Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chehalis River, November 8th 2010  (Read 3514 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chehalis River, November 8th 2010
« on: November 09, 2010, 06:38:33 PM »

I decided to hit the Chehalis at first light and head to the run of last weeks success. Tried there for a bit with the height a tad lower than it was last week but I think it was still in excellent conditions.

With no bites I headed down to explore the "Fisherman's Trail" and I try a few runs on the way down, I found the trail a nice walk but in most cases it is too far from the river although anglers have made rough trails to some of the runs. Those that made the trails would have made it more user friendly by making side trails to the river, I guess they did not have funds to do that. I also found that near the end of the trail all the bridges they had had built have been washed out but you are able to be waded at the present water levels. A lot of anglers were fishing on the other side of the flow and were having some success with the coho, noticed some people as well were TOW ing. I missed a couple of fish, maybe were chum as I saw some laying in the part of the run I was fishing. I did pick up two nice sculpins all of an inch long each. ;D ;D They actually were both hanging onto the roe at the same time while I was cutting a new bait. ;D

With the rain pouring down I decided to head back the trail and go for breakfast at the Sand Piper golf course. On the way I met up with Gwyn and he joins me at the River's Edge restaurant that is at the course. Gwyn had taken a nice coho, at another part of the river. The restaurant is situated at a lovely setting near the Harrison River and we settle in, next to the fire as we have our food as well as warm up. Besides being a wet day it is cool and the snow level is down the mountains a bit.

After we have completed our meal I decide to head back to the river, the rain is still pouring down and I see looking to the other side of the Valley it looks clear. I think about heading that way to try for cutthroat but I decide to keep at it and try the run where I started the day but the results are the same. I slug my way back to the Leaf Mobile as the now early darkness  set in, fishless, cold, wet and a bit dejected but as they say its a better a better day to go fishing than working. Working I have not done that since 1998 and do not plan to go back to it either, fishing is a lot better, isn't it ?  ;D

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Chehalis River, November 8th 2010
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 09:32:50 PM »

A trip to the Chehalis isn't complete without a visit to the Sasquatch Inn and Pub. Their "Legendary Burger" is just that.......Legen....wait for it.........Dary!!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 09:59:33 PM »

A trip to the Chehalis isn't complete without a visit to the Sasquatch Inn and Pub. Their "Legendary Burger" is just that.......Legen....wait for it.........Dary!!!
Been there too, my second choice though.

Mike D.

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 09:52:43 PM »

Ahhh i figured i saw u chris! I was on the other side short floating....watching lots of people flossing coho...and dragging wilds 10 feet up the bank before the release....not pretty at all!!!!

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 03:37:04 PM »

pretty sad to see the degenerates flossing on that beautiful stream, i have fished that system twice and cant wait to return to its pristine surroundings, great report guys, quick question, i know there are some big bears in the area, has there been any sightings of the sasquatch? take it easy and tight lines..
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2010, 03:52:02 PM »

pretty sad to see the degenerates flossing on that beautiful stream, i have fished that system twice and cant wait to return to its pristine surroundings, great report guys, quick question, i know there are some big bears in the area, has there been any sightings of the sasquatch? take it easy and tight lines..
Don't worry about the sasquatch or the bears as I have only seen them pack away or eat TOW ers. ;D ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 03:55:05 PM »

Ahhh i figured i saw u chris! I was on the other side short floating....watching lots of people flossing coho...and dragging wilds 10 feet up the bank before the release....not pretty at all!!!!
Saw that one guy drag that fish up on the beach, was eneough to send me on my way. I have told others about doing this a few times and they say "Thought it was a hatchery". ??? ::)

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2010, 08:58:48 AM »

i fished the canyon back in the early 90's for coho........haven't been back up there since i heard "it " bellowing higher up in the canyon. that was enough for me to pack it up and head back down the trail towards the car. the fishing was good that day and the scenery is gorgeous...but i ain't fishing the canyon anymore.  :(  back then peach and red wool under a float would get the coho to bite. the odd boot spring would make it up as well but i don't know about now. i think in the next few days the temperture is going to drop big time near freezing above the hatchery. good luck

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2010, 07:44:21 AM »

Headed out Thursday AM and headed way down past the Healing Center down to a few holes . Seen quite a few coho moving up river . Most the coho were darkened up with the odd clean one going by . We stopped and tried a spot that looked promising with coho on the move through . Started using roe , pro cured then natural but the coho were not interested at all . We put the bait right in front of them and they swam around it . Anyway , we changed set ups to jensen egg , then a few different combos of wool but nadda sniff . We ended up throwing on a couple of Bent Rods jigs in colors purple /pink  , and orange /green and for some reason the just slammed those jigs . Anyway , most of the coho were all dark so we new that this was about it for this system for the year . We decided to take a tour of the hatchery . Wow lots of coho in the channel , dark mind you but pretty cool . They have a couple holding tanks full of Rainbow They told us that this government funded restocking program from the Chehailis Hatchery would be the last for Rainbow Trout . Lots of Steelhead smolts and  Coho in the tanks to . Was a good day to out on the flow , It  started to snow . We ended up checking out the Norrish for something else to do on the way back to Cloverdale and there were not a sole around with the blowing snow by this time , no fish when we hiked up from the rail bridge  .  As we were losing daylight we called it a day . Kinda smelt like Steelhead was in the air with all that snow hitting the ground .
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 07:52:06 AM by armytruck »
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Novabonker

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2010, 09:19:12 AM »

Been there too, my second choice though.

Does Michael's still do the weekend smorg? I used to go there and eat my body weight in bacon. The clam chowder there is yummy.
http://

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2010, 09:21:34 AM »

Does Michael's still do the weekend smorg? I used to go there and eat my body weight in bacon. The clam chowder there is yummy.

They do but it is not as good as it used to be. New owners took over a few years ago.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2010, 01:29:06 PM »

I also just noticed today that its got a new ish name, now if only i could remember what it said LOL  ::)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/