Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Vedder River question  (Read 5943 times)

ja

Vedder River question
« on: October 26, 2010, 10:20:30 PM »

I'm just wondering, is this season's run of salmon coming to an end on the Vedder?  Or does anyone figure they'll be another significant push of fish in the river, especially with the rain we've (we'll) be getting?  I was out on Sunday and saw few fish surface compared to days earlier.  Also, the fish I saw were mostly dark.  It was a big change from a week earlier when fishing was very active.  Thinking of going out on Friday afternoon, but if the there's not many more fresh fish coming in, I'd rather not make the drive from Richmond.

Any of experienced Vedder fishermen have thoughts as to how many good fishing days remaining?  Thanks in advance all.

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
Re: Vedder River question
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 10:46:37 PM »

I'm no expert but this is what I've observed.
We are kind of in a void now.  Earlier fish have mostly reached hatchery.  New fish are still staged in the lower.  Mid river only have a few stragglers around.  Occasionally you'll get the stronger fresh fish push through but not a whole lot.  With more rain you'll see more fish make their way up river but by then most of the fish would not be interested in any offering.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 11:36:10 PM »

As a general rule, the Vedder season is pretty much done come November.
The abundant chum, chinook and coho are mostly done by then.

If you are not into catching dark/moldy/spawned out fish,( which I hope you are not) all you have left is few decent coho which you can hunt into December. But those require skill, patience, stubbornness and dedication. They require the kind of 'being on the flow is all that matters" kind of attitude.

If, on the other hand, numbers and catching is what matters, I suggest you stay in Richmond.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 11:38:32 PM »

I guess that's why I haven't left Richmond for awhile, good numbers here... ;D

ali2pali

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 04:24:00 PM »

Was out at the Vedder last week and it kinda supported what Milo is saying....caught a few, but nothing too fresh :(   Gonna go back soon and keep trying though!

Fish Slayer

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 08:54:54 PM »

There will still be fresh coho coming for another week or two.

fishfulthinkin

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 09:10:49 PM »

how's the trout situation after the salmon run?

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 09:16:05 PM »

I guess that's why I haven't left Richmond for awhile, good numbers here... ;D
That means they are heading our way. ;D ;D

tmilley

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 09:22:07 PM »

I've heard the Vedder is slowing down significantly.  The Chehalis sounds like it's still going strong though.

gman

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 09:33:42 PM »

Its the tail end of the season, but I'd say the next few days you should have a decent chance at a coho, and there will be lots of chum, and the odd spring still around. By mid november it gets diffiicult to catch anything.

I'm told the North side Fraser  tributaries are better this time of year, though I rarely fish them myself.

Personally I find this time of year my favourite on the Vedder. Not too many people, still some fish around.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 09:35:56 PM by gman »

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 10:06:37 PM »

I'll be making another trip out saturday morning..will be my first weekend outting in a long long time.
After my exploration and wading through many dead bodies on tuesday I'll be fishing a different section of river

gman

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 08:04:26 AM »

Are you joking? there are TONS of people still fishing the river, maybe not as many as  a week or 2 ago but still very busy especially in the lower end

Well it is the Vedder, the meatholes are always busy. I know I was out last Sunday, and caught my cohos with only one other guy in sight, and lots of room to fish - seemed good to me,  :D

Preliator

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 07:19:22 PM »

I have yet to fish the Vedder, but I always seem to read that it is always a gongshow. There are others that say if you take a hike though, you'll have no problem finding areas to fish alone. If that is the case, why do the people stack up in these few points? Is it accessibility, or just numbers of fish holding in these areas?

WestEast

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 08:25:11 PM »

If you want to "catch a fish" then the meatholes e.g. KWB will provide a high probability of success. Many of the meatholes are well known, and those that are accessible will display "gongshow" characteristics if they are easy to get to for the "catch-a-fish" folks. For those who take fishing as a sport, where catching a fish is a by-product of the activity, the meathole locations are not attractive because of the "gongshow" environment... in addition to the lack of challenge. So this category of fisherman seek out environments more conducive to what they as individuals seek out of fishing. Personally, I look for the wilderness, isolation, exploration aspects, at the expense of a sure catch at "meatholes". This usually means I MAY hook into a fish, whereas a "catch-a-fish" meatholer will have had half a dozen hooked in some way or other. We probably both would proclaim similar levels of satisfaction on the days fishing. Of course, the ultimate satisfaction is to find one's own "meathole" in isolation... at least for the first few visits. After that, I for one would get bored and move on......

mistermongz

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2010, 09:49:29 PM »

If you want to "catch a fish" then the meatholes e.g. KWB will provide a high probability of success. Many of the meatholes are well known, and those that are accessible will display "gongshow" characteristics if they are easy to get to for the "catch-a-fish" folks. For those who take fishing as a sport, where catching a fish is a by-product of the activity, the meathole locations are not attractive because of the "gongshow" environment... in addition to the lack of challenge. So this category of fisherman seek out environments more conducive to what they as individuals seek out of fishing. Personally, I look for the wilderness, isolation, exploration aspects, at the expense of a sure catch at "meatholes". This usually means I MAY hook into a fish, whereas a "catch-a-fish" meatholer will have had half a dozen hooked in some way or other. We probably both would proclaim similar levels of satisfaction on the days fishing. Of course, the ultimate satisfaction is to find one's own "meathole" in isolation... at least for the first few visits. After that, I for one would get bored and move on......

couldnt have said it better my self...
Fish on!!!