Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, October 27th 2010  (Read 2541 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, October 27th 2010
« on: October 27, 2010, 07:47:49 PM »

After spending 7 days with Alexandra Morton on her Paddle for Wild Salmon I was anxious to get back to the flow today.

I tried to get to the river at first light but that did not happen due to the always present e mails to deal with, I arrived at the Chum Run about an hour late. ::) It was a bit nippy and it gave me an indication the steelhead season is just around the corner.

3 chaps were working the run and one got real excited when one of them hooked a chum.;D  ???

I decided to slip down to the Soccer Field leaving the Chum Run and I was amazed as I had several takes before I landed a hatchery coho jack. ( that is ready to eat as I type this report) A few more bites before I lost another jack, near the shore. The bite then ended as quickly as it started and I then wished I had been there at first light as there could have been more action, maybe an adult even.

I also tried in the canal area near dark but was just bothered by smolts but one bite may have been a bigger fish. Saw some fish jumping with most being chum. A nice float was picked up as I waded to shore as another day ended.

Tomorrow the soccer field will be visited, at first light. ;D ;D

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
Re: Chilliwack River, October 27th 2010
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 12:35:01 AM »

The soccer field? Where the hell are you fishing? You got to tell how you came up with that one. ;D
The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 05:49:37 AM »

The soccer field? Where the hell are you fishing? You got to tell how you came up with that one. ;D
Ask Rodney. ;D ;D

mistermongz

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 10:09:15 AM »

Fished a few runs yesterday as well nothing to show for until the last few hrs and me and buddy switched to our fly rods.  Then Bam fish on. played him a bit and a chum thats starting to show its colors got him in a few pics and back in the water.   ;D so happy my first Salmon on the fly!!! had another one on but he unbuttoned himself not too bad of a day. Yes it was cold. cant wait for steelhead season it will be my first so im looking forward to it.
Fish on!!!

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 05:33:34 PM »

Fished a few runs yesterday as well nothing to show for until the last few hrs and me and buddy switched to our fly rods.  Then Bam fish on. played him a bit and a chum thats starting to show its colors got him in a few pics and back in the water.   ;D so happy my first Salmon on the fly!!! had another one on but he unbuttoned himself not too bad of a day. Yes it was cold. cant wait for steelhead season it will be my first so im looking forward to it.

me2 mistermongz, this steelhead season im only gonna use the Fly Rod, it will only be my 2nd year steelheading and last year i only got out 3-4 times with the gear rod, nothing.  But this year, im gonna get out alot more hopefully and can hook me first steelhead ever  :D

P.s mistermongz, its alot colder during steelhead season  ;)

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 06:04:39 PM »

:D I know i should try and get one on gear first but i want a challange  ;D

mistermongz

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 06:45:55 PM »

me2 mistermongz, this steelhead season im only gonna use the Fly Rod, it will only be my 2nd year steelheading and last year i only got out 3-4 times with the gear rod, nothing.  But this year, im gonna get out alot more hopefully and can hook me first steelhead ever  :D

P.s mistermongz, its alot colder during steelhead season  ;)
:D :D yes yes it will be but i know i will be like all others that will brave the cold to try and fight these magnificent fish on gear or fly...
Fish on!!!

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 10:19:38 PM »

:D :D yes yes it will be but i know i will be like all others that will brave the cold to try and fight these magnificent fish on gear or fly...

i went one year with the fly rod and hooked two you just have to be very very very persistant
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

Spiznack

• Dominion Lending Centres Alta Pacific Mortgages
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 11:04:29 AM »

So gear wasn't challenging? That doesn't really make sense. Good luck though, youre gonna need it

Hilliarious!!!  Seriously.  Steelhead fishing is nothing like Salmon fishing.  Fin and Chromekings are right.  Get a few on gear first otherwise you will spend countless hours flogging the water with your fly rod with no success which will get discouraging.  They don't call it "the fish of ten thousand casts" for nothing! (and I don't mean false casts! LOL)
For Mortgage advice call Carlos @ 778-846-2567

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 04:10:37 PM »

I spent my first three seasons on the fly with only one brief hookup.
I switched to gear (own tied jigs, not roe - I'm not a heathen) and got a wild doe on my first trip plus went 4 for 5 during 8 trips last winter.
I still don't have the confidence to switch back to fly for the early season, but I'm happy to give it a try after it warms up.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 05:18:45 PM »

Good luck....if you couldn't get 1 on gear it will be a lot harder on the fly, these fish aren't as aggressive as the summers. Best suggestion.....get used to hooking them on gear before you try the fly.

Good luck though.

Hunt with gear then return with fly.

It`s hard enough getting them with gear `till you know where to look.
You could get lucky but it`ll be a little colder this year I think.
(I took a girl out with a spinning rod and she got a 15lb steely.  Biggest fish she`d ever caught, first time on the river)
Plus, it`s harder to cast with the extra clothing you`ll have to wear.
But heck,  advice is something often given but rarely taken.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 06:57:02 PM »

But heck,  advice is something often given but rarely taken.
that is so true...
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 08:09:53 PM »

lol, i like all the advice, but fishing is not about just catching fish, for me its about getting out on the river for a day or two.  Yea, i might be wasting me time with the fly rod, but an old fisherman taught me something, " if you fish the same river/lake, eventually you will get a bite, it may take hours, it may take years, but eventually you will"  and i respect all you guys saying that i should try with gear first and than go fly but i dont wanna catch my first steelhead in a couple trips, i wanna make it worth while, i wanna work for the fish of a lifetime.  If you dont agree with me than thats fine, thats your opinion, im not gonna judge it, but this is something i wanna do

Cheers - Blackgivesway2blue

azafai

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 08:34:41 PM »

yes, that is right!
obviously some still need the advice that fishing is not only about catching.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 08:39:57 PM »

I should have started this thread, I got my first steelhead on the fly today. ;D ;D ;D