Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, December 21st 2010  (Read 5322 times)

coho killer

Chilliwack River, December 21st 2010
« on: December 21, 2010, 04:28:36 PM »

Well I got out for the first time this season yeaterday afternoon. It was very windy, and for whatever reason my pin didn't want to spin fast enough to get where I wanted. Got to the river at about 7:45 this morning, and for whatever reason my pin was spinning to fast this time, getting loose line almost every cast :( So frustrated I decided to go home have a bite to eat and relax. Decided to head out again about 2:30, finally me and my pin were back in sync. About 50 casts later landed a beautiful 12pld hatch male. As for the fight and the way I caught it, I don't remember as the adrenaline was flowing hard. Moral of the whole day, even noobs can catch steelhead :P

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, December 21st 2010
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2010, 04:50:56 PM »

I was out today as well. Got to the river moments after first light and it wasn't long before I was blessed with my first of the season. It was a gorgeous 8 lb. Wild doe. The rest of the day produced little for me and my buddy.

fishbuster

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2010, 05:40:10 PM »

Was out today, started around 9 and fished till 4.  I saw 1 fish caught.  Not a touch for me or my friend.  Timings everything with these fish.  River is in great shape.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2010, 05:43:34 PM »

Spent the afternoon fishing some nice water but with no success. I guess the early birds caught them all. ;D ;D

It certainly was a lovely day out there for the first day of winter.

deepcovehooker

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2010, 08:18:45 PM »

Got out there late as we hit the traffic at 264th.  Had to leave early to get back to North Van.  Only fishede about 3 hours. 

Stopped at Fred's on the way in and saw two fish come in in about 5 minutes.  Built up expectations that were not met.  Fished two runs using roe bags, wool, jigs and spinners but no action except one small trout on the roe.  Oh well next time!

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2010, 11:07:58 PM »

Got out there late as we hit the traffic at 264th.  Had to leave early to get back to North Van.  Only fishede about 3 hours. 

Stopped at Fred's on the way in and saw two fish come in in about 5 minutes.  Built up expectations that were not met.  Fished two runs using roe bags, wool, jigs and spinners but no action except one small trout on the roe.  Oh well next time!

Man 2 runs? Thats why you didn't get any lol.
Me and a buddy fished probably close to 12 km's of water today  :o
I landed a 14-15 pnd wild buck and he got a beauty res bow around 3 pnds. Saw one other 8 pnd wild doe caught by the only 2 guys we saw all day.
5 steelies hooked up in 4 trips for me so far  ;D

Fish Slayer

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 12:03:12 AM »

Man 2 runs? Thats why you didn't get any lol.
Me and a buddy fished probably close to 12 km's of water today  :o
I landed a 14-15 pnd wild buck and he got a beauty res bow around 3 pnds. Saw one other 8 pnd wild doe caught by the only 2 guys we saw all day.
5 steelies hooked up in 4 trips for me so far  ;D

12 kms :o :o :o you fished nearly have the river that is open to fishing! I wonder how many fish you passed due to covering water too fast or should I say lack of covering water lol

chromer

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 08:17:39 AM »

My first time out as well Dec 21. Got to the river around noon. Hooked a beauty a short time later in a tail out. She must have cleared the water 3' and then spat the hook...............doh. I guess I ddn't hit her hard enough. Fished a couple more runs but found no love. River is in primo shape.

deepcovehooker

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 09:14:48 AM »

Yes we only fished two runs but they were both long runs taking some time to cover anywhere fish might be holding. 

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 12:25:23 PM »

12 kms :o :o :o you fished nearly have the river that is open to fishing! I wonder how many fish you passed due to covering water too fast or should I say lack of covering water lol

Pretty much the whole upper lol  ;D
There were 2 of us each fishing something different. I would say we didn't do too bad covering it (from past years experience).
Much less water for the fish to hold in when it is this high and fast...

PS... all 5 of my fish have been behind 2 or more people so I'm doing something right  ;)

poper

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 06:16:11 PM »

You must be a speed walker.

mike123

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2010, 06:36:03 PM »

I dont think he's a speed walker, just sounds like hes got the Fisherman story telling bug.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2010, 08:41:06 PM »

well if you fish a river every day...

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2010, 08:55:00 PM »

I dont think he's a speed walker, just sounds like hes got the Fisherman story telling bug.

I have videos  :P But then I would have swarms of internet fisherman trying to floss out the couple steelies I have a chance at  ;D (and I also don't need to prove myself to you, but I also have witnesses for all 5 fish. In most cases they were the pissed off people ahead of me  :) )

And yes... I only have 2 people I fish with cause no one can keep up  :D
And I have been out the last 4 days in a row, first day I got skunked, since then I found em'  ;D  ;D

mike123

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2010, 10:24:06 PM »

Right on, sounds like you got some good holes kid. Hopefully the produce for you all season.

Cheers