Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, January 4th 2011  (Read 2945 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, January 4th 2011
« on: January 04, 2011, 06:15:11 PM »

With the feeling most of the hordes of anglers would be back at work and at school after the holidays I decided it was time to get back on the river this afternoon.

It was very pleasant out there and I fished from the Rock Quarry down to just about to Lickman Road, covering the left bank of the river. During the 4 hours of fishing I did not see one person on the side I was working although the other side had a few anglers. I fished right to dark and had a fair hike back to the Leaf Mobile and even had trouble finding the trail through the bush in the dark. ???

Even though I fished a lot of good water my float did not dip once. I did see the sign of two fresh kills in the Peach Road area and in talking to the Master he landed two steelhead this morning. He also mentioned that it has been fairly slow the last few days, maybe he was just trying to make me feel better for a lack of a fish so far but I know if I keep at it my first will come shortly, I hope.

DionJL

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, January 4th 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2011, 07:26:21 PM »

It was slow for Matt and I today as well. We fished dawn to dusk covering lots of water and didn't have a single take-down. Few guys on the river, which was nice, but didn't make a difference in the catch total.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2011, 08:32:58 PM »

I had one on and off with a quick headshake in the morning below the first spot, but it was sloooow.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2011, 09:09:35 PM »

I hit the river yesterday and within two hours missed two, lost one, and landed a nice little hatchery.  ;D Today I did what most of us do when we have a day like that......drop everything and go fishing again......right to the same spot..... hoping some fish are still around. ??? I packed up around 1pm, hit the Sumas Tims for a double double, and was on the road sipping my coffee thinking about Chrome Steelhead. I stopped at Keith Wilson and was really surprised to see the canal looking prime with only about 4 anglers in sight. Thought about it but could not resist driving a little further to the run from yesterday. As I cruised by the crossing bridge I saw a dude crossing with a freaking slab in his hand which looked to be around 14 pounds, hmmm "probably not gonna connect again today" I think. Get to my spot around 2pm, and hike out of sight, the forest is totally quiet with just the crunch of icy snow. The river comes into view and I cannot see another angler on either side up or down. I come across a full pack of Djarum smokes that I had lost yesterday, "could be a good omen" I think as I light one up and sip my coffee....iphone playing some tunes.... the water looks good and I cannot help but keep looking at the tail out where I got into fish yesterday.

Time to bait up with some crusty coho roe thats been in my bait box for a month. I start at the top of the pool, and watch my chartruse cleardrift lazily make its way along a seam into some slow water, and it takes a dive!  :o I set the hook hard and feel a solid fish...then off. Quickly rebait and work a few more drifts through that water but the fish is not interested in seconds. Eying up the tail out, I cannot resist it, and just let my drift go....right into the sweet spot. I get a sense of deja vu as that little chartruse cap disappears in the exact same spot as yesterday give or take a foot....I set the hook hard but even my 13' GLX can't pick up enough line to connect. >:(

With trembling hands I pull out some more crusty roe and make my way down river for a shorter drift. Flick it on out there and reel in a little to line the drift up. Sure enough the scenario plays out just like yesterday......the float goes down hard again! ::) I am ready and connect with a beauty hatchery doe that puts up a very spirited fight. When you have been playing coho for the last two months it is amazing to feel "Steel" at the end of your line, even for a small fish this one took several nice runs  and an one great leap.

All in all I am a half hour into my day, smoking a Djarum, sitting next to a silver bullet that is bleeding out.....stoked  ;D

and yes  I will be there tomorrow

fish bonk

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2011, 09:22:38 PM »

Nice.......Fish
good read.

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2011, 09:28:11 PM »

Choice! ;D

deepcovehooker

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2011, 09:53:37 AM »

Arrived at Lickman about 7:45 yesterday.  Had one on for a few minutes but lost it after one run.  Nothing much happening after that so headed up to the crossing and started working my way upstream.  Brought on 7 lb. wild to the rivers edge and released it.  So far this year all I have got near shore are wilds, anyone else having that problem.

However wilds are better than no fish.

Grub

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2011, 10:04:24 AM »

yeah wild fish are a pain.
not cool enough for a banner

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2011, 10:44:51 AM »

Wild over hatchery any day

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2011, 02:56:53 PM »

Damn straight on that ;)

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2011, 03:31:33 PM »

Thats all I seem to be able to catch  ;D

Hooked 6 in 12 trips this year, not bad for December and early January.
That one was from Jan 2nd, my last day back home.

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2011, 03:44:55 PM »

you can't leave one for someone else....can you!? haha

beauty fish!

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2011, 04:50:03 PM »

ed, nice fish!

FISHIN MAGICIAN

• Shut up an' Fish
    • Ocean Adventure Center
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2011, 06:34:57 PM »

Right on bud!
"You go in the cage--The cage goes in the water- - Shark's in the water--Our shark-Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish ladies, Farewell and Adieu to you fair Spanish Ladies at Sea.." -Quint

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2011, 12:18:56 PM »

glad u didnt fish the canal on the 3rd hue-nut u might have caught my fish ;D