Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Looking at a new drift rod, thoughts?  (Read 10940 times)

Nitroholic

Looking at a new drift rod, thoughts?
« on: December 14, 2010, 02:45:14 PM »

Looking to buy either a loomis 1263 gl3 or have a custom rainshadow XST1263F built by stryker.  I know the loomis rod is pretty popular but does anyone have any experience with that particular rainshadow? Rod will be matched up with a curado 201.

norm_2

Re: Looking at a new drift rod, thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 04:29:13 PM »

Nitroholic, I have that Loomis bought in January.  Please look for my email to your gmail.

Dogbreath

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 08:12:20 PM »

I've got a Loomis 1263 gl3 almost new gathering dust here shoot me an email if you're  interested.

hardnosethehighway@gmail.com

Chromie

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 06:41:27 AM »

I think it all depends on you ... i have a loomis and i didnt like the feel of the cork or the plain look on it so i just got the butt cap replaced and the cork sanded down to full wells. I like to for bigger systems.. have no problems with it.

F33shFr33k

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 12:20:58 AM »

Bought the Gl3 in September. I'm hoping to try her out on Boxing day..

n8

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 12:47:14 AM »

GL3 all the way!! also think about the warranty... if u break a loomis, u get a whole new rod. break the rainshadow and u'll just get a blank... it'll cost extra to have the rod built again. also remember that the new Loomis Xpeditor service is hella good.

Chromie

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2010, 06:31:47 AM »

the loomis service is ok its not the greatest and its not free its a $75 (i believe) fee ... i broke two rods in the past and took awhile to get one back 

Bently

• Old Timer
  • fish eyes love my ties
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 09:15:44 AM »

I picked up a Fenwyck 10' 6" {trigger} for $80 at Berry's and it works just fine. Just as good as some of the top brands IMO. Does the job quite well too.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2010, 07:02:34 PM »

I picked up a Fenwyck 10' 6" {trigger} for $80 at Berry's and it works just fine. Just as good as some of the top brands IMO. Does the job quite well too.

I'm on board with Bently.  High-end fly rods cast better and are more sensitive, I can understand getting an expensive bottom bouncing (the short leader, American river style) rod for the sensitivity, but float fishing in reality requires little sensitivity or a precise action and a cheap blank will do just as well IMO.   Most river fishing is done with a float, and the takes are all visual.  For float gear, spend money on the reel and buy a cheap rod, sort of the opposite of fly fishing for anything under 5lbs where the reel doesn't matter but the rod is pretty important.

If it were me, I'd save the money to put towards something else and buy a Fenwick HMX, Shimano Convergence, Berkley Canadian Special, or TrophyXL.

I've fished with higher end drift rods belonging to friends, never felt the advantage.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 12:08:08 AM by Matt »

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2010, 07:33:59 PM »

I'm on board with Bently.  High-end fly rods cast better and are more sensitive, I can understand getting an expensive bottom bouncing (the short leader, American river style) rod for the sensitivity, but float fishing in reality requires little sensitivity or a precise action and a cheap blank will do just as well IMO.   Most river fishing is done with a float, and the takes are all visual.  For float gear, spend money on the reel and buy a cheap rod, sort of the opposite of fly fishing for anything under 5lbs where the reel doesn't matter but the rod is pretty important.

If it were me, I'd save the money to put towards something else and buy a Fenwick HMX, Shimano Convergence, Berkley Canadian Special, or TrophyXL.
Agreed.I fish a Shimano Convergence and a Fenwick HMX,best bang for the buck! Dont need no fancy high priced drift rod to catch fish. ;)

purpleperil

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2010, 09:51:37 PM »

I sent my broken 1263 GL3 back to Loomis through Nikka, 9 weeks ago  and I'm still waiting.

lapa

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2010, 06:57:47 AM »

I sent my broken 1263 GL3 back to Loomis through Nikka, 9 weeks ago  and I'm still waiting.
I got my back in 4 weeks but it was 2 years ago. I will go with Loomis instead of buying Shimano.  It is like drive Ford or BMW. You can get from A to B using Ford but it doesn't mean you will get the same enjoyment.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 07:04:57 AM by lapa »

FlyFishin Magician

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2010, 08:23:54 AM »

Probably not telling you anything new but....

First off, buy a decent rod which will start off at around 100 dollars.  Stay away from the big store combos where you can get the rod and reel for 100 dollars.  All of the rods mentioned so far, like the Shimano Convergence, Fenwick HMX, Trophy XL are all decent rods.  I've got a Trohpy myself and it's fine.  I recall that Shimano is now offering a "lifetime limited" warranty.  In other words, if you don't abuse the rod, it should last you a lifetime.

Now - a bit of a higher end rod will be around 250 - 300 dollars.  These will be your G Loomis and Lamiglas rods (for example).  I have a Looms GL2 STR 1264 and its a fine rod.  I think it retails for around 275 - 300 dollars.  You'll get a warranty with it, which some guys have mentioned already.  These rods will be nicer to cast and hold all day long.

I recently picked up a Sage 2106 and it rocks!  Has my catch increaed?  No.  I can catch just as many fish with the Trophy.  However, the Sage is much more enjoyable to use all day long.  It's finished beautifully, and it's very sensitive.  Plus, it's a factory rod so if it breaks, it gets replaced without me having get it rebuilt.  I think the Loomis GL3 rods will be simliar in performance and quality.  I haven't tried a Rainshadow, but you already know the risk of getting a custom rod (if it breaks).

I guess I'm recommending to go with what works best for you.  I don't think you can go wrong either way.  If you're looking for a higher end rod, the benefits will be there - maybe not in catch rates but in pure enjoyment.   :)

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2010, 08:34:59 AM »

i have heard that the temple fork rods are similar to sage rods, any truth to this?
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2010, 03:58:00 PM »

--Lefty Kreh... former sage designer helped develop the lefty kreh signature series for temple fork but that doesn't make them a sage..
--some of the temple fork models are very good value and have been a good company to deal with.
--Lefty Kreh is one of the better fly casters of all time so I think he could cast a broom stick and make me look bad with a top of the line rod.