Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chilliwack River, January 30th 2011  (Read 5335 times)

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
Re: Chilliwack River, January 30th 2011
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2011, 03:00:08 PM »

FF, it's still January, not T-shirt weather yet! I'm shivering just looking at your pic. :o

Nice catch, I'm jealous. ;D Maybe I'll get one this week... :-\
trust me rod I was cold I was only in my t shirt cause I dropped my camera down my waders. At -1 I won't be dropping my camera any time soon I didn't feel that cold I think cause my blood was pumping threw me. I think the only reason I got one was cause I didnt fish the same bait for more then a half hour the bait I got my fish on was only one for four casts
« Last Edit: January 31, 2011, 03:04:11 PM by fly fisher »
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

ribolovac02

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2011, 09:29:30 PM »

I didn't actually hook the fish there I was a few hundred yards up river, nice spot to land a fish though :)
:D :D

Nuggy

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2011, 09:36:09 PM »

Steely, I would like to read your report it but it looks like one big sentence about six inches long and it makes it hard on the eyes and brain.

Try leaving some gaps every now and then to separate some of the sentences or paragraphs and it will make a big difference.

Cheers
Nuggy

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2011, 09:09:12 AM »

Decided after a couple of weeks without fishing to scratch the fishing itch. The destination the Chilliwack River the prize(hopefully) a chrome steelhead. Alarm went off at 5:45 and my Dad and I where on the road to Fred's Custom Tackle to pick up my reel which I had fell on a a few weeks prior after slipping on a patch of ice.

Felt soles defiantly are useless on ice, just ask to two screws which snapped as my body tumbled to the ground :o After arriving a Fred's and getting their report of the happenings the last few days we were off to choose are fishing destination to start from. We had missed the first light bite as we left the store around 8:30 but we weren't too discouraged as this was a more lax trip then our three other trips this season.

A quick peak at the river at the crossing made us decide to head to the upper river as the visibility was less then two feet. As we pulled up to our fishing location we notice three other vehicles parked there already trying to fulfill the same feat we were trying to accomplish. As we were rigging up a fellow angler was walking back to his car, no luck and nothing seen was his reply :-\ We walked in anyway hoping our luck would be different. On the walk in I couldn't help but think of our previous trips this season, three trips and one fish lost which I guess is decent considering all the trips were in late December but today would hopefully be different.

I also thought about the numerous chances I had had over the last 2 seasons to land my second ever winter chrome but failed. When Will the next fish come, I know a they are a fish of a thousand casts but this was starting to get ridiculous :P The thoughts now vanished as I could now see the green tinged water in front of me with maybe 2-3 feet of visibility, PERFECT! The first hole we came to already had to anglers working it so we left it to them and started walking down stream.

We approached a run with nobody fishing it, 3- 4 feet deep and choppy, EXELLENT! Fresh roe bags are slipped on to two bare, red gammy's as the first cold gust hits my face. I leave the tailout to my Dad as I walk to the head of the run with a little bounce in my step. First few casts yield nothing and as I start to stare at the beautiful scenery the float plummets under as am staring off into space, the hookset is to late as a now destroyed roe bag comes back to hand. A few superlatives are muttered as a new bag is inserted into the bait loop.

This seems to be a reoccurring theme I have heard on some fishing reports from the forum this season ;D A few more drifts are completed before a voice is heard from just a few feet below me "There's something!" My heart skips a few beats until I hear " Crap, it's a rock" followed by a loud SNAP! As my Dad re-ties I finish working the run, leaving no water uncovered but no more strikes for myself. As I watch my Dad fiddle with the roe knot I look down river and see a gorgeous piece of water with no one at it so I tell him I'm heading down river. He responds sarcastically" Just don't fall again because you'll have to pay for it to be fixed next time" :P

As I glide across the slippery rocks my pace starts to quicken. I wade into shallow water to get around a tree jutting out into the river as I see a small slick in front of me no more then two and a half feet deep on the edge of very turbulent rapids, the slick is surrounded by medium sized rocks but is just deep enough I can't see bottom. I look down river and see two more anglers now working a large run just below my targetted spot. I think to myself I can throw a few casts here and then walk down and still fish the next run before there done working the one below.

