Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: green timbers  (Read 4256 times)

fishgutz63

green timbers
« on: November 06, 2010, 08:17:55 PM »

was out at green timbers today with my fly rod caught 4 nice fat trout released them :),i couldnt help notice 4 young teenages also with fly rods .one of them was very good with his fly rod ,so he took some time to give pointers to his buddies and help them with their casting .it was sure nice to see these young guys getting interested early in a life long hobbie and not out causing trouble.to those 4 teenagers tight lines and keep smiling looks like y'all were having too much fun. 8)

Blackgivesway2blue

Re: green timbers
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 08:50:19 PM »

Hey, nice to met you, i am one of the 4 teeneagers.  I was the one with the green floating line, the one with the good cast giveing pointers to my buddy's :D we tried until four today but didnt get any, but oh well, at least i was out fishing  ;D and thanks for the complement, i was there last weekend too, i caught 9 in total.  Next time you see me, come by and say Hi ;D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 09:08:47 PM by Blackgivesway2blue »

coho13

• fish forever and forever fish
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 09:14:13 PM »

hey im also 1 of thoughs teenagers tight lines to ya ;D ;D :D :)

mistermongz

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 09:41:49 PM »

was out at green timbers today with my fly rod caught 4 nice fat trout released them :),i couldnt help notice 4 young teenages also with fly rods .one of them was very good with his fly rod ,so he took some time to give pointers to his buddies and help them with their casting .it was sure nice to see these young guys getting interested early in a life long hobbie and not out causing trouble.to those 4 teenagers tight lines and keep smiling looks like y'all were having too much fun. 8)

what pattern was working for ya on there?
Fish on!!!

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 09:43:00 PM »

BlackBlue - have you tried using chironies under and indicator ?? pellet fed fish like lazy food and are always looking up to the surface for their meals.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 09:49:29 PM »

i was using a couple different types of woolly buggers, black, olive, red, etc.

HOOK - i have tried a couple times, but i cant get the hang of it. ive been hopeing to run into you, and give me some pointers on it, cause im unsure what pattern to use, depth, etc. i just dont really have the patience for it  :-[

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 10:27:13 PM »

I guess your in school during weekdays arent you ? I only ask because im back to working nights again and only have free time before 2pm  :( I havent actually fished Timbers much this year for some reason, hit Lafarge a bunch of times and again last week with 30+ to hand and tons lost/missed between my two usual patterns  ;D

I do remember putting up my black, red ribbed, copper beadhead pattern up. this is my go to locally and has always pulled fish for me. I hang it anywhere between 3 and 4 feet deep and yes even when im in 21 feet of water in Lafarge, like i said these fish look up for food all day long  ;)

my dad tried 6 feet for a bit and got 1 fish last sunday while i pulled 4 in the same amount of time, this was when we first hit the water. All 4 of us were fishing 3 1/2 - 4feet and slaying fish all day long

my other pattern garnishes a bit of material from womens clothes which seems to be the key to it for some reason  ??? I have dubbed it the Bra Strap Green, it only gets shared personally though because it also produces well in the interior and, well i have to keep something for myself dont i LOL
Check out our new blog

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2010, 10:43:48 PM »

thats kind of an interesting pattern hook LOL  :P and yea im in school during weekdays, im an A honor roll student, i would like to skip maybe one day, cause i go to school fairly close too there, but wanna keep up the grades  ;D ill have to buy some copper beads to tie up that other pattern though, all i got are silver beads.  :)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2010, 11:11:42 PM »

most of my chironies are ties with BLACK beads and antron gills or with plain white beads. I only use white beads in dark nutrient rich lakes though as to have my pattern stand out more in the darker coloured water  ;) I usually have all my patterns tied in both in all the sizes i regularly use.

here is my Green Timber fly once again, make sure you add a red butt to the fly with the tying thread as it seems to be the key because once it frays or has been forgotten it doesnt catch as many. I have even cut it off during good bite days when its frayed and not gotten another sniff, put another one on and bang right away fish again  ???

Hook - i use a 2499SPBL Tiemco size 14. you can use any size 14 scud hook
Bead - matched to the hook size (3/32") is what i use COPPER
Thread - Uni 6/0 RED
Body - Black Flashabou
Ribbing - RED X-small wire
I coat mine with brushable Loctite so they can last through tons of fish.I have caught over 100 on one fly before  ;D
Check out our new blog

Blackgivesway2blue

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2010, 11:35:19 PM »

Alright, Thanks HOOK, ill tie up a few, and try it out next time i am out, hopefully it works as well as you say it does  :P  ;D

distanc3

« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 02:14:44 AM »

I'm just getting into fly fishing as well, is green timber a good place to start fly fishing/practice?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 05:15:54 AM »

just watch out for people walking behind you on the walking path !!!!!!!

no problem Black, just vary your depth and be patient  ;)
Check out our new blog

ricer

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 09:06:47 AM »

Lafarge is fun in a float tube!
we use pheasant tails and micro leeches 2 - 4 feet under the indicator but you have to find the fish.  they are usually schooled up.  when you see a rise cast to it.  if nothing bites in a minute cast again to another area.  they usually attack it as it sinks and soon after.  the other key is to go a couple days after they are stocked.  wait a week or two and the fishing really slows down.

distanc3

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 12:27:56 PM »

what kinda flies are you guys using? Any recommendations for trouts?  ;)

marmot

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 02:25:26 PM »

Those pellet fed trout are lazy.  Suspend any kind of chironomid under an indicator and you will get fish.  If my 3 year old can do it, you can too.