Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, January 8th 2011  (Read 4664 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, January 8th 2011
« on: January 08, 2011, 06:35:19 PM »

Checked the river this afternoon and saw it fishable so I put in 3 hours of fishing some nice water. During my time out I had few good snow showers which made the water look even better. ;D Things looked so good I thought my float would be going down at any time but all the positive thoughts did not help me get into my first Iron for this season.

Did not see many anglers out and heard of only one fish that was taken this morning but I only talked to 3 anglers. All I brought home was a DNE float.

James

Re: Chilliwack River, January 8th 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 12:01:19 AM »

I have been reading your fishing reports on this forum for the last couple years . There are always well written and entertaining . Ever thought of compiling them all and making a book ?

anyway , I also noticed that you find a fair amount of floats , and not just the regular 'dink' floats . You must have some secret spots for finding them all .

Really enjoy your journal entries .

Good Luck in your hunt for the first steel of the season :)

vancook

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2011, 01:47:44 AM »

Chris knows all the log jams on the vedder lol. I've seen a few spots with a ton of floats trapped...but not accesible at all...would go past your chest waders easily.
With the snow falling maybe you'll have another go tomorrow and land a chrome slab.
I'll be pumping bugs tomorrow for my outting on monday.  ;D

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2011, 09:26:52 AM »

Chris knows all the log jams on the vedder lol. I've seen a few spots with a ton of floats trapped...but not accesible at all...would go past your chest waders easily.
With the snow falling maybe you'll have another go tomorrow and land a chrome slab.
I'll be pumping bugs tomorrow for my outting on monday.  ;D

a little early and pointless to be using bugs..
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2011, 09:33:20 AM »

a little early and pointless to be using bugs..
Maybe you can elaborate on this.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2011, 09:45:54 AM »

the effort to actually go and get bugs combined with the fact that this time of year other baits will be working as good or better. For me bugs are pointless until the water warms up towards the end of feb into march, if i even bother at all to go get them. they used to work much better than they do now as more people seem to be using them.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2011, 10:20:04 AM »

Never a bad time for bugs.  I used to live 20 minutes from the beach when I lived down that way so getting them was never a problem.  Caught numerous Steelhead in all winter months. 

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 11:19:21 AM »

Might be my aging brain, but wasn't there a ban on bug collection sometime last year?  I tried to do a search but couldn't find anything...  perhaps Rodney knows?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2011, 11:24:11 AM »

Not that I am aware of, but I could also be wrong because of my aging. ;D

If anyone wants to see Chris' float collection, you just have to come to one of the river cleanups where he always brings a huge box of them to give away. ;)

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2011, 11:50:11 AM »

With regards to sand shrimp did a quick check on the tidal regulations. You are restricted to using a means such as a hand pump, etc. for collection. There is a daily limit/person of 50 a day and the possession limit is 100. See tidal regulations for more details.

the carp

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2011, 12:58:37 PM »

never a bad time to use bugs, plus the bonus of a nice outing at the beach, and a feed of white rock fish and chips
[/quote]

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2011, 01:14:06 PM »

never a bad time to use bugs, plus the bonus of a nice outing at the beach, and a feed of white rock fish and chips

Yes the trip down and a feast at White Rock was more rewarding than the bugs. Also pumping bugs in the dark, in the winter when the tide was low enough after dark and you were the only one there except the ducks quacking as well as feeding on the flats was also an experience, a little spooky at times.

blaydRnr

• Old Timer
  • nothing like the first bite of the season
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2011, 01:29:07 AM »

Yes the trip down and a feast at White Rock was more rewarding than the bugs. Also pumping bugs in the dark, in the winter when the tide was low enough after dark and you were the only one there except the ducks quacking as well as feeding on the flats was also an experience, a little spooky at times.

when you say after dark, i take it you're referring to 'within the hour after sundown?' ....because to my understanding, the harvesting of crustaceans and bivalves are also restricted to the same regulations stated for other fin fish like salmon and sturgeon...please correct me if i'm mistaken.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011, 01:48:30 AM by blaydRnr »

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2011, 08:50:25 AM »

when you say after dark, i take it you're referring to 'within the hour after sundown?' ....because to my understanding, the harvesting of crustaceans and bivalves are also restricted to the same regulations stated for other fin fish like salmon and sturgeon...please correct me if i'm mistaken.

Are you sure?

The only time I've seen the "hour after sunset" reference has been for salmon on the river, not in the ocean.
Sturgeon - you can fish 24 hours a day.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2011, 10:11:00 AM »

I have not seen or heard of this on the Ocean. I do know that it first came in to effect on the Fraser River a few years ago for salmon to curtail people who would go out shortly before midnight and take their 2 sockeye and then wait until the clock hit 12 AM. They then would start after another 2 fish for a legal possesion limit of 4.

It then came into effect on the Chilliwack Vedder River and the Chehalis as well. I am not sure if this regulation is on other rivers as I have never checked as not interested in fishing in the dark.