Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Cowichan River, January 25th 2011  (Read 1111 times)

legend

• There's no nookie like Chinookie
Cowichan River, January 25th 2011
« on: January 25, 2011, 07:33:05 PM »

Today was going to be the day , as river levels were starting to become more favorable  I thought that the Cowichan would be a nice change from some of the smaller creeks I had been fishing during this stretch of high water.  I started out rather late and arrived to the river  9am to find one other truck parked at the head of the trail where I decided to start my day. As I walked down the steep hill and approached the swift moving river I couldn't help but notice the picture perfect color of the water Steelhead green with great visibility. The stretch of water I was planning to fish would certainly hold fish in tight to the bank as the river is still high  . As I walked in further to this prime area a couple of large Bald Eagles were tolling the area as well. I arrived to the first destination after a 15 min hike over some very slick trails through a small side channel only to discover the only other angler in the area had the same destination as me. I stopped and talked to the gentleman and ask if he had any luck he informed me he just arrived and had only made two casts so of i went down river to another stretch . I set up my Center pin with a small BC Orange Gooey Bob with a piece of white wool just above the Bob the wool was combed out an trimmed to make a perfect looking presentation. Casting at this spot is very difficult due to overhanging branches this was evident by all the floats pink worms etc that were hanging from the trees all around me. The water was around 5 feet deep a brisk walking speed I could see bottom through the deep green water there was some branches above me contacting the water causing a slight turbulence. I made several casts starting from the bank working  towards the middle of the river about 12 casts in maybe 7 feet from shore the float goes down and I lift the tip and set the #4 DNE into this chrome bullet which goes absolutely awall exploding from the deep green and shows himself this was a clean fish in the teens and it wanted no part of this situation it was in and it quickly took me to school breaking me off out in the main current and crushing my hopes of getting a quick photo op with him.  So I reel in and re rig with a twin to the last presentation as I have hooked 11 of my 14 fish this year on these little Bobs they are my "go to" presentation. And to my surprise 3 cast later same spot wham fish on this time no jump and for about 5 min tug o war ensues and this fish is strong as the last one testing my abilities to the fullest and once again the Steel prevailed and snapped my 10lb fluorocarbon. I fished this stretch for another hour or so and managed to hook into a fiesty 14 " rainbow and released it. And decided That I blew my chance at this spot and walked out in utter disappointment on the way out I stopped and had a good talk to the other angler and he had no steel but a 16" Brown so that was it for today will post back with the next adventure from the Cowichan in the week or so.  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 08:24:24 PM by legend »

Dennis.t

• Old Timer
Re: Cowichan River, January 25th 2011
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 08:30:20 PM »

Thanks for sharing.I hope to get over there sometime this winter and once again hunt steel on the Cowie,its been way too long since i fished that great river.Had some stellar days at Stolzs in yrs gone by.

living_blind

• My Band - Kilmore Place
Re: Cowichan River, January 25th 2011
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 05:01:28 PM »

wow great read. heartbreakers for sure. Thanks for posting.