Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River, October 25th 2010  (Read 4137 times)

Hohummm

• I'm a llama! and llamas are bigger than frogs
Stave River, October 25th 2010
« on: October 25, 2010, 07:51:48 PM »

Fished the Stave this evening, and with the chum fishery closed to retention, thought I'd make a more concerted effort at catching some a little nicer. Left the jigs in the tackle box and was short-floating small silver blades. Caught and released 3 or 4 chums, ranging from one bright female (with lice) to an old boot of a male. Towards the end of the evening I got a solid fish on, very acrobatic and took several good runs.  Not a chum this time!

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Stave River, October 25th 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 08:03:47 PM »

Is spring in Stave also white springs?

TheChumWhisperer

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 08:06:04 PM »

Is spring in Stave also white springs?

Ummmmm??  What??

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 08:10:07 PM »

Meat colour.  Noticed the spring skin colour look similar to white spring of the Vedder.

doja

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 08:23:11 PM »

I'd think they all are whites.

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 10:56:13 PM »

did you keep it
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

Hohummm

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 05:23:36 AM »

did you keep it

I was going to but my pen was in the truck, and my friend couldn't get hers out to record it on my licence for me and the black helicopters were flying overhead...... ;)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 09:26:07 AM »

you could have kept it and stopped fishing as to avoid a fine. it only needs to be recorded right away if your going to keep fishing, I watch people all the time bonk and go back to fishing only to stop a few mins later to record their fish, I have done this myself, sometimes the moment that fish are biting makes you forget things LOL

there has even been a couple times when my pen wouldnt work so i had to just wait until i got back to the truck to record my fish, did i keep fishing? Sure did  :P

Oh and i have ran into a CO with an adult spring in my possesion without it recorded so he allowed me to use his pen because i said mine didnt work. ALWAYS carry a pen though because he asked to see my pen otherwise i was getting a ticket. I have a pen in each one of my fishing vests/packs, that reminds me i better check if they work before Steelhead season  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 09:58:30 AM »

" Quote from Hook"
Oh and i have ran into a CO with an adult spring in my possesion without it recorded so he allowed me to use his pen because i said mine didnt work.

You must have read this already. It floors me to see that one CO can be this different than another in regards to " THE PEN"

From another thread,

Was fishing today on the Alouette at Alco Park, caught one spring around 6lbs, and when my buddy and I were returning to his truck we saw the CO's in the parking lot. They asked to see our licenses and to look at our gear, "no problem" we said, as we were legal (we figured), and I said to the CO's, "Seeing as you have a pen I can write down my catch, seeing as I lost mine while fishing." They looked at my buddies fishing & driver's lic. and took mine back to their truck. After keeping us waiting way over half an hour, they brought my licenses back and told me they were giving me a $115.00 fine for failure to record my catch immediately. They gave us this spiel about it being a "conservation measure" as there is no stocking program for springs, and how they "could have confiscated my gear and my catch" as well as the fine, and they had no way of knowing whether I actually would have recorded my catch. I'm TOTALLY aware of that. What total bullshite! Another fishing buddy of mine has commented numerous times in the past that I'm the most honest fisherman he knows, they have both been with me numerous times in the past when I have told others that the foul-hooked fish they were just ready to bonk has to be released. I WILL be contesting this.

So... word to the wise everyone, even if you try to do everything right, remember, CYA (cover your ***), and pack two pens, in different pockets.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 10:02:18 AM by Bently »

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 10:05:31 AM »

as you can see he said he "lost" his pen  ::) I said i still had my pen on me but it just didnt work and yes the CO checked it by trying to use it first, then allowed me to use his without ticketing me.

could he have given me a ticket anyways for having a dead pen ? Im sure he could have but most of them are good peoples

I normally fish with other people so if we all have a pen then one has got to work right ?? not always in the winter  >:(
Check out our new blog

Hohummm

« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 10:17:32 AM »

ok, I guess it was my fault for mentioning "the pen" in my response to whether I kept it or not.....but there is plenty of discussion on two other topics about bringing a pen with you. I didn't keep it because it was a bit too dark for me. I still have a couple sockeye in the freezer and several dozen jars of canned fish too so I can be somewhat picky about what to keep.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2010, 10:29:02 AM »

ok, I guess it was my fault for mentioning "the pen" in my response to whether I kept it or not.....but there is plenty of discussion on two other topics about bringing a pen with you. I didn't keep it because it was a bit too dark for me. I still have a couple sockeye in the freezer and several dozen jars of canned fish too so I can be somewhat picky about what to keep.

It does look like it's going green, but still a nice catch, good on ya for the release, so it can complete the cycle, hopefully that is ;)

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 10:42:42 AM »

Meat colour.  Noticed the spring skin colour look similar to white spring of the Vedder.

They are all white springs is the Stave. Lots of them in there too Bwi.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 10:56:58 AM »

its funny you say that Newsman because until this year i have only ever seen 1 caught in that river and it was in the mid 30lb range on a Silver spoon, guy landed and released it and then i proceeded to get it 10mins later on my fly  ::) damn hungry thing ! Its good to see more in there now and no i have not fished that river myself this year but have seen many pics from it around LOL
Check out our new blog

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2010, 03:44:54 PM »

I don't know about lots of them, I have never seen very many but when we do the are usually monsters.
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'