Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis River map  (Read 18542 times)

Morty

Chehalis River map
« on: October 31, 2010, 09:25:28 PM »

Anyone know of a source for a somewhat current, nearly accurate map of the Chehalis River?
"What are YOU going to DO about the salmon crisis?"

Fish Slayer

Re: Chehalis River map
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 10:37:11 PM »

There's a map company out there with one, I believe the company is called "One foot step after another"  :-\

Morty

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 10:56:49 PM »

Went in there.  Spent quite a bit of time but it seems you need their GPS system to be able to tell where you are and how you got there.  I was hoping they had a paper version.

Preliator

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 06:12:47 PM »

It's annoying. I was doing some bushwacking away from the crowds and nearly had gotten myself lost. The navigation on my iPhone wasn't updated and of much use. Thankfully it is equipped with a compass, and so is my vest.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2010, 06:48:43 PM »

That is one dangerous river and not for the faint of heart. I was given a tour of all the holes on that river two years ago by a man with forty years of steelheading in on the river. Some of the spots he showed me, made me think he had a death wish. He further told me a time when his son had a thirty foot fall and got off easy with three broken ribs and a dislocated shoulder (in my mind, with all the quality fisheries in this province, no fish is worth that). As for maps of that river; never heard of one.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 08:55:35 PM »

Try using Google earth. It usually works for me  ;D

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

bcguy

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 02:43:54 PM »

Oh come on now, its not that hard to navigate, just be aware of which side of you the river is on, what did people do before GPS navigation :P
There is a little more bush wacking since it changed course (thats a good thing, keeps out the fairweather fisherman), but I think I would be more fearful of the huge bears in the area, then getting lost.
I dont know about google earth, but the problem with google maps is the delay. If you were to look at the Chehalis River, it still shows water going through the old channel....fishing might be a tad bit slow right now in that section... ;)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 04:35:36 PM by bcguy »
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

Preliator

« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 07:29:34 PM »

Very true, I have heard stories about the bears, and have seen the prints that have been produced. I've been thinking of equipping myself with bear mace. Would this be practical?

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 09:35:19 PM »

Don't forget about them Sasquatches, They are big mean buggers. ;D

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 09:39:16 PM »

Very true, I have heard stories about the bears, and have seen the prints that have been produced. I've been thinking of equipping myself with bear mace. Would this be practical?
definately worth carrying, just attach a canister to your wading belt or put it in your vest. Best to be safe than sorry.

bcguy

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 02:41:38 PM »

Or have a friend thats a touch slower on the foot than your self... ;D
"It seems clear beyond the possibility of argument that any given generation of men can have only a lease, not ownership, of the earth; and one essential term of the lease is that the earth be handed on to the next generation with unimpaired potentialities. This is the conservationist's concern"-RHB

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 03:56:34 PM »

Another reason to get yourself a pair of Nike wading boots. ;)
The Bigger The Better!

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2010, 05:04:40 AM »

Don't forget about them Sasquatches, They are big mean buggers. ;D

Are they catch and release? What weight leader do you prefer? Hook size?
http://

Morty

« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2010, 01:14:06 PM »

Thanks Guys.

Yes, time delay is a problem with Google earth.  Many of their images are 2 to 4 years old and our rivers here change somewhat every Spring and Fall with a big rain.  "Climate Change" seems to be really speeding this up - when I was in high school they taught us that it took "hundreds of years" for rivers to slowly change their course.

t-bone

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2010, 09:13:29 AM »

wild rivers such as chehalis and vedder change so much google couldn't keep up with the changes.