Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Lake Ontario Tributaries  (Read 1415 times)

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
Lake Ontario Tributaries
« on: December 15, 2010, 01:23:27 PM »

Hi to ya'll west coasters :)
I've moved to Buffalo since last January - yes shivering cold - and I've been nothing but enjoying the great salmon, steelhead, trout, and walleye fishery down here.

Fish are large and plenty down here!  I have managed to catch 4 steelheads since end of November.  My first ever steelheads.  I had fished for steelheads a few times in Chilliwack, but with no luck.  I know I was a bit more novice back then than I'm now and that might have had something to do with it. 
Here I feel like one of the pros :)  When I landed a nice doe last weekend, couple of the older, more experienced fellas came over to find out what I'm using for bait. 
Sure enough I was using my west coast peach wool egg pattern and they were amazed by it.  Here only the fly fishermen use those wool, the rest of the guys use cured roes (which they call skein).  I said roe one day, and the fisherman had a blank look on his face :D  But I'm in US so that might be the reason for a blank face ;)
According to locals, the steelhead fishing is going to be strong all the way to April.  So if any of you are planning a trip eastwards, let me know and I can give you some tips to get you started.

I missed Capilano, Chilliwack, Chahilas and other nice rivers around the Vancouver.
Oh, by the way if you hear a Buffolonia talk about a "creek" don't expect a tinny little stream...they mean "river".   :D

Tight lines and strong knots!

SM
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

wizard

Re: Lake Ontario Tributaries
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2010, 02:39:45 PM »

cool spring master! congrats on your success over there.  seems like there is a real diverse fishery 'round there.  I see they got some huge smallies in the niagra as well as pretty much every other sport fish from lakers to spring salmon.

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2010, 03:51:41 PM »

--Funny must be a USA thing as I bought single fuzzy egg patterns from Centerpin Angling in Ontario

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2010, 11:24:53 PM »

one day i will be fortunate enough to cast my lines in those waters, great post and im sure the pictures are on the way of the picturesque scenery..
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!