All these holes are in succession and separated by rapids. My first cast into the small slick offers up nothing, the second cast the float shoots under and I set the hook and I feel a dead weight at the end of my line, the tell tail sign of the famous rock fish just as my gear comes flying back at me :-[ I look at the roe bag and it's still completely intact.

I start to hook the bait back onto my rod to walk down but forsome reason I stop and throw one more cast. Right before a rock the float is dragged under again, I pull as I feel the steady pull on the end of my line " Not again" I say out loud as I give the rod another yank but I am greeted by a couple of small headshakes ;D My heart skips a few beats as I see a small head come into view below me but I don't get a clear view of the fish. I think it is a Trout of some sort as I decide not to yell to my Dad as he is up around the corner and out of plain sight. The roar of the water would make it hard for him to hear me anyway.

Just as I refocus on the fish it takes to the air and shows it's bright silver sides. That's not a trout, that's a nice steely ;D The fish slides underneath a boulder as I try to shake the line free while wading into the water. Just as the fish comes free it takes off into the current as I yell to my Dad but I know he can't hear me, UH OH! I chase the fish down river hopping from rock to rock as line peels from the now fixed centerpin. I am now into the hole I wanted to fish as the fish starts to tire in front of me. I have a small window of opportunity to land this fish but it may also head for a second set of rapids, As I ease the fish in it feels the rocks for the first time and takes off again into the rapids, CRAP :'( now chasing the fish another hundred yards was the only option.

As I sprinted down to the next run I yelled to a couple of other fisherman that the fish is coming down as the fish scims across boulders on it's way down. Finally I have a nice spot to land this fish after 15 minutes of chasing :) I start to guide this fish in as my Dad sprints up from behind me and the fish decides it wants one more shot at freedom as I fumble with my reel as one of the handles comes off in my hand. "That's not good" I say while another angler informes me the fish is hatchery. I glide the fish in one more time as my Dad tails it. Just as he's doing that my leader snaps but the fish is already being pushed up on shore. Fred's weighed the fish in at 12 pounds 8 ounces and is my first ever Hatchery steelhead. I also drop my reel off again to get the handle fixed >:( My Dad continued to fish for a couple hours but couldn't find anymore takers. It took me five seasons to get my first hatchery but I still have a permanent smile on my face ;D
Me messing with the reel handle

And the fish

Wilson road water, notice the water colour

There you Nuggy. ;D ;D ;D

Excellent story by the way.

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2011, 03:18:26 PM »

Thanks Chris, I didn't realize how much I rambled on until I read through it again. I edited it when it went into the fishing journal but forgot to change the post. I usually do entries like this into a personal fishing journal but this story felt like it needed to be shared ;D Hopefully I can post another one in the coming weeks ;)
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Nuggy

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2011, 04:14:42 PM »

Thanks Chris...you are hired :)

Cheers
Nuggy

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2011, 07:29:01 PM »

FF, that was a truly majestic fish!
Any guess on it's weight?
Tight lines! ;D

fly fisher

• i fish roe roe and more roe
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2011, 10:23:00 PM »

FF, that was a truly majestic fish!
Any guess on it's weight?
Tight lines! ;D
the sts guide their who helped me land it says 15 plus so its my biggest to date and i didn't want to go fishing that day cause my back hurt
There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot

Hooks_of_Fury

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2011, 10:14:23 AM »

that looks like a bulkley fish. just a little deeper than usual id say 15 or more is about right

Hooks_of_Fury

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2011, 10:19:55 AM »

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
« Reply #25 on: February 05, 2011, 08:44:54 AM »

nice report

Hi Nuggy !
hardware == fish