Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: line twist problem  (Read 2775 times)

camtheman

line twist problem
« on: December 13, 2010, 09:26:43 PM »

My little abu cardinal 100 ui likes to twist whatever line i put on it fishing everything with a chain swivel
what could be causing this and what can I do about it?

armytruck

• Old Timer
Re: line twist problem
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 09:33:49 PM »

I'm assuming you have checked all the guides on your fishing rod for ware ? . Or have you looked at your reel to see if the guide through to your spool is warn or missing ? . Just a thought
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 09:48:09 PM »

What are you using for bait? i had same problem when i fished mini spin n glo`s right on the leader.
[

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 09:30:49 AM »

--light line light swivels... bead chain may have to much resistance to stop line twist.
--try a micro swivel.. often used by centerpin guys.
--I use  Raven ultra Micro... www.raventackle.com  from  www.centerpinangling.com  maybe not the brand but this type of swivel would be available at your local shops.
--I recently got a package of invisaswivel from www.aquateko.com also available at Cabelas canada... haven't tried them yet but they feel like they would work... these area made of fluorocarbon so virtually no weight but larger size than the metal micro swivels.

--other thing is to check the reel if it doesn't have a roller bail might have to go with a more expensive reel.
--having drag set to loose and winding with some slipage will cause twist.

--If still getting twist might have to try a small in line rudder to give enough resistance for the swivels to work.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 01:44:38 PM »

spinning reels and line twist go hand in hand.  ditch the spinning reel for a small levelwind if you can.

camtheman

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2010, 08:46:26 PM »

thanks peoples

brysonk

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2010, 05:51:22 AM »

When you spool it are you laying the spool flat on the floor or are you using some sort stick to spin the spool? If laying it on the floor after the first 8  or so cranks if you have any twists coming off the spool flip it over on the floor and continue. I had the same problem. Best to use the stick and have someone hold it.