Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, January 8th 2011  (Read 4661 times)

lucky

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, January 8th 2011
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2011, 10:48:02 AM »

I have not seen or heard of this on the Ocean. I do know that it first came in to effect on the Fraser River a few years ago for salmon to curtail people who would go out shortly before midnight and take their 2 sockeye and then wait until the clock hit 12 AM. They then would start after another 2 fish for a legal possesion limit of 4.

It then came into effect on the Chilliwack Vedder River and the Chehalis as well. I am not sure if this regulation is on other rivers as I have never checked as not interested in fishing in the dark.

Crab fishing is off limits after dark in the Indian arm and Burrard inlet, but I can't find anything regarding pumpin bugs in White rock?

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/opportunities-possibilites/crabclosureFN18-eng.htm

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2011, 10:57:54 AM »

Crab fishing is off limits after dark in the Indian arm and Burrard inlet, but I can't find anything regarding pumpin bugs in White rock?

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/opportunities-possibilites/crabclosureFN18-eng.htm

Thanks. If it is there someone will find it shortly. ;D ;D ;D

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2011, 04:07:41 PM »

Did a search on the DFO site for "ghost shrimp" - came up with this:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/species-especes/shelltable-tableaucoquille-eng.htm
(near the bottom)

Species                               |   Area    | Min.  Size | Limit Daily | Poss. Limit | Season Open |  Gear Permitted 
Ghost Shrimp (Sand Shrimp) | 1 to 29   |    N/A      |      50        |     100      |    All Year      | Hand digging & hand pump 

There doesn't appear to be any time-of-day closure.
Still looking...

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2011, 04:37:56 PM »

when you say after dark, i take it you're referring to 'within the hour after sundown?' ....because to my understanding, the harvesting of crustaceans and bivalves are also restricted to the same regulations stated for other fin fish like salmon and sturgeon...please correct me if i'm mistaken.

As far as the relation to fin fish... you may want to check the regs again.
Most of the rivers here are only restricted to "daylight hours" at certain times of year, and ONLY for salmon.
To my knowledge you could fish the Vedder river at night for Springs in July if you really wanted to, since it states "daylight hours only" for all from Sept 01- Dec 31.

If someones finds anything different in the regs I would like to know, because believe me, I have gone through a few times now  ???

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2011, 05:27:30 PM »

As far as the relation to fin fish... you may want to check the regs again.
Most of the rivers here are only restricted to "daylight hours" at certain times of year, and ONLY for salmon.
To my knowledge you could fish the Vedder river at night for Springs in July if you really wanted to, since it states "daylight hours only" for all from Sept 01- Dec 31.

If someones finds anything different in the regs I would like to know, because believe me, I have gone through a few times now  ???
Why would you want to fish at night anyway and get eaten by the bears and cougars. ;D ;D

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2011, 07:44:10 PM »

Why would you want to fish at night anyway and get eaten by the bears and cougars. ;D ;D

Why would you want to fish during the day and get eaten by bears and cougars ? ;D ;D ;D

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2011, 08:33:15 PM »

Come on Chris, the cougars aren't out at night, they're in the bars looking for nice young guys like ED.  ;D

Def LOL'ed when I saw this  ;D Nice  :D
I was gonna post a comment along those lines but couldn't think of how to word it.

And Chris, to escape the crowds  ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2011, 10:29:58 PM »

Come on Chris, the cougars aren't out at night, they're in the bars looking for nice young guys like ED.  ;D
Maybe I should have used the word Mountain Lions but do lions mean the same as cougars?  ;D ;D

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2011, 10:38:39 PM »

This thread has certainly strayed, going from a fishing report, to pumping ghost shrimp at White Rock, flossing sockeye on the Fraser at all hours of the night, then flossing steelhead on the Chilliwack Vedder in the dark to Everyday being chased by wild animals. Well I guesss I might as well add, the Leafs won tonight again.;D ;D ;D