Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Buffalo New York, January 8th 2011: Steelhead  (Read 4896 times)

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Buffalo New York, January 8th 2011: Steelhead
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 09:06:46 AM »

sounds like a good time over there. I would love to be able to take a month or so off work and fish across Canada to Newfoundland, PEI and Nove Scotia   ;D its one of those bucket list things and kind of a trip of a lifetime for me because i love this country
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 11:49:19 AM »

re your mentioning the lead levels in those eastern fish. While we don't have those toxins here, but we do have toxic atlantic salmon. I have long said that we should be handed a pamphlet explaining the toxicity of escaped atlantic salmon, along with our fishing licences (many farmed atlanic salmon are fed antibiotics to the point of being toxic and must be de-toxed before going to market).

So enjoy your eastern fishing it the best I have ever experienced bar-none.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Floater

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2011, 03:20:37 PM »

Looks like an awesome river!
[

Dogbreath

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2011, 06:25:53 PM »

Looks like an awesome river!
Yes it does-I saw a youtube of guys in a jetboat just nailing one Steelie after another action like I've only seen once in my life 15+ years ago on the Gold-which for all intents and purposes is finished now.

SpringMaster

• Fish is on...life is good!
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 01:23:42 PM »

Yes, the rivers are great.  Lower and Upper Niagara river are great for fishing all year round!
I still wonder if salmon swimming upstream in Lower Niagara try to go up the Niagara falls :)  that would be an awesome footage to have.
When you go out fishing here, you really need to take all sorts of baits and tackle with you, because you could get tired of one specie and could easily switch to another.  I've been only targeting Salmon and Steelhead so far.
If any of you guys planning a trip to Toronto, make sure to give yourself extra few days for fishing.  You gonna love it.  However, make sure you check reports and websites to know where to go to and what to target ahead of time.  That way your trip will be worth it.
Have a look at this youtube video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQFWakbUUXo
Also you can watch his other videos and read his blogs on:  www.canadian-sportfishing.com to familiarize yourself with fishing techniques in Ontario.
Enjoy.
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

SpringMaster

« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2011, 01:52:57 PM »

just found couple of more photos to share:
This river is the 18-mile creek; and I'm holding the brown beauty :)

This is another Steelhead from the same river:

Enjoy!
<º))))><`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

<º))))><      Always        sharpen        your          hooks! <º))))><·.¸¯ ¸.·´¯`·.¸,.·´<º))))>< `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸<º))))><.·´¯<º))))><¯`·.¸,.·´¯¯`·.¸,.

SpringMaster

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 01:45:45 PM »

Oops!  Forgot this one yesterday;

You like the photoshop skill?  :D

Nitroholic

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2011, 01:53:36 PM »

that one is a little ripe

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2011, 03:06:33 PM »

Oops!  Forgot this one yesterday;

You like the photoshop skill?  :D
Is that a Brown?

SpringMaster

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2011, 08:25:15 AM »

Yes, that's a female Brown Trout. 
She was full of eggs, and if you look closely you'll see eggs are falling out of her belly.
They can get quite large at this nick of woods.

SpringMaster

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2011, 08:57:25 AM »

To be honest, I should have let that nice fish go :-[...I was too excited about landing a fish that I felt like I deserve to keep it.  But this is a rookie mistake in my opinion.  I haven't been fishing that long in my life, so you might understand this feeling. 
On the positive note, when one of the fishermen saw the eggs, he asked if he could have the eggs, and he milked the eggs out into a ziploc bag.  He was going to cure them and put them in eggs sacks for steelhead fishing.  I'm going to focus on catch & release in the future, unless I'm starving! 
My apologies to the beautiful brown trout and also those who felt bad for the fish. 

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2011, 11:03:25 PM »

I wouldn't let that bother you, many of us in our novice days kept fish like that. It is a learning thing. Top guns (or anglers) all eventually become selective anglers when they face the reality that they can only eat so many fish. I always tell those who get on their high horse with a novice over taking a colored fish; "let them eat a real ripe fish. They will only do it once."
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

SpringMaster

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2011, 09:38:24 AM »

Thanks newsman...
I respect those top guns who haven't forgotten that they were novice one day themselves :)

camtheman

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2011, 07:39:18 PM »

thanks for the great read

azafai

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2011, 12:12:26 PM »

Thanks newsman...
I respect those top guns who haven't forgotten that they were novice one day themselves :)

X2  :)