Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, January 10th 2011  (Read 2253 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Chilliwack River, January 10th 2011
« on: January 10, 2011, 11:38:33 PM »

This morning I waited until it warmed up some before heading out to try to break my recent steelhead slump.

I got a call from Lew who was just coming off the river, he asked me to join him for coffee at Vedder Crossing. We had just started to enjoy our coffee when I got a call from the alarm company that the alarm had been set off at home. So I quickly returned home but found no activity had taken place.

I finally was on the river by about 1:30 and headed to where I wanted to start but I saw a fellow working towards the run, I left it to him. I was fishing pro cured shrimp today to see if it would change my bad luck for this season. I was just starting to fish the first run when I see the angler that was heading to the run I was going to fish doing some swinging action. Darn he has landed a fish. Maybe it would have been mine if the alarm had not gone off. I laugh as I see him trying to cover up the blood to disguise where he had taken his fish. I will slip up there near the end of the day to see if the now departed fish has a companion there, waiting for me.

I fish the Soccer Run as it looks so nice , there has to be a fish there I say to myself. I work from the top to the tail out a couple of times and half way through the run on the second trip  through the float submerges , I set the hook but to no avail as the gear comes back sans the shrimp. That has to be a fish I think as I put on another bait, will it give me a second chance?
 I make a few more casts through the same line, thinking the float will go down at any time but it does not. Maybe it did not like the taste of the shrimp. Its getting cold now as the end of the day is about 30 minutes away and the wind does not help much, the guides are icing up too. My bare hands are freezing so I give the fish a rest as I warm them up some. As I warm up I find a nice filleting knife caught up in a log jam. Against my better judgement I slip the unsheathed knife in my back back.

Warmed up a little I decide to try a roe bag for a bit for a change of the menu and then when that has no results I go back to the shrimp but I find no interest from my quarry. I decide to try the run where I saw the fish taken so I start walking upstream. I run into another angler working down, I stop for a chat. He said he has just come back from the Stamp and he says fishing was good there. I tell him about the fish I missed and said to him maybe you can get him,I tell him where in the run I missed it.

I reach the last run of the day and see the steelhead blood stain as the fellow did a poor job of trying to hide it. I make a few casts but find no one home so I head for home. As I trudge down the Rotary Trail thinking of another missed opportunity I hit a patch of ice and go crashing to the ground, in a heap, A person passing by asks if I am OK and I say fine, just a bit embarrassed. As I gain my feet I then think of that long filleting knife in the pack, I know I should not have put it there but I was lucky that I fell the right way and did not received the sharp point of the knife in my back.

I reach the Leaf Mobile no worst for wear and welcome a warm bath at home along with a nice steak dinner. I also listen to Alexandra Morton on CBC for an hour talking about the fish farm issue and how we must protect out wild salmon.

It was then off to badminton where the day improved some as I won a few game and then got home in time to see the Leafs wrap up another win. I guess the day was not too bad after all but a steelhead would have been nice but we must remember they are a fish of 1,000 casts for some of us but darn I think I am close to 2,000 now, maybe next time, we must remember when in a slump, after each cast you are one cast closer to a bit of chrome.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2011, 01:11:12 AM by Rodney »

joska

• Old Timer
Re: Chilliwack River, January 10th, 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2011, 07:18:09 AM »

like always another great post chris. next time fish with a canucks float and see what happens. ::)
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

Steelie1030

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2011, 10:43:47 AM »

Chris: I've never had the opportunity to meet you but through your writings I know you well. I read almost all your posts and am of the opinion that you should perhaps assemble all your ramblings into a book. You could entitle it 'The musings of an old steelheader'.
I first started steelheading on the Vedder in 1974 and have read lots of fishing books and I believe you have the talent to put it all together....but I know you probably wouldn't have time with all your other interests let alone fishing itself.
Good luck getting your first of the season..it won't be long now

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2011, 01:33:27 PM »

Chris: I've never had the opportunity to meet you but through your writings I know you well. I read almost all your posts and am of the opinion that you should perhaps assemble all your ramblings into a book. You could entitle it 'The musings of an old steelheader'.
I first started steelheading on the Vedder in 1974 and have read lots of fishing books and I believe you have the talent to put it all together....but I know you probably wouldn't have time with all your other interests let alone fishing itself.
Good luck getting your first of the season..it won't be long now
Thanks so much for your kind words and I am glad you have enjoyed the stories and The Journal I have written since I first joined FWR many years ago.  I enjoyed writing them, sometimes I go back and read some of them.

The trouble in putting them in a book would be I am not a trained journalists and was terrible in English at school so the stories would take a lot of editing for spelling, grammar etc.. I have asked Rodney some time ago to gather up all the stories and put them all together but I am not sure if he has yet.

Thanks again for following the stories of my ups and downs while fishing on a few of our great rivers in British Columbia.

penn

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2011, 01:57:41 PM »

Thanks so much for your kind words and I am glad you have enjoyed the stories and The Journal I have written since I first joined FWR many years ago.  I enjoyed writing them, sometimes I go back and read some of them.

The trouble in putting them in a book would be I am not a trained journalists and was terrible in English at school so the stories would take a lot of editing for spelling, grammar etc.. I have asked Rodney some time ago to gather up all the stories and put them all together but I am not sure if he has yet.

Thanks again for following the stories of my ups and downs while fishing on a few of our great rivers in British Columbia.
I Tried to look at your link to your photos and apparently it doesn't work . At least for me it didn't .

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2011, 02:32:35 PM »

I Tried to look at your link to your photos and apparently it doesn't work . At least for me it didn't .
I mentined it to Rodney and I thought he said he could fix the problem?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2011, 02:38:59 PM »

Always trying to give me more work... ;D

The photo gallery problem will be taken care of. We have a new gallery so the old one does not work anymore, including all the albums in the old one. The new gallery can be found at:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/gallery

I also have put most (not all) of Chris' entries in this link:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/blog/?cat=17

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2011, 07:38:28 PM »

Good of you to keep a record of it Rod. Really great and personable stuff to read, thanks for taking the time to come up with these great reports Chris!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 06:46:45 PM »

Chris,you are one lucky guy and glad to reach the end of that story.
Dont be packin a knfe around without a propper sheath folks.
Life is too short allready and no point in trying to shorten it.
Chris,go sit in the corner. ;)

abito

• my gallery
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 06:54:41 PM »

with computers nowadays no need for proper grammar and spelling just click spell check  ;D