Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Which brand of hook do you use for the majority of your river fishing?

Eagle Claw
Gamakatsu
Mustad
Owner
DNE
Other

Author Topic: Which Brand of Hook Do You Use?  (Read 15602 times)

DionJL

• Old Timer
Which Brand of Hook Do You Use?
« on: October 27, 2010, 01:27:35 AM »

Just interested in finding out what the majority of members use most often for their river fishing, specifically float fishing.

metalfisherman

Re: Which Brand of Hook Do You Use?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 02:06:16 AM »

owner. size1 or 1/0

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 03:04:27 AM »

Gammis, barbless from #4-1/0.  Eagleclaw Lazersharp hooks are good too.  I've used DNE hooks for sturg and they were alright, but they aren't Gammis.  I think having sticky sharp hooks is paramount for hooking more fish.  If you've watched fish take lures baits of flies, they often spit it out in milliseconds  (much faster than you can react, even if it did cause the float to sink).  Having hooks sharp enough so that it sticks the instant the lip touches the hookpoint, before you've had time to set the hook will catch you fish that you wouldn't even know had bitten.

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 07:24:03 AM »

Gammi Reds,#4-1/0, with a quick touch of the file before it even hits the water.......always!!

Chromie

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 10:14:13 AM »

I go with gammis but i did have a pack of #2 and they were getting straightened out by springs never had that happen to me

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 10:22:23 AM »

i used to use gammies but i had all of mine straightend on fish hooked in the mouth. also including the biggest spring i have ever hooked. i now use eagle claw or mustad ultra point and i am not going back to gammies i realy prefer the eagle claw  circle hook.
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

one more cast

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 11:12:53 AM »

i used to use gammies but i had all of mine straightend on fish hooked in the mouth. also including the biggest spring i have ever hooked. i now use eagle claw or mustad ultra point and i am not going back to gammies i realy prefer the eagle claw  circle hook.

Yeah, I find gammies are the sharpest but the weakest...I'm using eagle claw lazer sharp for float fishing.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 12:34:12 PM »

I switched a while back to owner cutting points. Little more expensive but for me personally, my hooked / landed fish ratio went way up. 

lapa

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 12:52:47 PM »

owner. size 4,2, and 1. very good hooks.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 01:08:50 PM »

I dont know what you guys are doing to straighten out hooks so often. I use gammies in 4's and 1's and havent straighten any, i also use the made barbless ones which i find are "stickier"

I use Owners for steelhead though  ;) especially on my flies
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 01:37:24 PM »

I use gammies for everything, never had a problem with them. Used to use eagle claw back when I was cheap lol. Never tried owner hooks, I've only seen them for sale at fred's.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 01:44:41 PM »

my hooked / landed fish ratio went way up.  

That doesn't make sense. If you land more fish now then you did before then your Hooked/Landed ratio would go down. I think you meant your Landed/Hooked ratio. :D

I use Gami's for float-fishing, 99% of the time. Every once and a while I will pick up a pack of Owner cutting point, but they are a little pricey for my liking. I do use Owners for sturgeon fishing now though. They are the toughest hooks I've ever used. And for my spoon hooks I use the Mustad UPs like ChromeKings.

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 02:09:35 PM »

Straightening out gamigatsu hooks is not easy at all.  I have tried to bend them inwards before with a vice and pliers to avoid snagging fish and that is very difficult to do with any name brand hook.

To straighten them out consistently on fish hooked in the mouth boggles my mind.  ???

I can bring a chum in with my cheap pliable jig hooks if i'm not to aggressive fighting the fish.  These are hooks I can bend with my fingers.

Also for a hook to be straightened generally just the point of the hook is in a fish, tree, or other snag.  If the hook is set properly in the fish down to the bend of the hook I don't really see any chance of a straightened out hook, especially on a quality hook.

To sum it up I am confused how people are bending these hooks.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2010, 02:25:29 PM »

okay i do use Gammy fly hooks for some of my patterns for pinks and coho and while they have never straightened them out anything of better size sure as hell will, not always but it happens alot.

Hook - would like to see Gamakatsu use a heavy gauge wire for their fly hooks
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

ericd

« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2010, 02:41:08 PM »

I had a red #1 gammi that got bent in the mouth of a big spring. That's how he got away!