Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2010/11 Chilliwack River steelhead fishery information & water condition updates  (Read 226570 times)

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer

that spun out did you have any weight in the back of your vehicle a couple of allan blocks does make a difference i have a pickup and ive spun out going 40 K around an icy corner i hope your okay must have been quite an experience one for the books

BE CAREFUL OUT THERE

Just a warning for all you Vancouver (or elsewhere) folks who think: because you have SNOW tires on you'll be OK.
I've done the Tokyo drift with STUDDED snows and have even come close to having to change my underwear when I had chains on.
ICE is not snow, go slow when you're unsure and never be sure.

Wieght in the back will help for traction particularily in the snow but ICE is a different creature.

There's a bunch of folk who live in the area, fish it, drive it all the time who may know the route well enough to know the slick spots but you don't have to keep up.
And for all the faster folks: give the slow, new to the road guy/s some room.
If they're going way to slow; flash 'em, don't crowd 'em.
The only thing worse than a nervous, paranoid driver is one who's pushed beyond thier comfort zone.

Give yourself some extra time and drive with caution.

Also the forecast for Vancouver is snow in the afternoon on Saturday.
NOTE: Chilliwack may recieve snow sooner, check the forecast.

Goodluck, see ya out there.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 02:02:55 PM by Fish or cut bait. »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer

Good advice. Unfortunately too many people don't use due care on the roads.

drh

The roads were fine today,but the edge of river is ice ,about a foot up the bank in some places.I was trying to land a fish mid river today and took a dive into about a foot deep along the edge.I jumped out as fast as I fell in and the Guy beside me asks if I'm okay ::).
I landed the Hatch doe and was more than happy to Quit before noon for a change
The winds were blowing hard and cold down the valley ,even mid river today and water is getting lower every day,Clarity is perfect with just a tinge of glacial grey 4 or 5 feet of vis
Was glad I remembered my pull over the fingertip gloves today cause exposed skin got numb fast

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Snow now falling tonight. Watch for possible freezing rain tomorrow.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

A few inches on the ground this morning and still snowing.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

4 inches and still snowing in chilliwack :o

wonder

guess i gotta wait till next weekend  :-\

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

Snow has stopped a while ago and is getting slushy now.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod

I guess this is now the Chilliwack snow and road report. ;D

BNF861

• Old Timer

Gotta know if you can get to the river first, otherwise who cares about water conditions  ;D

azafai

I guess this is now the Chilliwack snow and road report. ;D

but it is still good and nice.

mr.p

Useful for road conditions early morning....  http://www.drivebc.ca
Use the cams along HWY 1.  Usually if you don't see any concrete, its gonna be a long slow and dangerous drive.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

Danube Boy

^ Thanks for that link mr.p, and it was nice meeting you on the flow yesterday. Although I prefer a little color, fishing yesterday and seeing the river running clear for the first time in a long time was sure nice for a change. Hopefully temps will stay relatively low alowing the snow to melt gradually without creating a mess of the river once again.

GENERAL-SHERMAN

^ Thanks for that link mr.p, and it was nice meeting you on the flow yesterday. Although I prefer a little color, fishing yesterday and seeing the river running clear for the first time in a long time was sure nice for a change. Hopefully temps will stay relatively low alowing the snow to melt gradually without creating a mess of the river once again.

I hope the river turns brown for a little while again! spread out some fish.

mr.p

Good to meet you too.  Some colour is ideal, too clear for my liking yesterday.  Although the clear water was very educational in terms of seeing structure and such.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...