Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Large vs small arbor spinning reels  (Read 9435 times)

VAGAbond

• Old Timer
Large vs small arbor spinning reels
« on: January 07, 2011, 12:54:02 PM »

More years ago than I care to admit, the first reel of my own was a large arbor spinning reel.   I have subsequently owned numerous large arbor reels over several generations of technology.     Already quite a few years ago I purchased a 'new' type of small arbor spinning reel and wow, I could cast much better because the line seemed to come of the small arbor better.     So now all my modest collection of spinning reels are small arbor types.

I now see advertisements for large arbor reels - because it is claimed- the line comes off better than on small arbor reels.

Has anybody compared the two types of spinning reels to see which casts better?

bigblue

• Old Timer
Re: Large vs small arbor spinning reels
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 03:11:01 PM »

I have used two spinning reels of almost same capacity this season with different arbor size.

One is the Daiwa Tierra 3000 with a 55mm arbor and another a Mitchell 300 Xe with a 45mm arbor.
As I was using identical braid lines on both reels, casting was really easy on both reels and so can't tell much difference.
However, line pickup after casting was more clean with the larger arbor Daiwa.
With the smaller arbor Mitchell, I was having more problems of line getting laid on the face of the spool when not careful during initial retrieve.
Sometime this line would loop off and get tangled with the line out. Kind of hard to describe, but it was a very annoying problem with the Mitchell.
My guess is that the smaller size of the arbor made line pick up less clean.

Also another thing to consider is that with smaller arbor size, there is less space for the drag disk washers.
For same capcity reel, larger arbor reels will have a more robust drag system because everything is bigger.
Daiwa's washers have almost twice the area of Mitchell washers and are more powerful/smooth as a result.
That 10mm difference, which might seem small, translates into a much bigger drag disk.
Something to consider when targeting powerful fish like salmon and steelhead.

work2fish

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 05:38:36 PM »

With spinning reels I haven't found as much of a difference with arbor size.  I have noticed a difference in casting between reels when the shape of the spool is different, with the ones having a slight taper towards the top of the spool casting better than a spool that is not tapered.  Only issues is you tend to only find those type of spools on reels with a rear drag. (I prefer rear drag reels, but they're not everyone's favorite.)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 05:40:13 PM by work2fish »

Danube Boy

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 06:03:46 PM »

With spinning reels I haven't found as much of a difference with arbor size.  I have noticed a difference in casting between reels when the shape of the spool is different, with the ones having a slight taper towards the top of the spool casting better than a spool that is not tapered.  Only issues is you tend to only find those type of spools on reels with a rear drag. (I prefer rear drag reels, but they're not everyone's favorite.)

All front drag, most if not all with tapered spools, and all outrageously expensive (some $1000+).  :o

http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa_reels/daiwa_spinning_reels.htm

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 07:02:18 PM »

You know what they say about big reels, you gotta have big hands. You know what they say about big hands. The big reel always get the babes. ;D
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

rheticus

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2011, 10:15:33 PM »

In the "New Products" section of the latest BC Outdoors Sport Fishing magazine one item mentioned is a Pflueger Arbour (or Arbor) Spinning Reel. Anyone have any experience with this reel? Any impressions about value for money? Which shops are carrying them?

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2011, 11:16:05 PM »

You know what they say about big reels, you gotta have big hands. You know what they say about big hands. The big reel always get the babes. ;D

Van Staal: ultimate big arbor reel! Got a 3" spool diameter to boot.
This reel sure will get the babes attention. :o

http://www.vanstaal.com/VSS300_reels.htm

work2fish

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2011, 10:46:35 AM »

All front drag, most if not all with tapered spools, and all outrageously expensive (some $1000+).  :o

http://www.japantackle.com/Daiwa_reels/daiwa_spinning_reels.htm
I'd never spend more than $150 and that's even high for a grinder.  I just don't see there being that much benefit to having a $1000 grinder.  Most of the $60 spinning reels I've had for over 10 years, some are going on 25, though it does help to maintain them properly.  I could see spending that on a unique CP though lol

skaha

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2011, 11:03:08 AM »

--reel must fit the rod and line used plus and minus to both.

--large arbor... bigger loop coming off in cast.. may slap rod before first guide. if it doesn't slap the rod then not a problem.
--the distance of the first guide, size of guide and distance of foot from the rod all effects how the line will travel through... different in short cast vs long cast.. thus may want to have more than one spool of line for different situations.

--wave spin, shark tooth... different styles of spools effect how the line comes off the spool.

--these are all personal preferences rather than right or wrong.. We both have same badminton racket... on person is an aggressive slammer.. other is a finesse net player... both have to have the other tools even if it is not their preference to be successful.

--if reel isn't working for you...  try different line diameter and stiffness, amount of line on reel...adjust position you are holding line before cast.. I find each reel and line requires some adjustments to how I cast. 
--do you need to spend $1000 on a reel... perhaps not, but do you want to try one.. you betcha.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:18:28 AM by skaha »