurely. 

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 10:51:27 PM »

Simms all day, any day.  Most people that say Simms are overrated either have never worn a pair, or got the wrong size and they fit wrong and wore out prematurely. 

have had 4 different pairs of simms..all properly fitted and all have been a bust...my brother has had similar experiences with his simms..to give you an idea, bare blackwaters were a better wader for me...and thats saying a lot.

atleast there boots are nice.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

lapa

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 11:02:00 PM »

havent worn the cpx but the simms G3 are over rated. lasted a couple months b4 leaking....look at patagonia or dan bailey...i have heard better things about them
I have new simms but never use it. Still using 5 years old patagonia waders and love them.

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 06:38:46 AM »

Simms all day, any day.  Most people that say Simms are overrated either have never worn a pair, or got the wrong size and they fit wrong and wore out prematurely.  

Could not agree more. Simms are the way to go and as said if they "fit" properly ie. dont pull when lifting your leg or are extremely to big and rub will outlast on average the competitors. There is a reason most guys who are on the water everyday (guides etc.) more often than not use simms. Worth the extra expense IMO.
always a student

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2010, 07:01:32 AM »

i have an old pair of simms waders, probably....approaching 8+ years, and let me tell you i have not cared for them at all, i left them outside for a full winter one year, i've put them through heck....and they still don't leak.

reconize

• eeeeeeeereconize
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2010, 12:14:48 PM »

If you want Chinese gear don't buy the g3s. I have the headwaters... Made in USA and this is my secOnd year with em no leaks
mm fish

Riverman

• old fart
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2010, 02:07:40 PM »

Cabelas Guidetech have had mine 3plus years.Still going strong.I fish just under 100 days a year and not from a boat.I ave bushwacked many k's in them.Owned several sets of different waders all were unsatisfactory some way.The Guidetech waders were one third the price of Simms with lots of features.With our dollar at par or nearly they are worth a look.I would buy them here if I did not have to pay three times as much for the same stuff from China.
Riverman

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2010, 03:54:58 PM »

The G3's I have were made in Bozeman, MT. USA, not China. 

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2010, 07:46:21 PM »

If you want Chinese gear don't buy the g3s. I have the headwaters... Made in USA and this is my secOnd year with em no leaks
so headwaters are made in china? or simms are? what are you saying here?

jules

« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2010, 11:07:49 PM »

G3's,7 years, beach fishing,river fishing and lake fishing, little care, no leaks. Simms all the way.